Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 04:05 PM

22,719 posts, read 36,928,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
If I can figure out a way to get the pictures from my work I'll post them here. the retaining wall is over 4 feet high. My boss thinks she's over reacting. He said what about moving? She said no. She's not some young pretty girl, I think she's in her late fifties early 60's. I think she's being stupid by thinking the insurance company is going to lower her dwelling coverage because a contractor said her house is worthless. Insurance companies will not agree to this and I certainly don't. I will admitt the house is over the top huge and Gaudy looking and looks like it's built like a fortress but as I said if the town is allowing it there is nothing she can do.
I had a very brief time working for an agent and whenever anyone wanted to lower their coverage he made them sign off that they were doing it against his advice and would affect them if they ever had a claim. Unreal how even THAT did not stop people from going forward. And all those papers were duly filed away for future reference if needed.

Not to mention if I remember your contents coverage is 50% of your stated coverage so she'd be lowering that amount too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 04:56 PM

5,974 posts, read 4,235,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Not to mention if I remember your contents coverage is 50% of your stated coverage
This has always seemed so wild to me. We like in an ~$800k house and the value of all of our contents probably isn't more than $40k....maybe $50k if we're being generous. I don't know if most people just have more expensive stuff in their house than we do, but I'm really wondering how people are sitting on $300k+ in furnishings and physical items in their home.

Old 05-15-2024, 05:01 PM

37,221 posts, read 41,453,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This has always seemed so wild to me. We like in an ~$800k house and the value of all of our contents probably isn't more than $40k....maybe $50k if we're being generous. I don't know if most people just have more expensive stuff in their house than we do, but I'm really wondering how people are sitting on $300k+ in furnishings and physical items in their home.
You might want to price replacing your stuff. Furniture comparable to what we lost from smoke and water damage from our fire is just not easily available. What I can find is outlandishly expensive, unless it is made out of cardboard.

Old 05-16-2024, 05:21 AM

20,279 posts, read 21,037,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
wouldn't having a nicer home next door enhance the value of her home ?
Many many years ago we owned a small craftsman style home, it was very nice, picture perfect home and property. Well, the retards that bought the house right next door decided to renovate it into some big monstrous gawdy McMansion. Which by many LI opinions would be a desirable home.
Anyway, when we went to sell our house there were many potential buyers who were put off by this massive hunk of stucco and vinyl. It totally overshadowed our home and in all honesty yes it just looked ridiculous and didn’t fit the aesthetic of the block. It definitely was THE reason it took a while for us to sell and at a much lower price. So point is, the fancy house next door does not always help resale and value.

Old 05-16-2024, 08:00 AM

20,991 posts, read 28,550,167 times
bottom line my boss is not going any further with this. He said to leave her home coverage as is.

Old Today, 10:16 AM

4,536 posts, read 8,358,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Not anymore I quit that place in 2017. So glad I did.
And because you did, Subway has gone downhill ever since. You were the only one that kept that company alive.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

4,536 posts, read 8,358,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Exactly. That is true of our house. Homeowner's insurance also covers the contents of the house.
Homeowners insurance should also cover your home if you "think" the home next to you is gaudy.

Old Today, 10:28 AM

37,221 posts, read 41,453,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Homeowners insurance should also cover your home if you "think" the home next to you is gaudy.
Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: