Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 09:41 PM

410 posts, read 361,439 times

Advertisements

So I'm a single guy and no kids and moving to the macon area to be closer to family. I'm accepting a position
as a physician at one of the hospitals in macon, and need to buy a house.

I know the main requirements:

1) I want something fairly small. 1200-1900 sq ft is fine
2) I *don't* want to be in the newer north macon developments along bass road like Providence
where it seems everyone is moving now
3) Don't care about things like proximity to restaurants, bars, etc
4) Safety is a huge priority. Frankly a lot of the supposed nicer older homes on like vineville and such don't seem safe.
5) Don't care about schools because I don't have kids
6) What I'd really like is a nice established residential area with small to medium sized houses with character. Older ranch homes are fine. Old bungalows are fine. The area where I live now(in another state) is ideal because it's an established old neighborhood with professionals and lots of character and high enough
prices to keep the riff-raff out(a lot/tear down would start at 450k or so) and it's just quiet and charming and safe. Almost like an upscale mayberry...if that makes sense.

I don't suppose there is anything like that in Macon is there? Just from going online I'm.....not optimistic. I have no interest in buying a property in a development like providence that is absolutely devoid of any character or charm, but what other options does one have here if safety is a priority?

Someone mentioned an area called ingleside....is that really safe? I did the street views of the residential part of that area and frankly it looked a little run down? Is there a better part with some of those same characteristics listed above?

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 05:00 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
So I'm a single guy and no kids and moving to the macon area to be closer to family. I'm accepting a position
as a physician at one of the hospitals in macon, and need to buy a house.

I know the main requirements:

1) I want something fairly small. 1200-1900 sq ft is fine
2) I *don't* want to be in the newer north macon developments along bass road like Providence
where it seems everyone is moving now
3) Don't care about things like proximity to restaurants, bars, etc
4) Safety is a huge priority. Frankly a lot of the supposed nicer older homes on like vineville and such don't seem safe.
5) Don't care about schools because I don't have kids
6) What I'd really like is a nice established residential area with small to medium sized houses with character. Older ranch homes are fine. Old bungalows are fine. The area where I live now(in another state) is ideal because it's an established old neighborhood with professionals and lots of character and high enough
prices to keep the riff-raff out(a lot/tear down would start at 450k or so) and it's just quiet and charming and safe. Almost like an upscale mayberry...if that makes sense.

I don't suppose there is anything like that in Macon is there? Just from going online I'm.....not optimistic. I have no interest in buying a property in a development like providence that is absolutely devoid of any character or charm, but what other options does one have here if safety is a priority?

Someone mentioned an area called ingleside....is that really safe? I did the street views of the residential part of that area and frankly it looked a little run down? Is there a better part with some of those same characteristics listed above?

thanks in advance!
This is doable in Macon but the under 1900sf part will likely be a home in a neighborhood with 1400-3000 sf homes. Don't be put off if you see huge homes in some of the following areas, as the smaller ones in these areas typically get snatched as soon as they are listed, but they are intermingled. Most of the intown areas called Intown Macon fit the bill. College St, Magnolia St, areas directly adjacent to Atrium Navicent Hospital such as Orange Terrace and nearby areas. True Ingleside (Ridge Ave, Riverdale, Buford Pl, Vista Cir) will fit the bill too, you just have to be careful as the neighborhood name is used liberally by nearby areas that aren't safe. Shirley Hills (Jackson Springs, Waverland, Twin Pines) directly across the river fits too, safe with lots of professionals. Macon is like most southern cities where it changes from nice to not nice within a few blocks. You really have to visit. I will say that Macon doesn't really put lipstick on a pig. You can drive down a street and tell pretty easily based on landscaping, if there are cars parked on the grass, are the homes in need of maintenance, etc? This city is for the most part a, " You get what you pay for" sort of place.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 01-24-2023 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-29-2023, 09:13 PM

thanks for the info. Could you list some more of the streets around this Orange Terrace(or is that a street itself) so I could pull up residential examples?

Old 01-29-2023, 09:18 PM

On a related point I looked up many of the homes(in different parts) of college and magnolia street and that's definately a little too rough around the edges for what I am looking for. I'm also seeing that many of the homes on those streets in good shape are lised or being sold at under 100 dollars per sq ft, which is a red flag imo right there.

At least at vista circle(one of the streets I mentioned), the houses are going for 150 or so per sq ft. At least the ones with some curb appeal.

Frankly seeing a 2100 sq ft house listed for 170k scares the **** out of me in terms of a potential living place lol....

Old 01-30-2023, 04:43 AM

Quote:
On a related point I looked up many of the homes(in different parts) of college and magnolia street and that's definately a little too rough around the edges for what I am looking for. I'm also seeing that many of the homes on those streets in good shape are lised or being sold at under 100 dollars per sq ft, which is a red flag imo right there.

At least at vista circle(one of the streets I mentioned), the houses are going for 150 or so per sq ft. At least the ones with some curb appeal.

Frankly seeing a 2100 sq ft house listed for 170k scares the **** out of me in terms of a potential living place lol....
Ok. As Magnolia St and College St are probably the nicest Intown Macon neighborhood streets and they are not what you are looking for, neither would Orange Terrace be. Sticking around Vista Circle area of Ingleside may be your best bet.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:48 AM

You may want to look around Idle Hour as well. An area surrounding Idle Hour Country Club. Most of the homes there are larger and more expensive than what you're probably looking for. Many doctors and other similar professionals in the area. There are sometimes smaller homes that come up on this street just off Idle Hour Dr. like this one: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M62815-59229

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 01-30-2023 at 05:04 AM..

Old 01-30-2023, 06:29 AM

The house in my previous post is overpriced for the street in my opinion, but that street is around the corner from million dollar homes on Idle Hour. If you can stand having a larger home, that will open things up a bit. The problem you are running into in Macon is that the low price per square foot compared to the rest of the country has led to most areas with smaller homes becoming accessible to investors and therefore renters.

It will be tough to find a smaller home that doesn't have a least a few less polished homes or streets nearby.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:27 PM

ugh....it's going to be even harder than I thought to find a decent safe place.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:30 PM

After researching it and thinking about it more, I don't think this speaks well of where macon is headed. I mean think about it- except for a few big subdivisions along bass road and then more developments farther out really away from what is a small city already, there is essentially no viable vibrant housing market. Everyone talks about the public schools being a barrier for macon to do well, but I think the fact that there is essentially no housing market is a red flag as well(apart from just new construction on new property). Of course they may be related.

It's great if you are an investor whose goal is to buy homes and then churn section 8 dollars into that monthly formular all the low end investors use.....not so great for everyone else.

And I don't think this is the case in all small cities like this. I'm thinking of towns like Montgomery, Chattanooga(granted a lot bigger and more vibrant), Mobile, Jackson, Greenville, Augusta, etc. There are pockets of non new construction(or non-providence like subdivisions) in each of those areas that constitutes something of a workable real estate market.

Basically every single house in decent condition here has a listing that reads: "Good investor opportunity- section 8 payout is 1125/month and you don't pay utilities.........."

Like...what? What if you're not an investor and looking to just buy a house lol.....

Old 02-05-2023, 06:42 AM

Quote:
After researching it and thinking about it more, I don't think this speaks well of where macon is headed. I mean think about it- except for a few big subdivisions along bass road and then more developments farther out really away from what is a small city already, there is essentially no viable vibrant housing market. Everyone talks about the public schools being a barrier for macon to do well, but I think the fact that there is essentially no housing market is a red flag as well(apart from just new construction on new property). Of course they may be related.

It's great if you are an investor whose goal is to buy homes and then churn section 8 dollars into that monthly formular all the low end investors use.....not so great for everyone else.

And I don't think this is the case in all small cities like this. I'm thinking of towns like Montgomery, Chattanooga(granted a lot bigger and more vibrant), Mobile, Jackson, Greenville, Augusta, etc. There are pockets of non new construction(or non-providence like subdivisions) in each of those areas that constitutes something of a workable real estate market.

Basically every single house in decent condition here has a listing that reads: "Good investor opportunity- section 8 payout is 1125/month and you don't pay utilities.........."

Like...what? What if you're not an investor and looking to just buy a house lol.....
There are plenty of homes in safe areas. If you don't want new, then there will be a bit of a trade-off as older neighborhoods don't have HOAs and there will be varied levels of gentrification but they are still safe areas. Having spent time in Mobile and Montgomery they are no different in that older desirable neighborhoods are close to not so desirable neighborhoods and streets can change by the block. In fact, I would confidently argue Macon has far more options than Montgomery. I am not sure where you are looking and see investment in the listing. Run. I would suggest going ahead and getting a realtor to assist you. Since you aren't concerned with schools, this shouldn't be that difficult.

Homes pop up and in this market, the good ones go quick...often under contract in a few days. The undesirable ones linger which may be part of the issue.
Maybe this is more what you want? Another safe and quiet area and not too big. Just popped up.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M59257-48229
Either way, the realtors seem to find out about the good ones before they even hit the market. I haven't bought a home in over 15 years, but I would be happy to share the names of the realtors that seem to do a lot of business in my neighborhood and other neighborhoods in desirable areas. PM me if you wish.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 02-05-2023 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon