Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 09:04 PM

16 posts, read 12,680 times

Advertisements

I wanted know if anyone would have any idea of what a self employed carpenter would be able to charge hourly in Eastern Ky.? I have been in business for 40 years and do all types of interior and exterior repairs.
I currently live in Pa. and would like to get out of here and move where the weather is a little nicer but I'm concerned that wages may be low like they are in Tn. Here in Pa. I can charge $35 per hour so if I'd move it would be nice to make at least close to the same money. Any info will be helpful.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 06:42 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I can't answer your question, but you also need to look at the cost of living where you are now to where you want to move to.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
KY will be no better than TN...so if you don't like the wages in TN...better keep looking. They are both "right to work...for less" states.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Rocky View Post
I wanted know if anyone would have any idea of what a self employed carpenter would be able to charge hourly in Eastern Ky.? I have been in business for 40 years and do all types of interior and exterior repairs.
I currently live in Pa. and would like to get out of here and move where the weather is a little nicer but I'm concerned that wages may be low like they are in Tn. Here in Pa. I can charge $35 per hour so if I'd move it would be nice to make at least close to the same money. Any info will be helpful.
Thanks
Lexington area would have the most opportunities with far more wealth so the wages there would be similar to the amount you're used to. Eastern KY coal field area is very economically depressed so don't look for anything there.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:00 PM

Living here in Pa isn't really cheap. My property tax on house with 5 acres is $2200 per year and keeps going up and electric is around $300 per month. This is a depressed coal area with a lot of bad weather and everyone here is a carpenter one time or another. But if I find work here I can make decent money but finding steady work here is getting scarce , plus I'd just like to get out of here and the cold weather . Thanks for the info it's nice to know before making a big decision like moving.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Eastern Kentucky isn't "Depressed" as "Many" would lead you to believe and hope you believe. Six new houses built within sight of my house in the last one and a half years. The housing industry in Eastern Kentucky is booming like never before. Existing housing is bringing unbelievable money. And, the demand is high.

And, yes, "if" you are an experienced carpenter with 40 years experience and have the capabilities of being a project manager, that is, you and a few others under you, with the capability to working with plumbers and electricians and other subcontractors, yes, you can earn 35.00 an hour. The demand is there. I paid 25.00 an hour 15 years ago for the same experienced carpenter I described above. Everything has changed since then.

I am sick of people speaking for Eastern Kentucky when they don't have a clue as to that they are talking about.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:40 AM

Hogsrus ,thanks for the reply . I was wondering about the wages because the economy in Ky. and Tn is better than here because it's been bad here in Pa. for years. If I would move I'd like to do (where ever I'd move) what I've been doing here the last few years which is home maintenance so I don't know how much call there is for that type of business but I'm sure there is a call for it. I like to work alone so I don't have to put up worker no shows or them playing with their phones all day. One thing is I don't want to live in an area with a lot of coal mining going on, I live here with about 600 to 800 coal trucks a day passing my house and that gets old fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area