Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 04:46 AM

1,888 posts, read 2,909,738 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure the food that people (including tourists) care the most about in Maine is SEAFOOD. Some care so much, they are willing to pay $40 or more for a lobster roll. People in Maine also care about pizza places and ice cream places. Before someone feels the need to say it, I'm aware that there are people including native Mainers who don't eat seafood and I've known a few who don't eat pizza or ice cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 05:08 AM

30,384 posts, read 23,850,717 times
There is a place in Bangor that wasn't too bad. Jade something...I don't remember the name.

But...I was feeling like celebrating when I moved into my new digs, and I ordered Chinese food from a local restaurant that was rated high stars.

Blech.

I threw most of it away it was so tasteless.

At least it's not like Chinese in Miami where they include black beans and white rice...

Having lived on the west coast, in my experience, yes, the west coast does Chinese food right.

So 50/50 on the 2 times I've had Chinese food in Maine.

Old 05-15-2024, 05:40 AM

Three Wolves, might be Oriental Jade. I've never been there. There used to be a restaurant in Bangor Sings Cantonese and Polynesian. It served things that so called Chinese restaurants serve such as pu pu platters and fried rice. It was pretty good. There is a place in Bangor, Green Tea. It is better than some. There's a place in Freeport on a side street, better than some. I typically stay away from restaurants with less than a 4 -star rating and I should change that to 4.5. I'm pretty sure that finding a 4.5 or higher rating in the Chinese restaurant category would be a challenge--in Maine anyway.

Old 05-15-2024, 05:59 AM

3,470 posts, read 7,263,840 times
The food isn't what you expected, I can understand that. For me, an apple pie with no upper crust isn't an apple pie. It's just different, if it tastes alright, I just eat it.

Old 05-15-2024, 06:00 PM

6,635 posts, read 13,583,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
  1. Duh. I know Maine isn't New York, smartypants, and I never said it was. However, NYC has great Chinese food (and a lot of great food of all cuisines), which is what I was used to for over 30 years. Furthermore, I did say that the Chinese food I've tried "whenever I've traveled outside of Maine" is better than what I've tried in Maine. So, I can compare it to numerous other states, beyond just New York City. Maine touts itself to tourists from other states as a foodie destination, but I have yet to find that is the case. A few very good restaurants here and there do not make it a foodie nirvana. Maine seems to lack variety most of all. And the Chinese food in Maine sucks big time.
Tourists don't come to Maine for Chinese food. If you're not able to find the fantastic food we do have here, it's not because it doesn't exist.

Old 05-16-2024, 02:28 AM

1,941 posts, read 1,035,118 times
Make friends with a Lobsterman, if I had a shellfish allergy I would be screwed.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:32 AM

7,061 posts, read 9,112,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Three Wolves, might be Oriental Jade. I've never been there. There used to be a restaurant in Bangor Sings Cantonese and Polynesian. It served things that so called Chinese restaurants serve such as pu pu platters and fried rice. It was pretty good. There is a place in Bangor, Green Tea. It is better than some. There's a place in Freeport on a side street, better than some. I typically stay away from restaurants with less than a 4 -star rating and I should change that to 4.5. I'm pretty sure that finding a 4.5 or higher rating in the Chinese restaurant category would be a challenge--in Maine anyway.

That's the one, it's 'OK'. There's a 'Chinese' buffet just down the road (Stillwater) in the plaza where ADAP used to be (across from Autozone) that is just about as 'OK' but a bit cheaper, which is where I go when the urge hits.

I have eaten my way across most of the country east of the Rockies, and many restaurants in Maine, like 'Chinese', subs (AKA) 'Italians') and pizza joints are simply nowhere near as good as what you can get elsewhere. 'Chinese' food in Boston and the North Shore is much better. I haven't found anyplace in Maine [yet] that can make a decent sub cold sub (everybody seems to build them bass-ackward?), though there are some that make a half-decent steak and cheese. Pizza is mediocre at best.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:44 AM

237 posts, read 125,982 times
I can actually attest to the chinese food in Maine being subpar at best. Surprise surprise.

However...some of the BEST sushi I have ever had was at Cho Sun in Bethel. No joke. Excellent.

Old 05-16-2024, 03:36 PM

30,384 posts, read 23,850,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Three Wolves, might be Oriental Jade...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That's the one, it's 'OK'...

...I have eaten my way across most of the country east of the Rockies, and many restaurants in Maine, like ...subs (AKA) 'Italians')...I haven't found anyplace in Maine [yet] that can make a decent sub cold sub (everybody seems to build them bass-ackward?)...
Yes, Oriental Jade. I went there when I first moved to Maine back in 2011. Submariner and his wife brought me there, and I enjoyed it. I have no idea how it is now, but I do remember being so relieved not to see flippin' black beans and rice with my Chinese food, (as I had just moved from Miami). I thought it tasted decent. I wasn't upset with the dinner.

As for subs - I don't like a bunch of nonsense added on, like so many places do. I actually like Shaw's Italian sub. The big whopping huge one that can feed me for 4 days...I think it tastes good. But, again, it's just a basic Italian sub sandwich, doesn't have some disgusting 'spicy' mustard or other weird things (I call them 'trash') on it. I want the bread, the meats, the cheese, the lettuce. At home, I add as many onions on it as I want...which is a LOT, and that's it. I don't want any of that other junk. So, I'm happy with my sub experience in Maine.

But I never thought, 'Oh man, I am really craving Chinese food. I know! I'll move to Maine to get it!'

Maine is known for lobster stuff. I 'miss' out on all of that kind of stuff because I hate seafood. No matter how many times someone has said, 'You should try this, you'll like it', or 'You haven't had it the way I make it', or 'You should try it with this (whatever condiment), and it will taste better'.

No.

I. hate. seafood. And freshwater fish, as well. If it swims, I'm not eating it.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:19 AM

I try not to say that there are NO very good to excellent Chinese restaurants in Maine because I haven't visited all of them. If I'm traveling around Maine and see a Chinese restaurant that is new to me, I might be inclined to try it.

There are seafood restaurants in Maine and some are better than others. I've come to the conclusion that some of the cooks are better than others. I have arrived at a familiar seafood restaurant and asked who is cooking today? Imo the condition of cooked haddock (salt water fish) or fried clams is an excellent test. (Partially cooked fried clams is a deal breaker.) The amount of lobster meat in a lobster roll can vary (along with the price) from one place to another.

I don't eat many subs any more, but I liked a sub shop in Westbrook (I think it was Westbrook.) I loved Ellsworth Giant Sub for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine