Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2023, 04:24 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times

Advertisements

Louisville got a nice write-up and shout out by the NY Times recently. In their edition of "52 places to travel to in 2023," Louisville came in at #40.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gKN4N2M0xRObFY

Wasn't aware of the rising LGBTQ scene in Louisville. That's terrific! Also a shout-out to the Bourbon trail.

Will have to pay Louisville another visit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 06:18 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Your lack of awareness about Louisville's gay history is pretty common actually. Louisville's gay scene has been pretty well established for decades tbh. I'm not sure i'd call it "rising" but I suppose that's dependent on the individual. It's got more gay bars/events than Indy or Cinci, and it get's a lot of weekend visitors from bigger markets because of this. Louisville is an ironic oasis of tolerance in an otherwise deep red state. A lot of people write it off due to the KY at the end of it without actually researching it.

Old 01-20-2023, 03:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Louisville is often underrated and under appreciated. If there is a particular vibe you are looking for it can be found there and it is one of the most affordable urban areas in the nation. I feel like Louisville was experiencing a true renaissance until the ‘20 riots hit it. They are starting to clean up the mess and the 4th Street area when I went last month, while not up to it’s pre-riot glory, is getting back on track.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:47 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Louisville is often underrated and under appreciated. If there is a particular vibe you are looking for it can be found there and it is one of the most affordable urban areas in the nation. I feel like Louisville was experiencing a true renaissance until the ‘20 riots hit it. They are starting to clean up the mess and the 4th Street area when I went last month, while not up to it’s pre-riot glory, is getting back on track.
The biggest negative of Louisville is the horrible climate. The summer is absurdly hot and humid, and low temperatures never cool off at night due to the oppressive heat island (90F at 11 PM). Winter is a an annoying rain and mud fest with nonstop cloud cover. I'm glad I live outside the city in Floyd County, IN at nearly double the elevation as the air quality is also substantially better in my area.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Louisville is good for big events - KY Derby and KY Oaks, Thunder Over Louisville fireworks show, St James art show, growing music festivals and the like. In terms of attractions L'ville is ok but not great Museums and zoo a lot better than small cities but below what Indy or Cincy has and a lot less then the biggest cities have.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:55 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What's so aggravating about the current enormous spike in crime is that Louisville was close to getting violent crime to a sustained low level. There were only 48 homicides countywide in 2013. It starting inching from there and went through the ceiling with the covid lockdowns plus protests. There have been several high profile crime problems involving tourist (Canadian killed in robbery after Derby, high school basketball player hit by stolen car outside arena) which hurts the city's reputation. The city seems content to let the area around Churchill Downs area become as dangerous as the worst parts of the West End.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:23 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
What's so aggravating about the current enormous spike in crime is that Louisville was close to getting violent crime to a sustained low level. There were only 48 homicides countywide in 2013. It starting inching from there and went through the ceiling with the covid lockdowns plus protests. There have been several high profile crime problems involving tourist (Canadian killed in robbery after Derby, high school basketball player hit by stolen car outside arena) which hurts the city's reputation. The city seems content to let the area around Churchill Downs area become as dangerous as the worst parts of the West End.
Disagree. None of the evidence points to this.

To the OP, Louisville is one of the gayest cities in the country. It has been among the top ten highest gay MSAs per capita for years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/u...opulation.html

Old 02-02-2023, 12:43 PM

327 posts, read 222,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Louisville got a nice write-up and shout out by the NY Times recently. In their edition of "52 places to travel to in 2023," Louisville came in at #40.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gKN4N2M0xRObFY

Wasn't aware of the rising LGBTQ scene in Louisville. That's terrific! Also a shout-out to the Bourbon trail.

Will have to pay Louisville another visit.
Louisville is a very liberal city, so it is not surprising that it has a large LGBT population and receives positive reviews from the New York Times. I would argue that, in many areas, Louisville-Jefferson County is more liberal than large swaths of Southern California, especially the beach towns in Orange County.

Old 02-04-2023, 05:46 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Disagree. None of the evidence points to this.

To the OP, Louisville is one of the gayest cities in the country. It has been among the top ten highest gay MSAs per capita for years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/u...opulation.html
Pardon for those that aren’t paying subscribers to the NYT.

Crime in Louisville, murders in particular, are 5x t higher than ten years ago. As Census said, the murder rate in 2013 was under 50 yet nearly 200 last year. Cannot ignore this.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:50 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
I'll have to pay Louisville a visit in the next couple of years, for sure.

Sounds like a good middle sized city that is a bit more progressive of an island in an otherwise super conservative state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: