Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 01:09 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I visited a friend on a lake in Maine last summer and they were placing bets on if a boat would hit the rock under water. I asked if they would warn them and they said they don't want to be responsible and laughed when they hit it, I thought Mainers look out for one another. Then their 10 year old son met them and saw they were upset but kept the secret. How is caring about other people "tried too hard".
Mainers talk differently. My Dw and I have discussed this many times.

It has been our experience that if you had attempted to warn another boater about shallow rocks. They will cuss you out for butting into their business, and then when they hit the rock they will blame you for not warning them. Then threaten to sue you for allowing them to wreck their boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 01:47 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Mainers talk differently. My Dw and I have discussed this many times.

It has been our experience that if you had attempted to warn another boater about shallow rocks. They will cuss you out for butting into their business, and then when they hit the rock they will blame you for not warning them. Then threaten to sue you for allowing them to wreck their boat.
That was my experience. During this screwed up time in our country right now everyone is looking for something better. I just want people to know what to expect. I still like Maine but now I know, the grass isn't always greener.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:41 AM

605 posts, read 623,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The biggest source of prejudice I have seen against 'flat-landers' from away has been here on this forum . . . In my perspective, most Mainers have been very friendly.

I entirely agree with this. I'm baffled by the recent thread about providing housing for asylum seekers that provoked so many anti-outsider comments. Maine has a labor shortage and needs new workers. The main purpose of the City Data forums is to help people who want to move to other places and states. Surely that includes making them feel welcome in the state forums.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
After 14 years I left because of the divide not the weather. I still love Maine and visit sometimes and get reminded every time why I left.

May I know what area of Maine you lived in? What do you think creates the divide? Is it the region, the economy, or what? I'm interested because I want to move to Maine.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:49 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
I entirely agree with this. I'm baffled by the recent thread about providing housing for asylum seekers that provoked so many anti-outsider comments. Maine has a labor shortage and needs new workers. The main purpose of the City Data forums is to help people who want to move to other places and states. Surely that includes making them feel welcome in the state forums.
Maine might have a labor shortage in the summer in tourist areas and supply and demand keeps wages well above minimum wage in tourist areas. Many taxpayers do not want their tax dollars used to house non U.S. citizens when there are many U.S. citizens who are homeless. Add to that tax payer dollars paying for healthcare for non U.S. citizens. It seems that the care of non citizens is being prioritized over U.S. citizens. City-data provides information about cities, states, many topics are discussed in the general forum, and information about other countries in the world forum. There are lots of opinions and everyone is not always going to agree.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:01 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Soooooo....I'm back in Maine. Have been here since July.

While it has most definitely changed, (people are unbelievably impatient on the roads, unlike when I lived here before), overall, most people up north are very friendly, still.

Right now, I'm south of the dreaded Volvo line, and there's a chunk of 'always angry' people, (I'm assuming most of them are from Massachusetts, originally), but there are still a good amount of friendly people.

This time, it was way easier to find well paying, full time employment, but it wasn't in the area I wanted to live. Whatever, I'm back in Maine.

(By the way, when do the Mass people finally leave? Do they vacation all year round?)

Old 01-18-2024, 11:08 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Soooooo....I'm back in Maine. Have been here since July.

While it has most definitely changed, (people are unbelievably impatient on the roads, unlike when I lived here before), overall, most people up north are very friendly, still.

Right now, I'm south of the dreaded Volvo line, and there's a chunk of 'always angry' people, (I'm assuming most of them are from Massachusetts, originally), but there are still a good amount of friendly people.

This time, it was way easier to find well paying, full time employment, but it wasn't in the area I wanted to live. Whatever, I'm back in Maine.

(By the way, when do the Mass people finally leave? Do they vacation all year round?)
Welcome back! I wondered why you left. The tourists are arriving earlier and staying longer.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:11 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Wow, Maine is right up there at #1, and next door neighbor New Hampshire is also #3
Forbes said VT was #1 for inbound but their list didn't show how many people had moved here.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Maine might have a labor shortage in the summer in tourist areas and supply and demand keeps wages well above minimum wage in tourist areas. Many taxpayers do not want their tax dollars used to house non U.S. citizens when there are many U.S. citizens who are homeless. Add to that tax payer dollars paying for healthcare for non U.S. citizens. It seems that the care of non citizens is being prioritized over U.S. citizens. City-data provides information about cities, states, many topics are discussed in the general forum, and information about other countries in the world forum. There are lots of opinions and everyone is not always going to agree.
There is a labor shortage not only in Maine but in the U.S., and not just in the summer. The shortage of workers is slowing economic growth in Maine year round. Some articles that may be of interest:

From the Maine Department of Labor: https://www.islandinstitute.org/work...rker-shortage/ Quote: "Businesses across Maine—and the nation—have had trouble finding the available, qualified workers they need to operate at full capacity."

"Maine's prospects for job growth stunted by low unemployment, workforce shortage":
https://www.mainepublic.org/business...force-shortage

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-19-2024 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: please keep posts "Maine related."

Old 01-19-2024, 06:53 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
May I know what area of Maine you lived in? What do you think creates the divide? Is it the region, the economy, or what? I'm interested because I want to move to Maine.
Greater Portland. Right from the start there are people that just give you shlt for no reason just that you are from away, Realtors, Lawyers, Doctors, local store owners, coworkers. At first you blow it off as just getting tested but when it doesn't stop and rumors spread like wildfire you keep your guard up. I was warned before I moved but thought show them your worth and it will be fine. So it is nothing else other than the culture of the people. I still like the region, the winters, the architecture, the seafood, less congestion but people giving you a hard time for no reason over shadows all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine