Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 08:09 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For those that assert the major networks (ABC, NBC and CBS) "spin" their news, what are your primary sources for news? I would guess Fox and OAN but hate to make sweeping assumptions as those who discredit the big three networks similarly. Also how exactly is reporting on varying news pieces in 30 second blips or reporting from the scene spinning any message?

I watch ABC News and Fox News. They both spin, but in opposite directions -- Orange Man Good vs. Orange Man Bad.

I would guess NBC and CBS spin the same direction as ABC.

OAN probably spins the same way as Fox, but harder (where can you even watch OAN?)
MSNBC and CNN spin harder in the same direction as the networks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 01:44 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I've noticed about ABC, they give snippets of stories to be covered, for 3-4 minutes before they get into any news story. Then around the 15 minute mark they'll do one story then break for commercial, come back do another then break again. To me annoying. Now my local news runs more national and regional news than local.
Agree. The first pass is sort of a melodramatic "preview" by the anchor du jour obviously a hope to hook viewers, The second pass by the anchor gives a nearly identical synopsis of the same exact things. It isn't until the third pass that an onsite reporter actually delivers a more complete report. By the time details are provided we've listened to the same content about the same few headlines 2-3 times over. Why not cover them in detail once, then use that freed up screen time to cover more of a variety of additional stories?

I know it's sort of a classic long-standing tenet of communication to tell an audience what you're going to say, then say it, then tell them what you said but this is ridiculous! Besides, that news broadcast didn't even follow the rule.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:53 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
This is their list pre-production

Anti Trump news CHECK

Show Biden in a positive light CHECK

Find a LGBQT+ interest story CHECK

Mock or find a bad story on a Christian or the entire faith CHECK

Old 04-05-2024, 12:36 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
OP...I became frustrated like you many years ago at the poor quality of network news. How did I know it was poor quaity? Because I had now cable tv news, + the info I found scouring the internet, to compare it to.

Cable News and Internet provided more in-depth info, a much wider spectrum of opinion. I liked having the option of being able to pick & choose which news outlet I liked most, & which stories to delve into further, if I had interest...as opposed to just 4 network choices, & newspapers showing me only what they wanted to show me.

Network news became like Cliffs Notes to me...highly condensed versions of what was really going on, from a narrow viewpoint.

I have not watched a network news broadcast in so long, I can't recall how long its been. I couldn't name 1 network news person.

~10 years ago, I stopped watching cable news on tv too. Now, I just use the internet to keep up w/ things.

I look at maybe a dozen sites to start with, then seek out more in depth info using web search engines (Duck Duck Go's my #1).

I prefer foreign news sources over domestic. I like Al Jezeera, BBC, & Reuters. I use consolidators like AP too. I ditched Drudge ~3 yrs ago. I expose myself to CNN & MSNBC in small doses, just to see how they are reporting certain issues, or events.

I'll read a Wall Street Journal, if I'm picking up books at the library. Maybe scan a local newspaper for 10 minutes.

When I see articles about survey/polls, I quickly find out who did the survey/poll, then go directly to that site to read it from the Horse's mouth, w/o the spin. I also read the methodology.

How to quickly sift out the b.s. from the real news is the #1 challenge now. I don't read opinion pieces, unless I respect the person offering the opinion.

The faster you dump network news, the happier you will be, & the more informed you'll be...but it takes more time & work. Keeps your brain sharper than just watching the talking heads too.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:59 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I've noticed about ABC, they give snippets of stories to be covered, for 3-4 minutes before they get into any news story. Then around the 15 minute mark they'll do one story then break for commercial, come back do another then break again. To me annoying.
I can't watch ABC News for that reason. Their newswriting style also annoys me - no one speaks in complete sentences. Listen closely and you'll hear what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Network news became like Cliffs Notes to me
That always has been the network news' MO - brief synposes of the day's headlines.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times
I read that ABC News (with David Muir) is the most-watched TV program in the country, in any genre. Wow.

One thing that bugs me is when they show video on the wall thing and you can see the lines that divide up their video screen.

I don't find Lester Holt (NBC) that interesting.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Do you think there's much difference between the ABC, CBS and NBC national news? I don't.

Don't you hate it when some big news story is going on and they start the show with some stupid storm 1,500 miles away?? They did this just now. Or do most people want to see stories about storms so far away? I live in California, why do they start the show with some storm in West Virginia?

abc, cbs and nbc have not had a 'news' show, nighttime or any other time, in nigh onto 2 decades. If you have not made the switch, you have that many years to catch up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media