Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 07:36 AM

83 posts, read 174,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Agree that the drive to and from Maumelle isn’t pleasant. Had the powers that be had any sense of design, that could have been a nice tree-lined parkway with roundabouts and fountains.
Oh well.
Also agree that Little Rock itself is the most appealing city in its own metro in most ways.
Maumelle is good for suburbia and lower crime.
What I meant by well designed is that it is at least visually appealing. That’s an issue I often have with Arkansas cities is that they’re often very utilitarian with little if any regard for aesthetics.

As I’ve gotten older and have lived in some higher density neighborhoods, I’ve come to appreciate some elbow room and privacy so Maumelle appeals to me at this point in life.
Of course they could use more in the way of sidewalks with parks and playgrounds more frequently scattered around the neighborhoods, as well as a nice, centralized walkable business district.
But for what it is and where it is, Maumelle is pretty good.
Maumelle proper is "clean" and fairly well kept, and given that that's what you meant, I agree. It's just unfortunate that the plan quickly devolved in the mid-late 1970's from a planned, walkable town center to just "screw it" - we'll do the exact same car-center sprawl development of every other central Arkansas suburb, and literally offered almost nothing unique or extraordinary.

It's too bad that there's apparently little to no vision in the city's current leadership to focus on implementing a more dense, walkable town center, which could certainly be supported now that Maumelle has effectively breached 20,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 03:23 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I'm curious on why people are so bullish on Maumelle. It's in a great location. Love the scenery, but the schools suck. Good schools are one of the principal reasons people move to the burbs. Cabot and Bryant are much better despite their limited geographical appeal in this regard.
Let's be honest. If you can afford to live in Maumelle, then you're sending your kids to private school anyway(i.e. CAC or Little Rock Christian). "Maumelle High" is literally just Oak Grove High with a name change. People aren't fooled by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area