Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM

5,969 posts, read 3,711,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Lou View Post
Overall, people in Kentucky are not as outwardly and unabashedly conservative as people in the more conservative areas of Southern California (e.g., Huntington Beach, San Clemente, Temecula, etc.) because they do not need to prove their worth and/or battle the liberal agenda to the same degree or extent. In my perspective, Lexington and Louisville feel more liberal than Orange and Riverside counties, regardless of whether those cities are located in Kentucky or not, because all the loose change in this state tends to end up in those cities, if you catch my drift.

As it relates to certain issues such as divorce, interracial marriage, out-of-wedlock births and underage sex, I would argue that people in Kentucky are actually more liberal than people in California.

Evangelical Protestant Christians from Kentucky (and adjacent states) are much more likely to be divorced and remarried than, say, Hindu immigrants from India or Roman Catholic immigrants from the Philippines, two groups that are very common in California.

Relative to people in California, most of whom have solidly middle- or upper-middle-class origins, people in Kentucky are more likely to come from meager, hardscrabble beginnings due to higher rates of divorce and remarriage, lower household incomes, lower educational attainment levels, more prolific illicit drug use (especially heroin and other opioids) and a greater emphasis on blue-collar work/industries. As a result, teenagers/young adults in Kentucky have less supervision than their peers in California and, consequently, are more likely to engage in sex before the age of 18 and have children out of wedlock. Big, big no-nos in California where health, beauty and purity tend to reign supreme, especially in places like Orange, San Diego and Ventura counties.

Despite the level of population diversity in California, interracial dating and marriage are much more common in Kentucky, since the whites in this state are not drastically far-removed from blacks and other minority groups from a social class perspective. California is a post-modern society where people have reverted to tribalism. There are very few pretty white girls from well-to-do families in California who would ever entertain a non-white male, whereas that dynamic is very common in Kentucky.

When you remove the Catholic, Lutheran, Mormon and non-Christian religious traditions from the population, you are left with interesting ideals on marriage and family life. As ludicrous as California politics are, family life still remains more intact and traditional in California than Kentucky, as well as neighboring Indiana, which is a dumpster fire of broken families.

Until arriving in Kentucky, I had never met people whose children use their mother’s surname, instead of their father’s surname. The Scotch-Irish culture of the Upper South/Appalachia is best described as “Mother Knows Best,” which means that you will periodically encounter some cultural elements that would be considered downright strange in many other areas of the country, especially the very patriarchal Northeast, Midwest and Southwest (i.e., “Father Knows Best”).
So, in deciding to do your hit piece on Kentuckians, you thought it safer to change your board name, huh? OK. Got it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 07:02 PM

968 posts, read 517,163 times
As mentioned, Lex is blue, Kentucky is red and the governor is a Dem. So it's extremely well mixed. I don't know another city/state that looks like this.

From what I can gather (haven't quite moved to Lex yet, but have done enough research to fill a book), the PC movement isn't real big there though, which is a huge plus to me. San Francisco was my home for many years in the 80's and 90's and I didn't like being around them. They were/are highly judgmental and had nothing about them of liberalness.

Last edited by stephenMM; 02-11-2024 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-11-2024, 08:11 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Sorry to break it to you, but there's a whole lot of that in Lexington. At least among those who are at least somewhat middle- and upper-class and college (or above) educated. Get used to it!

Old 02-12-2024, 05:56 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Lou View Post
Overall, people in Kentucky are not as outwardly and unabashedly conservative as people in the more conservative areas of Southern California (e.g., Huntington Beach, San Clemente, Temecula, etc.) because they do not need to prove their worth and/or battle the liberal agenda to the same degree or extent. In my perspective, Lexington and Louisville feel more liberal than Orange and Riverside counties, regardless of whether those cities are located in Kentucky or not, because all the loose change in this state tends to end up in those cities, if you catch my drift.

As it relates to certain issues such as divorce, interracial marriage, out-of-wedlock births and underage sex, I would argue that people in Kentucky are actually more liberal than people in California.

Evangelical Protestant Christians from Kentucky (and adjacent states) are much more likely to be divorced and remarried than, say, Hindu immigrants from India or Roman Catholic immigrants from the Philippines, two groups that are very common in California.

Relative to people in California, most of whom have solidly middle- or upper-middle-class origins, people in Kentucky are more likely to come from meager, hardscrabble beginnings due to higher rates of divorce and remarriage, lower household incomes, lower educational attainment levels, more prolific illicit drug use (especially heroin and other opioids) and a greater emphasis on blue-collar work/industries. As a result, teenagers/young adults in Kentucky have less supervision than their peers in California and, consequently, are more likely to engage in sex before the age of 18 and have children out of wedlock. Big, big no-nos in California where health, beauty and purity tend to reign supreme, especially in places like Orange, San Diego and Ventura counties.

Despite the level of population diversity in California, interracial dating and marriage are much more common in Kentucky, since the whites in this state are not drastically far-removed from blacks and other minority groups from a social class perspective. California is a post-modern society where people have reverted to tribalism. There are very few pretty white girls from well-to-do families in California who would ever entertain a non-white male, whereas that dynamic is very common in Kentucky.

When you remove the Catholic, Lutheran, Mormon and non-Christian religious traditions from the population, you are left with interesting ideals on marriage and family life. As ludicrous as California politics are, family life still remains more intact and traditional in California than Kentucky, as well as neighboring Indiana, which is a dumpster fire of broken families.

Until arriving in Kentucky, I had never met people whose children use their mother’s surname, instead of their father’s surname. The Scotch-Irish culture of the Upper South/Appalachia is best described as “Mother Knows Best,” which means that you will periodically encounter some cultural elements that would be considered downright strange in many other areas of the country, especially the very patriarchal Northeast, Midwest and Southwest (i.e., “Father Knows Best” areas).
This is wrong from my perspective on so many levels, I don't know where to begin but I'll tell you I spent the majority of my adult life in CA from high school on and have lived in KY for about 3 years now. What you stated especially about families being more intact in CA, children using their mother's maiden name being common in KY is just fantasy or maybe you know of a few instances and assume it's common place in KY.
I don't even have time to dissect all the nonsense you wrote except to say after living in both states, my observations are almost the polar opposite as yours. We must be living in different states, but if you're living in Louisville it's no wonder you see KY very differently than I do. Louisville in no way represents KY as a state, far from it. I haven't been there in years and would rather not.

Of course there are pockets of CA which are more conservative than Lexington and like Lexington those red pockets in CA can't win any elections anymore either, so they have that in common. Lexington and Louisville feel more liberal than some pockets of Southern CA, because they are, especially Louisville. Luckily that doesn't translate to the rest of the state as a whole. A lot of people seem to make the mistake of visiting or living in Louisville or Lexington and then thinking the rest of the state has many political and social similarities with it, especially Louisville. You certainly seem to be one of those.

Last edited by marino760; 02-12-2024 at 06:34 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 05:17 PM

14 posts, read 15,590 times
We fled Colorado (greater Denver area) to Kentucky (just south of Lexington) to get away from the massively increasing identity politics, drugs, and crime in Denver, that was spreading out into the surrounding areas. The "vibe" there became so miserable and judgmental we couldn't take it anymore. Kentucky was described by the friend that moved with us as 'going back 20 years in time, but with modern cell phones.' People are so much more laid back and friendly. You don't feel all the social media/political crap here like we did in Denver. We are Conservative/conservatively-Libertarian and plan to continue to vote that way, too.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COHeather View Post
We fled Colorado (greater Denver area) to Kentucky (just south of Lexington) to get away from the massively increasing identity politics, drugs, and crime in Denver, that was spreading out into the surrounding areas. The "vibe" there became so miserable and judgmental we couldn't take it anymore. Kentucky was described by the friend that moved with us as 'going back 20 years in time, but with modern cell phones.' People are so much more laid back and friendly. You don't feel all the social media/political crap here like we did in Denver. We are Conservative/conservatively-Libertarian and plan to continue to vote that way, too.
You mean there is no way to avoid the identity politics, drugs and crime in the Denver area?

Old 04-03-2024, 08:23 AM

14 posts, read 15,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You mean there is no way to avoid the identity politics, drugs and crime in the Denver area?
For me, no. But I'd lived in the greater Denver area since 1987. I feel like there's probably a big difference in vibe perception between arriving there within the last, say 10 or so years, after things started to change, and living there for 30+ years. I'm sure there're people that can avoid it; that don't let it bother them. It bothers me, and I found it unavoidable.

Old 04-06-2024, 02:48 PM

968 posts, read 517,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
As mentioned, Lex is blue, Kentucky is red and the governor is a Dem. So it's extremely well mixed. I don't know another city/state that looks like this.

From what I can gather (haven't quite moved to Lex yet, but have done enough research to fill a book), the PC movement isn't real big there though, which is a huge plus to me. San Francisco was my home for many years in the 80's and 90's and I didn't like being around them. They were/are highly judgmental and had nothing about them of liberalness.
This is exactly how I feel. And I'm a Southerner who has lived many years in San Francisco. What happens in California is what happens in California, it does not follow that it happens in the South. By and large, Southerners resent being told how to think and how to vote, so the PC movement comes to a full stop anywhere in the South. Maybe it extends into Col and Az, but not the Southern states.

Moderator cut: National politics discussions are not allowed in area forums

And I see that as a good thing. As a liberal, I can't stand the far left any more than I can stand the far right. In the South, it's best to just speak your mind and let the chips fall where they may. That attitude is respected even by people who may not agree w/ you. In fact, I'd say that the South is the LAST bastion of free speech. We tell it like it is because we don't give a Moderator cut: language what someone else thinks. But we do respect people who speak their truth.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-06-2024 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area