Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 08:26 AM

12,816 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thanks. I know Wareham isn't on the Cape but it's still not that far away from the western end of the Cape.

So far, the Wareham one looks like the best option.

One option I'll discuss with my husband would be to fly into Logan, stay in Boston and rent a car on the day of the gathering.

Some years back, cousin's sister who lives in Western MA had a gathering. For that one, we stayed in Boston and rented a car for the day.
I've stayed at the Eastham Four Points. It was fine, but dated (and this was several years ago). I'm a little sour on the Four Points brand in general - I feel like it is an afterthought in the portfolio since Marriott and Starwood merged. But if the gathering is by the bridges, then Eastham is really a nonstarter. It's too far.

If you're intent on sticking to Marriott hotels, you're probably right about Wareham being the best bet. It's a short distance from the bridges and has easy highway access. I generally would prefer to avoid having to cross the bridges to get between the gathering and the hotel, but you can probably make it work as long as you're willing to deal with some traffic.

I wouldn't want to do Boston-Cape-Boston on the same day. I've done it plenty, and it's not fun. If I'm forking over the money for a car and hotel anyway, I definitely wouldn't base myself in Boston for a Cape Cod event. In fact, I'd rather fly into Providence and drive from there than Boston. It's a little closer and less prone to traffic. The hotels will probably be a little less expensive too. Staying close to the cape would be the preferred option though.

I'm not sure where you're coming from (DC?), but Hyannis Airport has flights from DC and NY (DCA, JFK, and LGA). If the timing and budget works for you, it would save you a Boston (or Providence) round trip in the car. And then the Hyannis hotel might make sense.

Also, I was under the impression that the hotels hosting migrants were not available for public booking. This was a big part of the issue back when the Army/Navy game was taking place last month and several hotels around Boston are completely closed to the public. I could be wrong, and hopefully someone will correct me if I am. But assuming that's the case, then you shouldn't have to worry too much about your hotel being used for migrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 09:02 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Also, I was under the impression that the hotels hosting migrants were not available for public booking. This was a big part of the issue back when the Army/Navy game was taking place last month and several hotels around Boston are completely closed to the public. I could be wrong, and hopefully someone will correct me if I am. But assuming that's the case, then you shouldn't have to worry too much about your hotel being used for migrants.
If a hotel property is being used for migrants, then the general public will not be able to book a room. It may say "Closed" or the property won't appear at all on the company's website.

The problem arises with hotels that are currently taking reservations, then later decide not to honor them because the state has offered more money for the rooms if they can house migrants there. This is what happened to the people who had tickets to the Army/Navy game. They may have booked those rooms last spring only to be told months later they were out of luck.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:37 AM

12,816 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
If a hotel property is being used for migrants, then the general public will not be able to book a room. It may say "Closed" or the property won't appear at all on the company's website.

The problem arises with hotels that are currently taking reservations, then later decide not to honor them because the state has offered more money for the rooms if they can house migrants there. This is what happened to the people who had tickets to the Army/Navy game. They may have booked those rooms last spring only to be told months later they were out of luck.
Ok, thanks. That's what I thought. I can understand issue with worrying about making reservations and having them canceled. I think that's a good reason to book directly through a brand like Marriott. Generally, they'll be much better about accommodating you (even at a different property) if the hotel was committed to housing migrants than if you tried to book at "Jim's Motel" where they'd shrug and say "sorry!" This is especially true if OP is Bonvoy Elite.

I would hope that after the debacle with the Army/Navy game, efforts will be put into avoiding the same mistakes. There was a ton of blowback over that, and it was just a couple of hotels for one weekend. I imagine the administration probably doesn't want to deal with what would be exponentially greater blowback from thousands of people whose vacation plans were canceled because their hotels were recommitted to migrants. Not to mention, the cost for the state to rent a Courtyard by Marriott in Hyannis over the summer will be greater than the cost to rent a Courtyard by Marriott in Norwood or Westborough for the same period. I wouldn't completely put it past them to overlook these factors, but I think that they'd prefer to avoid the same type of bad PR all over again. I highly doubt that the Cape Cod COC or local legislators would take too kindly to thousands of paying guests needed to support businesses that are highly seasonal being replaced by migrants for the summer.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:12 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
No they do. My kid has been talking to them

They are 6 year old kids. All they want to do is play and color and have fun. As far as my kid is concerned, it's just another "friend" to talk to and play with. They don't need to be concerned with the politics behind all this.
Good to know!

Old 01-08-2024, 01:15 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The law was intended for Massachusetts families facing homelessness, not migrants who just showed up at the door. The law is being severely misapplied by the current (mal)administration.
If I'm not mistaken, "families" is the key word, at least when it began? I think single males (maybe even single females?) were perhaps excluded or placed at least priority. Perhaps pregnant single women would also get priority back then.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:23 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Thank you, Irfox and Casey!

Interesting, Irfox, that you should mention Providence! My husband brought it up and before he did that, I had wondered about it. With your input added, we're going to look into Providence as a possibility.

Yeah, we know driving to and from the Cape in the summer is no fun at all. Growing up, my parents refused to even visit the Cape due to the traffic.

Casey, it does concern us that if we make a reservation at a hotel, will the state come along and commandeer the whole place. I wonder if my cousin thought about these issues...hmmm... She's a life long MA resident so I'm sure she's seen what's been happening with the hotel situation as of late.

One question --- Have hotels in RI been taken over for "migrants" like in MA?

Old 01-08-2024, 05:01 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

One question --- Have hotels in RI been taken over for "migrants" like in MA?
No, they don't have the same "Right To Shelter" law.

Would it be possible for you to make reservations at 2 different hotels just so you have a back-up? You could cancel one of them a week out.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:18 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The law was intended for Massachusetts families facing homelessness, not migrants who just showed up at the door. The law is being severely misapplied by the current (mal)administration.
not sure the intent of the law, that's subjective, The law says people in Mass have a right to shelter, that's not subjective. Wu will tell you they do, Markey will tell you they do, Warren will tell you they do, who's left to ask?

Old 01-08-2024, 05:24 PM

352 posts, read 160,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
The hotels used for migrants are usually the lower-standard grade or basic business travel type hotels (Clarion, etc). The more upscale touristy, boutique hotels should be fine. How long will migrants be staying? lol If you were getting everything handed to you for free, how how long would you be staying?!
Not sure if that's true. During my recent trip to Cali my $500/night hotel was full of migrants. I found it pretty silly that one person has to pay $500 for it and another one enjoys it absolutely for free coming down for breakfast in his pajamas. Chances are cape is the same.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:48 PM

16,293 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
not sure the intent of the law, that's subjective, The law says people in Mass have a right to shelter, that's not subjective. Wu will tell you they do, Markey will tell you they do, Warren will tell you they do, who's left to ask?
so basically any homeless person can schlep their a s s to MA and be given a place to stay. What a right, what a stupid law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts