Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:38 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistx View Post
This thread is way off track.
Stay in Jersey, things are more on track there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
This thread is way off track.
Even though people have been offering what they considered to be helpful, you are not happy. Are you complaining because people have been throwing in personal stories? If so, then you are not going to be happy in Hawaii. People love to talk story, even while conducting business. Get used to the cashier and the guy in front of you at the store chatting about family even though you may be in a hurry to pay and leave. It's all part of living in Hawaii!

Old 12-21-2015, 03:04 PM

569 posts, read 779,920 times
another reason buying the car in HI might make more sense; you won't have to register it in NJ and then again when it arrives in HI. Not sure about Oahu, but Maui's rules are kinda onerous, with having to have an inspection performed (and paid for) each year...on top of the registration fees.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:11 PM

30 posts, read 71,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
another reason buying the car in HI might make more sense; you won't have to register it in NJ and then again when it arrives in HI. Not sure about Oahu, but Maui's rules are kinda onerous, with having to have an inspection performed (and paid for) each year...on top of the registration fees.
Thank you Maui part timer. That's really helpful. I just got a quote today of over 2k to ship. And adding in the info you provided adds a lot of clarity. Thank you so much!

Old 12-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Even though people have been offering what they considered to be helpful, you are not happy. Are you complaining because people have been throwing in personal stories? If so, then you are not going to be happy in Hawaii. People love to talk story, even while conducting business. Get used to the cashier and the guy in front of you at the store chatting about family even though you may be in a hurry to pay and leave. It's all part of living in Hawaii!
Ha! Not complaining at all. Just trying to move around the world in an informed way.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:18 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
I see a few Subarus on island, but not nearly as many as you will see in Alaska and other places where it snows, probably because there's no need for all wheel drive in Hawaii.

I've always thought that a Mazda Miata would be the perfect retirement car for Maui.

Subarus are good cars though, and reasonably priced. Another vote for buying in Hawaii (used).

Old 12-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Stay in Jersey, things are more on track there.
Happily you can leave watching this post and be rude somewhere else.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I see a few Subarus on island, but not nearly as many as you will see in Alaska and other places where it snows, probably because there's no need for all wheel drive in Hawaii.

I've always thought that a Mazda Miata would be the perfect retirement car for Maui.

Subarus are good cars though, and reasonably priced. Another vote for buying in Hawaii (used).
Great thinking BC. I love the reliability and resale value of the Subarus but I hadn't thought of not needing the 4wd. I'll be opening my mind to other options now. Thank you very much!

Old 12-21-2015, 03:32 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
Happily you can leave watching this post and be rude somewhere else.
Just some friendly advice from someone who's lived on Maui since 1975.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:10 PM

10 posts, read 46,051 times
BC & Artistx
I see a ton of Subaru's on the Maui. They can hardly keep them in stock. And, depends where you plan to live. Live in Kahului, no problem. Hana, Kahakuloa, When it is pounding rain and you have to go somewhere, on steep inclines/declines with rain, Polipoli................ a little all wheel drive is a great vehicle to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui