Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 03:35 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times

Advertisements

A round trip from NY to PA and back by car runs about 100 bucks.
This is just for gas and tolls in your own vehicle. That's 50 bucks each way.
It is not including, insurance,registration and wear and tear on the vehicle.
Now imagine on top of that, having to pay some one to bring you back and
forth?

I do not see a cheap and affordable way to travel daily to a big city any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 08:41 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,589 times
Someone needs to just make it happen. Like 90% of Amtrak is a money losing venture, with the Acela corridor making it close to solvent. If all these remote places can have unprofitable rail connections, why can't we? Someone needs to say "here is what we are going to do; find some spot along the rail lines on the southside of Allentown, make a train station and make a connection. There is loads of cheap, developable land on the soutside to build higher end housing for commuters. Boost the local tax base, save the Allentown School District and boom, we now have a thriving city". There a million rust belt towns with no prospects. The Lehigh Valley has prospects, just gotta make it happen. Covering farmland with warehouses is better than nothing, but cannot be the end game.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Someone needs to just make it happen. Like 90% of Amtrak is a money losing venture, with the Acela corridor making it close to solvent. If all these remote places can have unprofitable rail connections, why can't we? Someone needs to say "here is what we are going to do; find some spot along the rail lines on the southside of Allentown, make a train station and make a connection. There is loads of cheap, developable land on the soutside to build higher end housing for commuters. Boost the local tax base, save the Allentown School District and boom, we now have a thriving city". There a million rust belt towns with no prospects. The Lehigh Valley has prospects, just gotta make it happen. Covering farmland with warehouses is better than nothing, but cannot be the end game.
I totally agree. Rail can be a game changer.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:39 AM

1,213 posts, read 954,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Totally agree. I grew up in Easton and stayed until going off to college, moving to Philly after graduating. I still go back to Easton to see family from time to time and, from the 90s to now, have always seen the huge need for transit to NYC. HOWEVER, the elephant in the room is this: how long is heavy rail going to be the fastest, easiest and most cost-effective transit choice? It will take, what, 10-15 years to build out these massive projects we're discussing - establish the rail route, claim eminent domain in courts for property that is critical, build the rail, build and establish the stations, etc...

We already have the technology for self-driving cars. Entire towns in CA have taxicab services of self-driving cars, and, while there are some bugs to work out, they are getting streamlined quickly. In two decades from now, it's possible we'll jump in the back seat of our hovercraft or car and get on our laptop as it self-drives (following all road laws and thus reducing accidents dramatically) us to our destination. Or, for those that can't afford a single-family car, replicate with buses or larger people-carriers of some sort.

Now, I'm playing devil's advocate to large extent with this. It's very possible, or more likely probable, that I'm escalating the timeframe of getting this future scenario in place. However, my broader point is this - does it actually make sense to build out massive rail infrastructure really anywhere, except those areas where infrastructure already exists and only a quick-add on would be necessary, at this point in time in technological advancements?

Old 12-08-2023, 12:01 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
*Update*

https://www.mcall.com/2023/12/06/scr...n-left-behind/

Old 12-11-2023, 05:31 AM

446 posts, read 249,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Article is behind a hard paywall.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:21 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
Article is behind a hard paywall.
Not for me which is how one came upon the thing. If you don't know how to configure your browser to avoid such things I can't help you.

Try a internet news search using keywords " EVAN JONES" and "Morning Call".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley