Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 02:45 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

I had a phase when I wanted to live in LA. Back in the mid-90's around when the movie Speed came out along with a lot of other movies and TV shows based there, plus a layover in LAX that made it seem like it would be a fun and exciting city to live in. I also thought it would help my image to say I lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
No, just explaining that its a unique setting not replicated anywhere else in the world.

I live in San Diego, which is more or less an identical climate and similar geographic setting. Its a very large city itself, but nowhere close in any measure of influence to Los Angeles.

Year round nice weather also facilitates things like the film and TV industry.

Plenty of huge cities in the U.S. with no obvious appeal-Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Houston. Most people just aren't that confused about why L.A. is popular.
At this point I would prefer to live in San Diego. It's close enough to LA where you can always go for a day or weekend.

I live in Atlanta where as you mentioned no obvious appeal but there is appeal. You just have to know where to go (and not to go). It offers a lot for a lower cost of living, and I prefer the climate. There is the film and TV industry as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 05:35 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminesnow View Post
so i guess it’s literally an absolutely perfect place to live. fascinating
Well I've answered your question. You had no idea why people want to move here and what they find so appealing about LA. I've told you. We've told you. Hopefully now you have an understanding of many/all of the reasons why people from all over the world want to move here and call LA home.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:37 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminesnow View Post
is weather everything in life?
If you don’t like it, then don’t live there. Simple.
You have no real reason to be posting like this other than to needle and get on people’s nerves.

You literally have no reason to post what you are posting other than to feel superior to others.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:05 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Much of the appeal of LA is to be near the rich and famous, actors, actresses and musicians that live in that area. Others are wannabees that hope to be "discovered."
Quote:
I had a phase when I wanted to live in LA. Back in the mid-90's around when the movie Speed came out along with a lot of other movies and TV shows based there
I'm always amazed to hear that people actually come to L.A.--or stay here--because of the celebrity aspect. Never in my decades of living here did I ever meet anyone IRL who was even remotely interested in that. Even with multiple roommates in our early 20s, living in West L.A. Everyone we knew who relocated here did so because of a non-entertainment industry job.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:14 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'm always amazed to hear that people actually come to L.A.--or stay here--because of the celebrity aspect. Never in my decades of living here did I ever meet anyone IRL who was even remotely interested in that. Even with multiple roommates in our early 20s, living in West L.A. Everyone we knew who relocated here did so because of a non-entertainment industry job.
Exactly! In my circle, "everyone" who came here, came because of the aerospace/defense industry. LA is DC on the Pacific. Come to think of it, the resemblance to Washington DC is uncanny... except that here, the weather is better, and the metro area is larger.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:38 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:

On my only trip to California in Dec 89/ Jan 90, I talked with a lady sitting on a plane seat next to me, originally from NYC who was on her way back to LA. She had made LA her new home for a couple of years into retirement. She asked me if I had ever been. I answered no, and repeatedly said how glamorous LA was to her…

When you consider the number of books, songs and films that mention the world of wannabes from way back, it is hard to dispute the notion of show business attractiveness to a significant portion of the newcomers over time.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:21 PM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
If anyone moves to L.A for the celebrity/Hollywood factor, unless they themselves are in the business or an “aspiring” performer, they are in for a disappointment.

Because many, many parts of Los Angeles are absolutely not glamorous at all.

For most people life in L.A is business as usual, not that much different from any other city in the U.S. Nobody freaks out upon seeing a celebrity in Wholefoods, or in Amoeba, or in Kidspacd Museum (in Pasadena where I took my daughter there everyday when she was a little kid. I met Grandma driving all the way from Valencia or Moms from Encino to take the kids there. In KidSpace I saw Gavin Rossdale, Charlie Day, the guy from No Doubt-who dated Gwen Stefani-in different times with their kids. I had Brangelina’s kids next to my daughter playing together in the museum (very normal kids by the way. Went there with a tutor and a driver/bodyguard.) nobody made a fuss, nobody even paid attention to them at all.)

The only time it was weird was when we were leaving KidSpace one time, walking to the parking lot, I saw about 100 yards away a crazy woman was waving in a very over-the-top “look at me!” kind of way laughing and jumping. I didn’t know who the lady was, but nobody did that in a kids’ museum parking lot just waving senselessly in the air. Nobody had also that blond a hair and that red a lipstick in the middle of children’s museum, most parents were in your typical Southern California t shirt and casual clothing.-took me a few seconds to recognize that was Gwen Stefani (what’s up with KidSpace and its No Doubt connection?!) as I started to see packs of paparazzi next to her.-so the rumor of her calling the Paps for a photo op was probably true.

When I was single and staying with my parents for a while in early 2000, my friends came visit me from NYC. They stayed in the Standard in WeHo, so we were in the bar drinking then got invited to a party in a house on Hollywood Hills-it’s really, really, really the most cliche, corny thing ever because it was exactly like how you saw in the movies or TV: networking networking and more networking. Gorgeous house and vapid crowd. Everyone was talking about their “project”, “I was in Chateau last night (Chateau as in Chateau Marmont.) their “my agent said”, “I’m doing xyz and so and so (name dropping) is on board”….then of course every man that hit on you was either a producer or a director. (I remember rejecting someone because he lived in Glendale and had an 818 area code. lol.) It was such a “scene”, I don’t have any show business genes for that kind of things. NYC scene was already ridiculous enough, L.A being more consolidated is even more so.

Most people I know (including my own siblings and their grown children) in L.A work in finance (both in Bunker Hill & Santa Monica), law, defense (Northrop Grumman), high education, medical, tech (L.A is a huge start-up hub.) very successful music executive in Capitol Records (but extremely lowkey), and real estate. No wannabes in my circle.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:07 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
We were in LA around the New Year but stayed in Claremont and Upland. It’s a beautiful place with almost surrealistic vistas. We spent a day at the Getty, which was amazing. The Getty has a terrace that overlooks the valley. It’s an incredible view. I was almost more impressed by the building, grounds, and views outside the museum than the incredible artwork inside.

I also found the geography to be odd, with these little hills everywhere with houses built precariously upon them. Very odd looking to me, but almost tropical at the same time.

We loved it. We didn’t love the traffic, though. It was the worst traffic I have ever experienced.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:08 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
I heard there are lot less bugs. Although I am not sure if that is in Los Angeles or some other part of California. Maybe some of the locals could weigh in?

When I visited Los Angeles, I enjoyed my time there. I would have to stayed a little longer.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:49 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Pretty women
Inherently pretty or pretty because they take care of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles