Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 09:47 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I never said longer sentences increased crime. But it clearly doesn't decrease crime either. Or Louisiana would have the lowest crime rate in the country. On the other hand decreasing the prison population and using the cost savings on other more useful things like education, job training, healthcare could very possibly reduce the crime rate.

Anyway letting 40 senior citizens out of prison for crimes they committed when they were young, is sure not going to increase the crime rate.
Having lived in Louisiana most of my adult life, unlike some posters commenting, I can attest there are a myriad of factors that account for Louisiana’s high crime rate. The connection trying to be drawn between length of prison time and crime rate is not particularly salient.

Old 12-25-2023, 12:55 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
You've offered no causal effect whatsoever regarding your appraisal of the the relationship between crime and length of prison sentence. Many U.S. states impose longer average sentences than Louisiana yet boast much lower crime rates. Michigan inmates serve the longest average sentence and its crime rate is far below that of Louisiana. Pennsylvania at number two is safer still. Florida has by far the most inmates sentenced to life without parole and has a substantially lower crime rate than Louisiana. Why even put forth a premise that longer sentences "don't deter crime"? Length of sentences aren't primarily predicated upon, or determined by, deterrent or rehabilitative aims. Serious crimes are punished by lengthy punitive prison terms, not to be commuted in the event that local crime doesn't decease. Does this surprise you?
Yeah, I have seen that article. I call BS on it.

Louisiana has the most prisoners serving life without parole of any states, bar none. If you are going to argue that Louisiana doesn't have some of the longest prison sentences in the country, then I don't think I'm going to debate with you, because I don't think it's debatable. It's common knowledge to most informed people.

Quote:
Louisiana sentences people to life without parole at one of the highest rates in the nation. A team of reporters from The Times-Picayune | The Advocate and The Marshall Project collaborated to investigate why and found that more than half of the people serving life in Louisiana were convicted of second-degree murder.

The state’s law contains an unusually sweeping definition of second-degree murder that includes even some accidental deaths, legal experts say. And despite the wide variations in circumstances that can produce a second-degree murder conviction, the sentence is the same: mandatory life without parole. Judges have almost no discretion.
Why does Louisiana sentence so many people to life without parole

Quote:
In Louisiana, a life sentence is a determinate life sentence wherein the inmate is not eligible for parole.

Louisiana has changed its life sentence laws many times over the last century. Originally in 1926, a life sentence was 10.5 years; in 1973 it changed to a 20-year minimum; in 1976 it was changed to 40 years; and finally in 1979 parole eligibility was abolished. It is one of only 6 states where all life sentences are given without the possibility of parole (Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota).

Currently (2022) Louisiana has the highest amount of prisoners serving LWOP at 10.6% of the population.
How Long is a Life Sentence_ It Varies! Every State Explained
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 12:59 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Look at cities where criminals are quickly released from jail in a revolving door manner. Arresting criminals and sending them to prison reduces crime because those in prison aren’t still on the streets committing crimes. It’s not just about punishing criminals or reducing crime, it’s about protecting the public. Problem is soft on crime approach leads to worse crime. Problem starts at the family home, or lack of family. It extends to public schools too afraid of the criminal students to properly enforce school rules.
Well that is your opinion, but not backed up by facts. Louisiana is not soft on crime, and still has some of the worst crime in the country.

Old 12-25-2023, 06:29 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
https://www.fox8live.com/2023/12/22/...ast-louisiana/

Louisiana is a little less safe. Wish US Presidents and governors would be required to live with those convicted of violent crimes if they pardon them. If they feel these people are safe to release from prison then have them in your home during the normal parole period.
Did you actually read any of the situations surrounding these people? From your link:

Jeffrey Hawkins, second-degree murder, Orleans Parish

On October 14, 1988, an incident occurred at 1934 Toledano Street. Ricky Wilson, residing with his cousin Joseph Lee, encountered Jeffrey Hawkins, who initially sought to sell jewelry to Lee. Later, Wilson witnessed a violent turn of events in the living room. Hawkins, armed with a knife, fatally attacked Lee.

Forced to hand over money and Lee’s car keys, Wilson became an unwilling accomplice. They drove around, and Hawkins disclosed a motive, claiming Lee mistreated his sister. Eventually, at a service station, Wilson seized an opportunity to escape, seeking refuge at a Holiday Inn. Terrified, he reported the kidnapping and stabbing to the police.

This person, Hawkins was not a murderer. He was essentially kidnapped by the killer. And at the first opportunity contacted the police. He never should have been charged in this murder.

Old 12-25-2023, 06:37 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Look at cities where criminals are quickly released from jail in a revolving door manner. Arresting criminals and sending them to prison reduces crime because those in prison aren’t still on the streets committing crimes. It’s not just about punishing criminals or reducing crime, it’s about protecting the public. Problem is soft on crime approach leads to worse crime. Problem starts at the family home, or lack of family. It extends to public schools too afraid of the criminal students to properly enforce school rules.
I live in very red, small town Oklahoma. Most people arrested and charged with most crimes are back on streets within a day or so if they can post bail. 60 days max if they cannot. And bail is usually very. Under $5k. so that means $500 or less you are out right away. We are talking dangerous drug possession or selling drugs (meth, Heroin , fentanyl, etc) burglary, car theft, felons possessing firearms, DUI, assault, domestic violence, etc. They all get a slap on the wrist and can go back to their criminal activity. They plead guilty, get a suspended sentence which can be revoked if they commit more crimes. But in reality if they break the law again they just get another suspended sentence. It takes a serious violent felony to actually do prison time.

I think the crimes listed above should require a minimum of 2 years in prison. 10 years for the 2nd offense. The streets would be cleaned up in no time and be safer for everyone.

So just to spout out that its big blue cities where the government is soft on crime is not at all true. Its most places.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:34 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I live in very red, small town Oklahoma. Most people arrested and charged with most crimes are back on streets within a day or so if they can post bail. 60 days max if they cannot. And bail is usually very. Under $5k. so that means $500 or less you are out right away. We are talking dangerous drug possession or selling drugs (meth, Heroin , fentanyl, etc) burglary, car theft, felons possessing firearms, DUI, assault, domestic violence, etc. They all get a slap on the wrist and can go back to their criminal activity. They plead guilty, get a suspended sentence which can be revoked if they commit more crimes. But in reality if they break the law again they just get another suspended sentence. It takes a serious violent felony to actually do prison time.

I think the crimes listed above should require a minimum of 2 years in prison. 10 years for the 2nd offense. The streets would be cleaned up in no time and be safer for everyone.

So just to spout out that its big blue cities where the government is soft on crime is not at all true. Its most places.
Why are OK jails full?

Old 12-25-2023, 09:36 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I would have to see more details on the people he pardoned to understand what his goal is. But it appears that most of them were very young when they committed their crimes, and are now senior citizens or close to being senior citizens. Senior citizens, even convicted murders generally don't pose a lot of risk to society.

Given the fact that Louisiana locks up more people than any other place in the entire world, and yet still has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country, I have to think the Governor is probably on the right track. Locking up people for life doesn't seem to be doing a lot of good for Louisiana.

Maybe it's time for Louisiana to look for other more effective solutions. Such as spending some of that prison money on education and creating jobs.
I am glad to hear that senior citizens which were convicted of murder generally do not pose a risk to society. Maybe Oregon and Cali should look for other more effective solutions.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:45 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I am glad to hear that senior citizens which were convicted of murder generally do not pose a risk to society. Maybe Oregon and Cali should look for other more effective solutions.
Then why even bothering sentencing seniors convicted of murder? I'd personally say that the overwhelming majority of seniors who haven't taken a human life pose far less of a risk to society.

Last edited by TunedIn; 12-25-2023 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-25-2023, 09:58 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Yeah, I have seen that article. I call BS on it.

Louisiana has the most prisoners serving life without parole of any states, bar none. If you are going to argue that Louisiana doesn't have some of the longest prison sentences in the country, then I don't think I'm going to debate with you, because I don't think it's debatable. It's common knowledge to most informed people.

Why does Louisiana sentence so many people to life without parole

How Long is a Life Sentence_ It Varies! Every State Explained
So you present no empirical data to dispute that Louisiana's average sentence served isn't even in the top 10, and all with lower rates of crime, other than "common knowledge". Or that Florida alone accounts for fully 25% of inmates sentenced to life without parole, with a far lower crime rate than Louisiana. To put forth that simply because Louisiana boasts a high crime rate while also possessing a large inmate population, that prison isn't a deterrent or doesn't lower the overall crime rate, shows no understanding whatsoever of the relationship between cause and effect. Especially considering that we don't have any possible way of knowing what the effects of your alternative would be on overall crime in Louisiana. And conversely, wouldn't one logically expect a state with persistently high rates of crime to exhibit corresponding incarceration rates? Sending less people to prison for crimes committed can't possibly be expected to lead to anything but more crime.

Old 12-25-2023, 10:53 AM

9,137 posts, read 5,799,525 times
https://americanwirenews.com/forty-c...utm_term=email

Quote:
Highlighting some of the listed individuals, KTBS recounted that on Dec. 19 Nick Charles Nicholson was pardoned for the Aug. 1981 murder of Kelly Ann Gramm who had worked at a convenience store. Nicholson had stabbed her 39 times and the tip of his knife had broken off and was left embedded in the victim’s skull.

December 13 saw the pardon of Ricky Washington, who had been convicted of first-degree murder in Oct. 1979 after he shot the owner, Grady Haynes, of a grocery store in the back of the head during a robbery. Washington had been sentenced to life in prison after the jury remained split on the death penalty.

“On Mardi Gras day, February 15, 1983, Bernice Holman was fatally shot in the parking lot of Popeye’s Fried Chicken in New Orleans,” reported WVUE. “Keith Messiah, identified through eyewitnesses and an anonymous tip, demanded money from Holman and her friends. Despite compliance, he shot Holman in the face and fled with the money.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana