Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:00 AM

18,053 posts, read 15,649,855 times

Advertisements

I cut off cable TV in 2010 and had an antenna installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:31 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That is interesting, but I don't understand it. As TVs are just plugged in and DVD/VHS players are just plugged in to the wall and then plugged into the TV, why (as you asked) would Verizon have anything to do with it?

I haven't lived in an apartment since 2012, however, so that might explain my ignorance about that!

I would love to have an answer to this. It seems that if this is true, Verizon is impinging on people's freedom.
I think they are lying to her because they want people to use their DVR to record shows. They also said their company allows people to watch a movie on their computer and have it show on the TV but she would have to buy that ability/service. I have asked around for people who could hook up the DVR and can't find anyone who knows how to. We have both been told hd TV's no longer have the plug in hook up for the old VCR's. I don't understand how that is when my own Mother had Verizon cable TV back in the early 2000's and she had a VCR with the VHS tapes and two other devices hooked up to her HD TV. I hate this mostly because I have an old VHS recording of my parents wedding anniversary on one and can't play it

Old Today, 12:32 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I cut off cable TV in 2010 and had an antenna installed.
damn I wish I could do that. The dish I hear is great people get so much more and hardly pay anything.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,401,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I have a friend who has a VCR and can't hook it up according to her because Verizon will not allow it. I don't know why they have anything to do with it except they want people to pay monthly to add their DVR service instead of using the old VHS tapes. I have two of the VHS players but not hooked up and not enough tapes to watch on it. I have a disc player I think that is what you call a DVD player. Looks like I'm stuck with the cable company until I figure out how to get my streaming on my computer to show on my TV. Then try to find those old TV shows without having to pay per view each episode. I think this is why cable companies are doing this. They want that money and eventually those buy each episode will go up in price.

If I had known this was going to happen I would have saved all my old VHS tapes
I'll bet it has nothing to do with Verizon "not allowing" the use of a VCR, and more to do with either they don't know how or physically can't hook it up it in a way that the customer wants.

As far as I know, all new TV's do still have the ability to have an old VCR hooked up to them, and should still be able to tune to the old channel 2 or 3 to make them work. This part should be easy.

There is no easy way to use the VCR to record anything onto it anymore though. This is because they don't work with today's digital signals.

If one wanted to badly enough, I'm sure they could get a digital to analog converter box in order to accomplish this, but there really wouldn't be much of a point.

Old Today, 08:18 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,423,253 times
New Tv's dont have RCA jacks

Old Today, 08:26 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,970,381 times
I cut the cable and now starting to cut streaming with increased rates and commercials. Disney and prime went bye bye Netflix next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media