Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 09:36 PM

11 posts, read 14,632 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Reviving the thread to see if the dynamics expressed here still hold true:
Is Parkland still the only school district that is 5-10% jewish? have those numbers gone down or up?
What is going on in the East Penn school district? I like those schools better but don't like the anecdote about antisemitism and being the only jew in school. We are moving away from an only-jew-in-school situation and would like at least some other jews.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 12:11 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
This is a good source of information.

https://www.chabadlehighvalley.com/

Old 01-31-2021, 12:19 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
As of the most recent (2007) Lehigh Valley Jewish Population Study, which I posted earlier in the thread, the region's Jewish population was slowly declining, overall. There was somewhat of a population decrease in 18104 (covering West Allentown and the aforementioned Parkland School District), but 18104 still had the highest concentration of Jewish families by far. 18062 (mostly East Penn School District) had the second-highest concentration of Jewish families and was considered a growth area, but that was a very distant second. My guess is that things haven't changed substantially since then, but I'm an outsider to the region and only have passing knowledge by virtue of Jewish geography.

These days, a Jewish student would probably not be literally the only Jew in their entire school, or even their entire grade. But for the most part, they'd probably be the only one in the classroom. Whether or not anti-Semitism was, or still is, a problem, you won't find strength in numbers if that's something that matters to you.

Parkland is distinctively Jewish by regional standards only. I don't think they even give off for either Jewish High Holiday. However, assuming things haven't dramatically changed, a Jewish student would probably have at least one other Jewish classmate in most of their classes. (Wikipedia-)famous Jewish Parkland alums include author Lauren Weisberger, United States District Judge Joshua Wolson, and Allergan CEO Brent Saunders.

Short of paying for Jewish day school, for a truly immersive Jewish experience, or choosing a prestigious non-sectarian (or low-key/nominally sectarian) private school (of which I couldn't tell you the first thing), it's your best bet if you're looking to find other Jewish families.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:15 PM

329 posts, read 224,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
As of the most recent (2007) Lehigh Valley Jewish Population Study, which I posted earlier in the thread, the region's Jewish population was slowly declining, overall. There was somewhat of a population decrease in 18104 (covering West Allentown and the aforementioned Parkland School District), but 18104 still had the highest concentration of Jewish families by far. 18062 (mostly East Penn School District) had the second-highest concentration of Jewish families and was considered a growth area, but that was a very distant second. My guess is that things haven't changed substantially since then, but I'm an outsider to the region and only have passing knowledge by virtue of Jewish geography.

These days, a Jewish student would probably not be literally the only Jew in their entire school, or even their entire grade. But for the most part, they'd probably be the only one in the classroom. Whether or not anti-Semitism was, or still is, a problem, you won't find strength in numbers if that's something that matters to you.

Parkland is distinctively Jewish by regional standards only. I don't think they even give off for either Jewish High Holiday. However, assuming things haven't dramatically changed, a Jewish student would probably have at least one other Jewish classmate in most of their classes. (Wikipedia-)famous Jewish Parkland alums include author Lauren Weisberger, United States District Judge Joshua Wolson, and Allergan CEO Brent Saunders.

Short of paying for Jewish day school, for a truly immersive Jewish experience, or choosing a prestigious non-sectarian (or low-key/nominally sectarian) private school (of which I couldn't tell you the first thing), it's your best bet if you're looking to find other Jewish families.
Or move to the Phila. metro region of southeastern PA where I can assure you there will be vibrant Jewish populations in almost every county.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:45 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,510 times
Another revival of a 14 year old thread. I understand that Allentown has a sizable Jewish community, but we’re looking for property less pricey and about a 30 minute drive to Allentown. Any recommendations as to towns that are safe and with houses $300k or less, 30 minutes from Allentown?

Old 05-28-2022, 04:37 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,589 times
That is going to be really tough to do. I don't know of any notable Jewish communities that meet that criteria. I am not even sure how Jewish the West End of Allentown is any more (which is about as affordable of a Jewish community you will find), and you will probably find very few Jewish families with school aged children. Its going to be an older Jewish population, what remains of it. I am not sure if they are still trying to do this but the Allentown JCC was looking to sell and move west since South Whitehall and beyond are were the Jewish communities is tending to move.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
That is going to be really tough to do. I don't know of any notable Jewish communities that meet that criteria. I am not even sure how Jewish the West End of Allentown is any more (which is about as affordable of a Jewish community you will find), and you will probably find very few Jewish families with school aged children. Its going to be an older Jewish population, what remains of it. I am not sure if they are still trying to do this but the Allentown JCC was looking to sell and move west since South Whitehall and beyond are were the Jewish communities is tending to move.
Thanks.

Let me just ask this: Which LV area community or area gives you the most bang for your buck housing-wise. Schools are not an issue.

Quakertown piques my interest.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:33 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
Thanks.

Let me just ask this: Which LV area community or area gives you the most bang for your buck housing-wise. Schools are not an issue.

Quakertown piques my interest.
Oh, if schools aren't an issue, the West End of Allentown is perfect then. The schools are trash but if you don't care, you can get the best house for your dollar. If you are fine with just an "okay" neighborhood safety wise, you can live like a king (the below 2 are not in the West End btw, you'll need to target a pretty modest house with 300k to spend)

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Allentown/...home/173031021

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Allentown/.../home/69117510

That second one in particular I think is very handsome (I know, personal taste what have you) but the neighborhood is just okay. There was a time that 300k could get you everything you wanted in the LV, that time has passed.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Oh, if schools aren't an issue, the West End of Allentown is perfect then. The schools are trash but if you don't care, you can get the best house for your dollar. If you are fine with just an "okay" neighborhood safety wise, you can live like a king (the below 2 are not in the West End btw, you'll need to target a pretty modest house with 300k to spend)

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Allentown/...home/173031021

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Allentown/.../home/69117510

That second one in particular I think is very handsome (I know, personal taste what have you) but the neighborhood is just okay. There was a time that 300k could get you everything you wanted in the LV, that time has passed.
“Okay” ain’t going to work. I’m a big guy with a concealed weapons permit, but I’m not going to put my wife at risk.

I guess I’ll need to bump up how much I’m willing to spend to $400k.

How is Quakertown?

Old 05-31-2022, 12:41 PM

74 posts, read 72,418 times
Quakertown is the place you drive to for the Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc and then you keep going to get somewhere else. The town itself does not have a ton of life in it. It is also no-man’s land when it comes to Jewish congregations per google maps.
For $300-400k I would look at Hellertown and Northeast Bethlehem. You can get a Cape Cod or rancher with a 1-car garage in that range. Hellertown has a nice farmers market, easy access to the Saucon Rail Trail, some decent restaurants, a brewery, grocery store, butcher, Dr and Dental offices, etc. Also easy access to I-78.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley