Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2023, 09:41 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,645 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peop...es/vi-AA1bd8DW

Looks like a referendum on gun control for us in Memphis? Or will it just pass with a council vote?

And so. Two questions. One, will it matter what those who live here think? And two, if it does, then what does everyone really want done with this?

A lot of us who live here will be impacted depending on how deep a dive into this issue the locals with influence plan to take it. No more sales of certain guns? Handguns included? Semi-auto hunting shotguns included? Not just sales but actual continued possession included? Who knows.

For instance, some older person who perhaps owns farmland and has a number of hunting weapons and a completely spotless police record may well feel this is a strong hint for them to move to the county and leave the city behind.

Or, is it going to be applied to all Shelby County.

And others can be affected, who would be afraid to stay in Memphis without the right to own a gun. I remember a guy who had done time saying, the only reason not more break-ins at home is, that's how you get shot. Others are affected. Especially if for instance you're a recent crime victim. Like a neighbor in East Memphis who just had her car stolen from her driveway while she slept. Obvious bigger problem with that is, IF they can do things that brazen, then they can do other worse things.

It's clearly going to be an issue that bears a direct relationship to living in or relocating to Memphis...so that appears to make it a relevant question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 11:44 AM

20,336 posts, read 19,925,039 times
They lost me at "automatic" weapons and "assault weapons".

I know it's becoming more and more common to redefine things to suit an agenda but I not a fan of that.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:25 PM

565 posts, read 471,923 times
Does Tennessee not have a state preemption statute?

Old 05-17-2023, 08:42 AM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Does Tennessee not have a state preemption statute?
Not yet.

Gov Lee has called for a special session to deal with gun issues. There seems to be time to put together a proposal.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:19 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
They lost me at "automatic" weapons and "assault weapons".

I know it's becoming more and more common to redefine things to suit an agenda but I not a fan of that.

I would need to know how they define "automatic weapons" and "assault weapons" but they usually zero in the AR-15 as an example. How many homicides in Memphis are the result of guns like the AR-15 or other similar guns? I would guess it would be .01 percent of all homicides, possibly less. So, this would be pretty much pointless and have almost zero impact on gun-related violent crime. It would be like having a dam with numerous serious water leaks and then putting a piece of bubble gum on a leak the size of a needle and saying "we've fixed it!".

I don't know if our leadership is truly this stupid to where they think a large percentage of gun-related crimes are being committed with AR-15s or similar guns or if they realize it's something like .01 percent but just do this stuff for optics and to score points with their political base.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:37 AM

The way this usually works is, it starts with bans on the AR-15 types, then moves on to bans on handguns and then to all semi-automatics, then finally like what's been proposed in Colorado. All guns taboo.

Of course it's complicated a little by State of Tennessee considerations in Memphis' case.

But it's always a trade off. X number of psycho shooters vs. a much, much larger number of lives saved because of maintaining the right to self-defense.

This being Memphis, I hate to think what would happen if criminals suddenly learned that nobody in Memphis any longer had a gun of any kind. No doubt they'd be coming to visit us during the night.

And why do so many want a gun? Easy. They read the news. And are scared and frightened.

Personally I put the blame NOT on lack of cops wanting to protect us. The police are on our side. But the problem is the political leadership.

And jurors have to bear some amount of blame also.

When you get down to it, essential truth is, criminals will do whatever it is they are allowed to do. Basic human nature at work there.

Anyway, that new president in El Salvador certainly seems to have found the answer to crime...but can that ever be done in the U.S.? Not very likely...

Old 05-18-2023, 11:42 AM

708 posts, read 290,662 times
Unenforceable and a waste of time. State law pre-empts local laws. Per TN state: "No county, city, town, municipality, or metropolitan government nor any local agency, department, or official shall occupy any part of the field regulation of firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or ammunition, or combinations thereof."

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...arking%20areas.

And of course, once again, this targets legal and lawful gun owners. Memphis has a problem with gun crime used by criminals, not lawful gun owners. Although so many guns get stolen from cars I wish some of these lawful gun owners would learn to secure there weapons. Don't keep it a parked car!

I also have to note that Memphis police are generally useless. Poorly trained, poorly educated, poorly paid, and only one slight step above the Memphis street gang criminal element were most of them grew up. Thank the Memphis school system for that.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:57 AM

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/te...09/id/1119199/

It appears Gov. Lee in response to the Nashville shootings has drastically shifted his position on guns with this planned state legislative session. Set for August I believe it said. And they will no doubt pass a package of gun bans of some sort.

More than likely if the state adopts the whole range of restrictions already in place in more Liberal states, then that will impact what the Memphis city council does with this issue. It will embolden or encourage them to take this out to an even stronger position.

I hope somebody points out that those "red flag" laws almost never are used. Problem is, what family members are really willing to turn in their own family members, who they may be wrong is a danger and thereby forever fracture any family relationships and ruin somebody's life and reputation.

Anyway, when these laws pass in other states the proponents always say the same thing. They say this time is just a small first step.

And so. I guess we know where this winds up. I think it means a "for sale" sign in the yard.

Oh, Gov Lee also promised to release a transcript of the Nashville shooter's "manifesto" but hasn't so far...

Old 06-10-2023, 03:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
I also have to note that Memphis police are generally useless. Poorly trained, poorly educated, poorly paid, and only one slight step above the Memphis street gang criminal element were most of them grew up. Thank the Memphis school system for that.
That's an ignorant statement.

There are a lot of great people at MPD who care a lot and keep grinding away at the crime problem, even though the courts let criminals right back out. They arrest the same people 4 times per month, and they'll keep doing it as many times as they need to. It's really a thankless and frustrating job, and the news vilifies the entire department for the actions of a few.

Every time MPD tries something new, whether it's a curfew, community center detention area, Blue CRUSH, etc they're deemed racist or picking on some group. A percentage of Memphis residents have been raised to have a victim mentality to get benefits, and they were taught not trust the police. It's not from personal experience. The majority of citizens appreciate when they see an MPD car on their street, but it's the news, activists, victim mentality, and politicians dragging them through the mud for clicks and personal game.

MPD is dozens of officers short every shift, but they show up and keep grinding. Be thankful for the ones who stay. And no, I never worked for MPD, but I do know a few at every level. Many officers make $100k/yr working overtime.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:16 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Most Memphis-based decisions on guns will be futile because it will contradict state law and be met with lawsuits. There are a few ordinance options that could potentially stick.

Memphis is in a tough spot being in TN because 90+% of the state isn't anything like Memphis. The TN legislature doesn't give a rip if more access to guns hurts Memphis. The "guns in cars" bill was devastating to Memphis because more citizens put guns in cars without a permit and criminals are breaking into cars more to get guns. Plus, they aren't arrested for having guns in their own cars without a permit on traffic stops anymore. Bill Lee and farm politicians are making Memphis much worse and doing anything they can to collect NRA campaign dollars. There was nothing wrong with the handgun permit system we had years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: