Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 12:26 PM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Local town FB group having the same argument. Half claiming now is the time to stay home and isolate, and the other half thinking it’s no big deal for their teenage kids to go to the movies or friends house because they are bored.
This is exactly why the gov't needs to step in and issue a mandatory quarantine. Now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 12:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
the other half thinking it’s no big deal for their teenage kids to go to the movies or friends house because they are bored. This is exactly why the gov't needs to step in and issue a mandatory quarantine. Now.
As an introvert I am secretly laughing at this. I always said that extroverts would not be able to handle staying in and they are proving me right.

But I think we are about to have a mandatory quarantine at least in areas where there are a lot of cases. I only hope they seriously enforce it.

I was dismayed this morning to see a TON of people with gray hair out at the supermarket in a town that actually HAS positive cases.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,251 times
All my fiends and family with teenagers are telling the same story. They’re out shopping, partying, etc. It’s an unprecedented and unimaginably difficult situation. However it is pretty clear what most experts needs to be done to mitigate this.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:00 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,730,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I saw an article today that India had already cured some sever patients using HIV drugs.

https://www.businesstoday.in/current...ry/397941.html

But to me it seems like it might be a better situation to have everyone under 50 get it and become immune so that the world could continue as normal for most of the world.
For those without a healthcare background, there is no "cure" for a virus. Antivirals can treat them to the point where they become latent, but the infection can come back any time for the rest of your life. For example herpes simplex 1 outbreaks (cold sores) can always come back. Viruses constantly mutate so there's no way of treating them permanently.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:57 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
As an introvert I am secretly laughing at this. I always said that extroverts would not be able to handle staying in and they are proving me right.

But I think we are about to have a mandatory quarantine at least in areas where there are a lot of cases. I only hope they seriously enforce it.

I was dismayed this morning to see a TON of people with gray hair out at the supermarket in a town that actually HAS positive cases.
I tend toward the introvert side of the spectrum also...but honestly, I'm not sure I can handle 2+ weeks of isolation either. I like human interaction, as long as it's on my terms (meaning I can run off and decompress when I need to). Today, I found out that our local YMCA will also be shut down as of Monday 3/16, which often times has been my main outlet outside of work. It'll be interesting to see how people fare mentally during the upcoming weeks. Personally, I don't think the US can handle a total shutdown like France, Spain, and Italy have imposed.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:04 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This is exactly why the gov't needs to step in and issue a mandatory quarantine. Now.
I'm telling you, legit martial law will end very very badly. If you live in Boston or Cambridge I hope you stocked up on ammo and not toilet paper. And even if it's just closing all businesses that would be so completely devastating to the economy that you'd probably get riots from that.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:19 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,949 times
I was told that Encore, Plainridge and MGM Springfield are closing at 6 AM on Sunday.

I wasn't even aware that the Basketball Hall Of Fame was closed. I now read it's due to renovations and not from Covid19. They were to reopen around March 25th. That will now likely be May(be) 1st.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:23 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I'm telling you, legit martial law will end very very badly. If you live in Boston or Cambridge I hope you stocked up on ammo and not toilet paper. And even if it's just closing all businesses that would be so completely devastating to the economy that you'd probably get riots from that.

It's already happening in NY, I don't hear of any riots there. If NYers can hold themselves together for a limited time, I imagine we won't have an issue. Look at the Marathon bombing, people will pull together in a crisis (for the most part anyway).

Old 03-14-2020, 06:37 PM

399 posts, read 270,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
For those without a healthcare background, there is no "cure" for a virus. Antivirals can treat them to the point where they become latent, but the infection can come back any time for the rest of your life. For example herpes simplex 1 outbreaks (cold sores) can always come back. Viruses constantly mutate so there's no way of treating them permanently.
OMG. Wow.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's already happening in NY, I don't hear of any riots there. If NYers can hold themselves together for a limited time, I imagine we won't have an issue. Look at the Marathon bombing, people will pull together in a crisis (for the most part anyway).
Give it some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts