Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 PM

43 posts, read 61,163 times

Advertisements

ghetto nasty south gate is very bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 04:54 PM

203 posts, read 749,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvenom1986 View Post
ghetto nasty south gate is very bad
I guess it's all a matter of perception.

It's sad to hear that though, as in the 50's and 60's it was one of the nicest places for a working class family to live.

I still plan to visit in a month or two.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM

43 posts, read 61,163 times
Ya it was but times have changed and people have fudged it up

Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 PM

350 posts, read 709,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
I was wondering if it's safe to do so?

I don't intend to get out of my truck and wander around the park or the streets or anything like that
I think so. I just did a google street view and your street looks fine.

In fact, if I were you, I'd at least try to make contact with any older person outside, perhaps working in the yard or taking a walk, and letting him know you use to live there. Maybe there is still a family or two still there. Wouldn't that be interesting? Taking that further, bring along some old photos of your street, perhaps when you were a kid playing or something. I'd do something like that.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanfan View Post

I wish Lucky Boys was still there too!
So was that the original location of the Lucky Boy on Arroyo in Pasadena or just a coincidence? I know it is owned by a Greek family (Roulakis) and I believe they also own Hi Life burger in South Pas.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 PM

203 posts, read 749,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
So was that the original location of the Lucky Boy on Arroyo in Pasadena or just a coincidence? I know it is owned by a Greek family (Roulakis) and I believe they also own Hi Life burger in South Pas.
I believe it was a small chain, so there might have been more than the one I knew. The one in South Gate was across from the Junior High School on Firestone. I think it tragic that it was replaced by a McDonald's (which could never hold a candle to it.)

I'd sure like to try that "Hi Life" if it's the same family!

Yes, if I see anyone who looks like they might have been there when I was, I'll have a chat with them!

Again, thank you all for your comments and info.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,260 times
I'm from south gate and grew up there my parents owned old time freeze drive - in on the other corner by lucky boy's across firestone from the jr. High school. There is another lucky boy's at 640 s. Arroyo pkwy in pasadena, ca. I have taken my kids there for chili burgers, they have been there for thirty years that was their location when they left south gate.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,260 times
I also lived on san vincente ave. Across from the jr. High the front of the school was our playground growing up, hide and seek in the bushes, baseball on the lawn, with all the kids on our street, and ice cream at my parents drive - in free when we were done, does any one remember the helm's bakery truck coming around every afternoon? The helms bakery was always our favorite field trip at school. They gave you a little mini loaf of bread to bring home and a foldable helm's bakery truck to put together.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
Exclamation It's SAFE!

South Gate is totally safe. Nothing will happen to you if you visit. I guarantee it! I've lived in South Gate for nearly 15 years and I continue to reside here on Jackson Ave. Simply because there are more "colored" people does not make South Gate unsafe. Its even safe to take walks at night. People are ALWAYS running around South Gate park. ALWAYS! Even at 4am! The only part of South Gate I would be more vigilant about is the section between Long Beach Blvd. and Alameda St. Other than that enjoy your trip there! I guarantee you youre safe!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
I remember my Pops taking us there for burgers! We lived in Paramount so it was a quick jaunt! I was 6 or 7 but I remember an order of fries being huge!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles