Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times

Advertisements

"You are Not Safe anywhere in Memphis and anyone who say's you are safe is living in a dream world and just has not been out on the streets responding to the shooting, stabbing, car jackings, muggings, and all forms of hate crimes against individuals."

You're right. It's not Mayberry like it was in the 50s and 60s, and I miss those times. It'll never be like that again....it's not really like that in any city of any size any longer. Memphis may be worse that most, but every major city has it's problems. To say you're not safe "anywhere" is simply not true. There are plenty of good areas, bad areas, and everything in between.

I've lived here almost 60 years, and I've never known a single person who was shot, stabbed or carjacked. Two purse snatchings and a mugging (in 1972) are the only personal assaults anyone I'm acquainted with has endured in that entire time. Maybe we live in different areas and travel in different circles. Sounds like you're either in law enforcement or maybe a paramedic or something if you have to respond to those situations. I believe that gives one a distorted view of what the entire city is like.

I'm not saying it's not bad....just not as bad as the picture you paint...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 06:24 PM

482 posts, read 944,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
I see so many comments that give the perception that a visitor to Memphis is in mortal danger once they enter the city limits because crime is so bad here. I'd like to try to dispel that myth. You aren't risking your life, or that of your family members, when you come to Memphis.

Yes, Memphis has a high crime rate - but that statistic can be very misleading. The rate of violent crime (murder, in particular) is the one that strikes fear in everyone's heart - but you have to look at when and where the overwhelming majority of those crimes occur, and who the perps and victims are. The truth is that those crimes are overwhelmingly black-on-black crimes that occur in the poorest neighborhoods...the 'hood, if you will. In most of those cases, the perp and the victim were acquaintances and, seemingly more often, relatives. Alcohol and/or drugs are often involved. That same thing is also true of murders that are not black-on-black or occur in other areas of the city. They result from domestic violence, bar fights, drug deals gone bad, etc.

So, if you stay out of the bad areas of town (and what city doesn't have them?), don't do anything really stupid (like stop at a convenience store in a marginal area at 2:00 AM), and don't get into an argument with a drunk redneck at a seedy bar, you'll be just fine. If you look at the crime rate in the "better" areas of the city I seriously doubt there is any more crime than in any other major city - maybe even less.

I'm not saying Memphis doesn't have it's share of problems. Corrupt politicians, governmental incompetence and waste, high property taxes, etc.; but the city and the surrounding area still have a lot to offer - and can be a nice place to visit or to live.

Now, before anyone labels me a racist for my comments about black-on-black crime, I can assure you that's not the case. I'm just stating the plain facts. It's not a racial issue, it's a poverty issue. It just so happens that, in Memphis, African-Americans are in the majority - and, in the poorest areas, they are the vast majority. That's just part of the history and the reality of the area. If this were another city, that demographic might be Hispanic, Asian...or Caucasian. I was raised poor, but not in poverty, so I don't understand why there is so much anger and such a lack of respect for human life among so many of those people that it leads to such violent behavior.

The really sad thing is that, even in those sections of town, the majority of the people there are wonderful, hard working, church going people. I deal with them every day. Since they can't afford to live elsewhere (or choose not to), the live in fear that tonight the stray bullet might come their way.

I have a new grandson and, like every other grandparent, I'd do absolutely anything to protect him and see that he has a long, happy and successful life. The 'hood is full of grandparents exactly like me - but it must be heartbreaking for them to worry about the future of their own grandkids.

When you visit Memphis, just do the same things you do to be safe in any other city. You'll be just fine

Thank you for your candor and compassion..much appreciated.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 25,574 times
Default Personal experience with crime in Memphis

Hello, I am reading about my hometown on this forum because I am up late and was looking for a small town to retire to in the next 4-5 years since I am 56 now. I have been wanting to visit East Tn and realize that I may have culture shock. The fall leaves are about to turn out east, not ready yet here in Memphis. I look forward to the show every year but especially this year, I have a strong yearning to escape. I have made trips to middle Tn this past summer and found it dry, lacking the lush old trees that I am so fond of living here in Midtown most my life. I truely like the Monteagle Asslembly because all the old houses remind me of home but the area's are so different, the distances are so great, and I find I would like a small town that is a walkable one. So you can see from my post so far that I am not wanting to leave my favorite place in the world. But, as a few of you have experienced, crime in Memphis is not just in the hood anymore. It is what is driving me out, makes me so angry that I am a target for these worthless predators. I am a nurse at Methodist, just a few streets over from my home on McLean. But I am getting really afraid of leaving my house after dark and parking one block from the door of the hospital. I have been mugged and my purse stolen across the street from the hospital, that was 2 years ago. Security ran him down and got my purse back, and I was walking with another nurse at the time. Last year, I was able to identify at 201 Poplar the teens who carjacked me out of my old Volvo, they didn't get the car because my leg was stuck and they tried to push and pull me, this took a lot of their time so they settled on just taking my purse. My checks were chased at Tunica within one hour for over 8000 dollars. I'm saying the amt to let you know this was well coordinated and they had someone on the inside because I only had 150.00 in my account. Crime is now targeted at women, and yes they are watching your every move. I need a safe environment as I get older and less able to protect myself.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:02 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
I don't understand why there is so much anger and such a lack of respect for human life among so many of those people that it leads to such violent behavior.

People hurt when they've been hurt. Black on black crime stems from poor self-esteem and hopelessness. When you've grown up with no father figure and your life has been hell, you grow up angry at the world because you don't see a way out of your situation. A lot of hood cats can't stand others doing better than them so they see them as a threat, and in the inner-city, anytime you're trying to do better, your hated to the point of where threats on your life is made. Growing up in the ghetto, a lot of cats see the hustlers and drug dealers living well and that's what attracts them to the streets. You can eat well in the streets, but sooner or later the streets will eat you. That's what a lot of dudes on the block don't understand. Also, with little or no education, what other option do they have? Hustling. A good hustler can make $500-$1000 or more on the block daily, but that comes with stiff competition in the form of rival hustlers trying to take over your spot.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I don't understand why there is so much anger and such a lack of respect for human life among so many of those people that it leads to such violent behavior.

People hurt when they've been hurt. Black on black crime stems from poor self-esteem and hopelessness. When you've grown up with no father figure and your life has been hell, you grow up angry at the world because you don't see a way out of your situation. A lot of hood cats can't stand others doing better than them so they see them as a threat, and in the inner-city, anytime you're trying to do better, your hated to the point of where threats on your life is made. Growing up in the ghetto, a lot of cats see the hustlers and drug dealers living well and that's what attracts them to the streets. You can eat well in the streets, but sooner or later the streets will eat you. That's what a lot of dudes on the block don't understand. Also, with little or no education, what other option do they have? Hustling. A good hustler can make $500-$1000 or more on the block daily, but that comes with stiff competition in the form of rival hustlers trying to take over your spot.
That's true of EVERY race of people. The question is, When does that stop being an excuse and being the easy way out ? Most people I know that I grew up with that didn't have a father in their life and lived in poor areas of town either busted their butts and succeeded in life or admited that they were lazy, didn't want to do anything and sold drugs, knock off clothers, jewlery, bootleg cd's and movies, ect, ect while they also collected foodstamps and section 8. Being angry at your situation shouldn't also make you lazy to the point where you don't want to bust your butt in school and actually make something of yourself.

And for anyone that says poor people can't afford school, It's B.S. I was raised in a one parent household and my mother made less then $20k a year most years and guess what, When it came time for college, My estimated family contribution was $0. Yes, I now have to payback $15k in loans but atleast I have that peice of paper saying I made something of my life.

growing up in a rough neighborhood without a father is an excuse and not a very good one at that.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
I don't disagree with you, but that's the reality of growing up in the ghetto. At some point, we have to take responsibility for our actions. Accountability isn't real big among the inner-city community; point the finger at everything and everyone else but you....."the white man is keeping me down" lmao....seriously. Many inner-city households are headed by who? a single mother. The man pulls a hit and run and the woman is left to raise the child(ren) solo.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I don't disagree with you, but that's the reality of growing up in the ghetto. At some point, we have to take responsibility for our actions. Accountability isn't real big among the inner-city community; point the finger at everything and everyone else but you....."the white man is keeping me down" lmao....seriously. Many inner-city households are headed by who? a single mother. The man pulls a hit and run and the woman is left to raise the child(ren) solo.
Agreed. That's the problem with this country among other things. I don't want to get a rep as " that guy " but seriously, hip-hop " culture " has ruined the country and it's not just one race. I remember dating a women that was several years older then I was and she happened to live in the ghetto and I'll never forget her daughter telling me ( and she was 16 years old ) that she couldn't wait to quit highschool so she could be on section 8 and have food stamps.

So many younger kids in the country now think they don't have to work or work hard that they can just go out in the streets and hustle people. Rappers glorify guns, drugs, and the projects and kids are wanting to live that lifestyle in the meantime, these same rappers are living in mansions and driving bentleys and stuff.

It's sad but in todays world no one can blame anyone but themselves.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 PM

8 posts, read 43,406 times
I grew up in and around Atlanta and have been in Memphis for the past 10 years. As far as I can tell, Midtown and Cooper Young are a lot like Little Five Points, only CY and Midtown are safer in my opinion. There is no MARTA here, and MATA isn't even close, so public transportation does become something that seems to be limited to the poor. Frayser, Dixie homes and parts of Memphis with "states names for streets" are like Techwood. Don't live there.

The burbs here are just closer than the burbs in Atlanta because Memphis is smaller. Places like Collierville and Germantown are close to East Cobb and Alpharetta in terms of income (and in terms of attitudes/values/etc) Places like Bartlett are closer to old Marietta or Smyrna of 15 years ago. They tend to be more firmly middle class. The huge difference is that you can live in the burbs and still get to anywhere in Memphis is less than 30 minutes. memphis is not the HUGE city that Atlanta has become.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 24,884 times
Quote:
I see so many comments that give the perception that a visitor to Memphis is in mortal danger once they enter the city limits because crime is so bad here. I'd like to try to dispel that myth. You aren't risking your life, or that of your family members, when you come to Memphis.

Yes, Memphis has a high crime rate - but that statistic can be very misleading. The rate of violent crime (murder, in particular) is the one that strikes fear in everyone's heart - but you have to look at when and where the overwhelming majority of those crimes occur, and who the perps and victims are. The truth is that those crimes are overwhelmingly black-on-black crimes that occur in the poorest neighborhoods...the 'hood, if you will. In most of those cases, the perp and the victim were acquaintances and, seemingly more often, relatives. Alcohol and/or drugs are often involved. That same thing is also true of murders that are not black-on-black or occur in other areas of the city. They result from domestic violence, bar fights, drug deals gone bad, etc.

So, if you stay out of the bad areas of town (and what city doesn't have them?), don't do anything really stupid (like stop at a convenience store in a marginal area at 2:00 AM), and don't get into an argument with a drunk redneck at a seedy bar, you'll be just fine. If you look at the crime rate in the "better" areas of the city I seriously doubt there is any more crime than in any other major city - maybe even less.

I'm not saying Memphis doesn't have it's share of problems. Corrupt politicians, governmental incompetence and waste, high property taxes, etc.; but the city and the surrounding area still have a lot to offer - and can be a nice place to visit or to live.

Now, before anyone labels me a racist for my comments about black-on-black crime, I can assure you that's not the case. I'm just stating the plain facts. It's not a racial issue, it's a poverty issue. It just so happens that, in Memphis, African-Americans are in the majority - and, in the poorest areas, they are the vast majority. That's just part of the history and the reality of the area. If this were another city, that demographic might be Hispanic, Asian...or Caucasian. I was raised poor, but not in poverty, so I don't understand why there is so much anger and such a lack of respect for human life among so many of those people that it leads to such violent behavior.

The really sad thing is that, even in those sections of town, the majority of the people there are wonderful, hard working, church going people. I deal with them every day. Since they can't afford to live elsewhere (or choose not to), the live in fear that tonight the stray bullet might come their way.

I have a new grandson and, like every other grandparent, I'd do absolutely anything to protect him and see that he has a long, happy and successful life. The 'hood is full of grandparents exactly like me - but it must be heartbreaking for them to worry about the future of their own grandkids.

When you visit Memphis, just do the same things you do to be safe in any other city. You'll be just fine
I live in the Tenderloin District in San Francisco and have had no problems here but it is a good idea to watch your pockets because we do have many who would like to pick yours.

When I prepared to move here from Kalamazoo,MI back in 2004 people were saying " Dont go to the tenderloin in SF because you will die there "

Let me tell you come to San Francisco and enjoy yourself !!

I will be taking a trip to Memphis for a possible job offer there and think the only thing I have to fear there is my love of BBQ !!

Sincerely
Keith

Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
"You are Not Safe anywhere in Memphis and anyone who say's you are safe is living in a dream world and just has not been out on the streets responding to the shooting, stabbing, car jackings, muggings, and all forms of hate crimes against individuals."

You're right. It's not Mayberry like it was in the 50s and 60s, and I miss those times. It'll never be like that again....it's not really like that in any city of any size any longer. Memphis may be worse that most, but every major city has it's problems. To say you're not safe "anywhere" is simply not true. There are plenty of good areas, bad areas, and everything in between.

I've lived here almost 60 years, and I've never known a single person who was shot, stabbed or carjacked. Two purse snatchings and a mugging (in 1972) are the only personal assaults anyone I'm acquainted with has endured in that entire time. Maybe we live in different areas and travel in different circles. Sounds like you're either in law enforcement or maybe a paramedic or something if you have to respond to those situations. I believe that gives one a distorted view of what the entire city is like.

I'm not saying it's not bad....just not as bad as the picture you paint...
I have witnesses one assault, one carjacking and in the one year I have been here. I live in Midtown and Ihave to travel threw bad parts of town every day. If yoy have NEVER seen anything more then what you described, then you must live in the "really nice " part of town and never leave your nest.
Stats doesn't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis