Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 04:53 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Since WFH is such a popular topic, starting this thread where you can share your support, frustrations, or disagreements with WFH. Also, if you have other WFH stories like most embarrassing teams call, etc. please share it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 05:02 PM

In the few years that teams has been in prominent use, I had a first last week. I was on an internal teams call (company employees only, no outsiders or clients) with about 50 employees, cameras were optional. One person who had their camera on decided to light up and they were well aware they were on camera, as the person was actually a presenter at one point. I did not have my camera on and I also muted thank goodness because I could not stop laughing! I was a bit taken back by seeing someone light up and the puffs of smoke showing on screen gave me a chuckle....this person had no shame at all! Just not something you expect in a professional, company setting! lol

Old 09-17-2023, 05:28 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
In the few years that teams has been in prominent use, I had a first last week. I was on an internal teams call (company employees only, no outsiders or clients) with about 50 employees, cameras were optional. One person who had their camera on decided to light up and they were well aware they were on camera, as the person was actually a presenter at one point. I did not have my camera on and I also muted thank goodness because I could not stop laughing! I was a bit taken back by seeing someone light up and the puffs of smoke showing on screen gave me a chuckle....this person had no shame at all! Just not something you expect in a professional, company setting! lol
If the person was smoking dope on cam during a company meeting, that was arrogance. And same thing if you're knocking back shots of tequila on cam during the meeting... not the most focused, professional look for sure. I wouldn't do that, but if I did, I think I'd be hearing some clear communication including a warning from my boss following that - something like "the next time you do that will be your last!" LOL.

Old 09-17-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If the person was smoking dope on cam during a company meeting, that was arrogance. And same thing if you're knocking back shots of tequila on cam during the meeting... not the most focused, professional look for sure. I wouldn't do that, but if I did, I think I'd be hearing some clear communication including a warning from my boss following that - something like "the next time you do that will be your last!" LOL.
Makes me wonder if the person was spoken to after the call or not. There were some managers on the call so I'd be shocked if they didn't see it. I get that they were in their own home and not actually doing the teams call from a company office and it's their right to smoke but still, not very professional to do it on a company teams call on live camera. Funny as heck though, livened up an otherwise pretty boring meeting seeing that.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:27 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
What's the difference between Teams and Zoom?

Old 09-17-2023, 10:00 PM

851 posts, read 554,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
What's the difference between Teams and Zoom?
Teams is developed by Microsoft. Zoom is a product of Zoom Video Communications.

I don't use Zoom a lot, but Teams seems to be more comprehensive as a corporation tool. For example, when I move the mouse to a colleague's icon on Teams, I can see their title, contact info, position in the reporting system etc.
Zoom is specialized in virtual conferences especially when there is a huge number of participants. It does not require an account (Teams requires it).

Old 09-18-2023, 08:02 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I really haven't had any embarressing issues happen with WFH nor have I witnessed any. I think people were pretty well versed in using zoom and MS teams already.

My frustrations are mostly the commute I'd have to deal with if I wanted to go into the office (about an hour each drive each way, maybe more at times) along with having to pay for parking (or getting my dept to pay for it). It just isn't worth it for me. I would like it if the office were closer and easier to access...but it isn't. For many people cities and office spaces are becoming harder and harder to access. There's already the traffic piece to get in and out of the city (feels like Boston has traffic 24/7 now). Then many offices have a parking garage you have to use (street parking is virtually impossible to find unless you're very lucky) Then most people have to use an ID to get into. a building, then use an ID again to check in with security to get in the elevator and then an ID is needed again to get into your office area. That's how it is for me anyways.

Why go through all that if you can just do you your job from home? The seeing someone's face doesnt do it for me.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:29 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
I don't know anyone who has to drive over 60 minutes to work say they think the commute is worth it and if I were in that situation I would probably feel the same way.

My company continues to not have a mandate although departments that are client facing are generally in more often. We will be moving to a newer smaller office so the policy will likely stay the same, although I can see a situation where everybody comes in during the middle of the week and there aren't enough desks for everyone so then different teams are then assigned different days.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:40 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Right now my commute would take 1 hr and 2 minutes according to google.

Even if it were 30 minutes I don't think it would be worth it to commute in every day...

It seems like people who want to WFH are looked at as lazy or not as motivated as the people who want to be in the office and that is part of the issue as well

Old 09-18-2023, 08:46 AM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My frustrations are mostly the commute I'd have to deal with if I wanted to go into the office (about an hour each drive each way, maybe more at times) along with having to pay for parking (or getting my dept to pay for it). It just isn't worth it for me. I would like it if the office were closer and easier to access...but it isn't. For many people cities and office spaces are becoming harder and harder to access. There's already the traffic piece to get in and out of the city (feels like Boston has traffic 24/7 now). Then many offices have a parking garage you have to use (street parking is virtually impossible to find unless you're very lucky) Then most people have to use an ID to get into. a building, then use an ID again to check in with security to get in the elevator and then an ID is needed again to get into your office area. That's how it is for me anyways.

Why go through all that if you can just do you your job from home? The seeing someone's face doesnt do it for me.
You chose to move far away. That choice came with advantages and disadvantages. You want all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts