Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the UK or the USA better place to live and work?
United States 8 57.14%
United Kingdom 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 01:07 AM

62 posts, read 37,344 times

Advertisements

Good morning to everyone,

I am a graduate student who studying Finance and banking for my master degree. I am looking forward to work in the financial sector when i complete my degree and get some working experience first. At this moment i live in Greece but I really want to immigrate in other country which provides higher living of standards and better working environment. After long research I have decided to migrate in the US or in the UK because these countries offer tones of opportunities in my sector. For this reason i want to ask you some information about these countries.

First of all, it’s easier to get worker / skilled worker visa in the UK or in the US as an EU citizen? How many years of working experience do you need in order to apply for a worker visa? In terms of living which country provides higher living standards, better and friendlier working environment and higher wages in the financial sector? Last but least in terms of society are Britons or American more easy going and friendlier in the daily basis?

Thanks in advance, I am really looking forward to listen your views and your advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 08:11 AM

Any thoughts??

Old 11-25-2023, 08:33 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Man View Post
Any thoughts??
Both countries have very detailed immigration websites which go into details of every currently available visa option from soup to nuts; application to fees.

How friendly and easygoing are Greeks?

Old 11-25-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Both countries have very detailed immigration websites which go into details of every currently available visa option from soup to nuts; application to fees.

How friendly and easygoing are Greeks?
Thanks for the response,

I already have checked their websites in order to get useful information but I am not sure if it is easier to get UK or US skilled worker visa as a EU citizen. I know that in order to get a visa in the USA, the employer must prove that you are better than the domestic candidates, a fact that reduces the chances of getting the visa.

Now in terms of Greeks it depends where do you live. If you live in Athens then the residents are very easy-going, but in the rest of the country people are usually more rough and narrow minded.

Old 11-25-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Man View Post
Thanks for the response,

I already have checked their websites in order to get useful information but I am not sure if it is easier to get UK or US skilled worker visa as a EU citizen. I know that in order to get a visa in the USA, the employer must prove that you are better than the domestic candidates, a fact that reduces the chances of getting the visa.

Now in terms of Greeks it depends where do you live. If you live in Athens then the residents are very easy-going, but in the rest of the country people are usually more rough and narrow minded.
Again - do your research.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:32 PM

85 posts, read 39,276 times
I can't tell you which is easier to get a work visa for, but I'll venture that there are more and better opportunities in the US than just about anywhere else.

Since Brexit, the UK has been a more difficult environment on many fronts. Plus, the standard of living (as opposed to quality of life) is much higher in the US. You can buy more stuff with fewer weeks after-tax income. Gas in the US is currently averaging about $0.75 a liter vs about $1.85 in the UK.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApprenticeWineSnob View Post
I can't tell you which is easier to get a work visa for, but I'll venture that there are more and better opportunities in the US than just about anywhere else.

Since Brexit, the UK has been a more difficult environment on many fronts. Plus, the standard of living (as opposed to quality of life) is much higher in the US. You can buy more stuff with fewer weeks after-tax income. Gas in the US is currently averaging about $0.75 a liter vs about $1.85 in the UK.
Basing an immigration on the price of gas is an interesting approach. The standard of living in a walk up in London is not worse than the one in a walk up in NYC.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:55 AM

85 posts, read 39,276 times
Quote:
Basing an immigration on the price of gas is an interesting approach. The standard of living in a walk up in London is not worse than the one in a walk up in NYC.
It's the standard measure, but if you prefer we could compare the prices of a half-gallon of scotch, or better still, a half-hundredweight of grade-A weed.
Neither London or New York are representative of their respective countries. That's why I didn't mention either.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:52 PM

621 posts, read 310,782 times
Quote:
Both are beneath me (since I was privileged to be born in the US of A). US of A offers better than London and NYC.

Old 12-25-2023, 03:10 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Keep in mind that in the US most people get a lot less annual leave than in the UK and Europe. My daughter worked in finance in London and knocked back an offer in New York as the purpose of her living overseas was to travel in her free time.

Depends if that is important to you. Also there is the need to compare health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration