Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2023, 02:47 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

JCPS’s bus fiasco has made national news. On the first day of school, they had students arriving one and two hours late but worse they dropped off the last student at 9:58 PM. It was so bad they canceled school for the next week. One of the amazing things was that they had scheduled bus stops on the interstate, which is against federal law. How some of this was not discovered prior to the first day of school is astounding and a monumental failure on someone’s part.

Elementary and middle school students returned on Friday after the additional week and one to try and figure out a better system. High school students will be returning on Monday and preschool has been pushed back an additional two weeks. Despite the additional days, the additional personnel, and the lower number of transported students, the final students still were not returned home until 7:43 PM. It’s hard to imagine that it’s going to be any better on Monday.

In all my years of education, this is probably the most major avoidable screwup I have heard of. I do think the thing I found most astounding was the superintendent took the Friday off work. I get that he is a father of a student that left for college, but he should’ve arranged for her to check into her new university on Saturday or allowed just his wife to take her.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/...5-fd5ca94206fa

Old 08-20-2023, 02:59 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
I heard that story first hand the day it happened by a former district teacher.

That was a complete cluster......... The basic premise was drop off points, then pickup and off your your respective school. Sounds like a plan that should have been dry run a few times before the first day of school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 08:41 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
This has happened in other cities. I have never seen a state be so negative about their major city except KY. Columbus had the same mishaps using the same software company.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:53 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
^Are they blaming the mayor?
I wouldn't think he would be the one to blame.
I would look toward the school board and superintendent first....and whoever is in charge of transportation
within the school dept.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:14 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^Are they blaming the mayor?
I wouldn't think he would be the one to blame.
I would look toward the school board and superintendent first....and whoever is in charge of transportation
within the school dept.
Good points but this is the fault of highly paid superintendent Marty Pollio.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:43 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This has happened in other cities. I have never seen a state be so negative about their major city except KY. Columbus had the same mishaps using the same software company.
Who said anything about the city? This is about the school system. It is about the school system’s response when the problem did arise, and trust me it was not an adequate response. How in God’s name did the school system not know prior to the first day of school that there were pick up and drop off points on the freaking interstate?

By the way, are you discussing Columbus, Georgia that got their students home at 5:21, immediately addressed the issue, and had it completely corrected it within two days? Or are you discussing Columbus, Ohio which was fined by the state for not providing transportation for charter schools and private schools, was made to immediately start providing transportation for all those additional students and locations, which took time to get straightened out last year? Less time than JCPS has been given this time, I might add. Which are you comparing it to?

I have been in education for over four decades, including working in school districts larger and in more urban areas than JCPS. Never, and I mean never, has a school district so royally screwed up the transportation of their students. I read education administrator journals, periodicals, and forums, the only system that is being discussed is JCPS’s.

The superintendent did not respond properly to this at all. What does that have to do with people in Kentucky liking or not liking Louisville?

Old 09-04-2023, 02:30 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
And Columbus told ijcps not to do it because of what happened with them.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:35 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Default Now short 1 bus driver

One newly retired bus driver from Louisville school district. Won the lottery.

https://www.khou.com/article/money/j...5-591e1e386ede
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area