Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 01:30 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,984,634 times

Advertisements

We also have the B1 language level requirement in France in order to become a citizen. I believe that now there is also a written test.
I am a fluent English, French, and Latin Spanish speaker and my partner speaks French, English and Italian. We’re teaching our kids to speak in all four languages. ( it’s how I learned in the home).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 03:52 AM

5,769 posts, read 11,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
We also have the B1 language level requirement in France in order to become a citizen. I believe that now there is also a written test.
I am a fluent English, French, and Latin Spanish speaker and my partner speaks French, English and Italian. We’re teaching our kids to speak in all four languages. ( it’s how I learned in the home).
This is a good thing. Good knowledge of the language helps people become more successful and independent. Germany also has a B1 language requirement for naturalized citizenship in most cases. It means a person not only has to attend a B1 level language class, they need to pass a certified exam like this one:

https://www.telc.net/en/candidates/l...eutsch-b1.html

It is not a simple multiple choice test - it requires good grammar knowledge and some reasonably good speaking skills. The written exam takes 2 1/2 hours!

Old 11-26-2022, 08:39 PM

43,209 posts, read 18,363,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
I was recognized as an Italian citizen a few years ago. And therefore, I hold dual US/Italian citizenship. It was a long process taking over 3 years to complete. I did everything by myself, without the help of a paid service (which can be very pricey). I had a few discrepancies in some of my documents, which I needed to correct. Also, since my GF changed the spelling of his last name (on his own), I needed to file a petition in court for a one-and-the-same judgement, which was granted because I had overwhelmingly evidence to prove that fact.

The past 3 or 4 years has seen a marked increase of people applying for Italian citizenship. This has resulted in Italian consulates in the US limiting or stopping citizenship appointments because of staff shortages and, until recently, the COVID debacle.

There is some misinformation posted above about obtaining Italian citizenship, and the link referenced earlier in this thread has some outdated and/or misleading information. The reader should follow all links in that link regarding women born before 1948. Also, a few years ago, Italian law was changed concerning citizenship through marriage to include passing a language exam.

PLEASE, do not believe everything you read. Anyone who has not gone through the ENTIRE process (culminating in recognition or determination of ineligibility) is just guessing.
I did the same with Ireland. Took about 2 years total and I also did all the work myself

Old 12-05-2022, 04:42 PM

74 posts, read 28,430 times
Seems very high to me.

Pretty much no blacks or Asians and few enrolled tribal members are eligible (20% of population)

Hispanics (19%) are not really eligible. Those who were born in the US aren't eligible, and those who weren't would have to live in Spain for years and secure a visa there, which isn't that easy.

That would mean 2 out of 3 whites are eligible. Highly unlikely, given that other than Italians, few in New England and the South are eligible (since they've been here for 150-200+ years in most cases). German and English ancestry are not that easy to get, and those are huge ancestry groups in the US. Very very few people have a grandparent born in UK or Germany. Few Irish people qualify since not many people have a grandparent born in Ireland, though many have a great grandparent or great great. German/English/Irish probably account for 75%-plus of white people in the US. Nordic-descent people in the Midwest have been here way too long. Other than Italian-Americans, the most promising group would probably be Slavic-descent people in the Midwest, many of whom are only second or third generation and descend from relatively recent arrivals.

I would be surprised if 20% of whites qualify, which is 12% of the overall US population.

I don't buy 40% at all. Maybe if they're counting routes like 'Irish Associations,' which requires living in Ireland for 3 years (which requires a work visa in most instances).

So let's say 10-15% qualify, now we have to see who cares to get it. I got EU citizenship by ancestry 12 years ago and by virtue of getting it, I made more than 100 people in my family eligible, and made the process extremely easy and cheap for them relative to what I had to do (like 10x easier and 5x cheaper). So far zero of them have gotten it; two have applied for it and are on the verge of getting it. 63% of Americans don't even have a passport.

Last edited by pleg1; 12-05-2022 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 09:41 AM

7,385 posts, read 4,166,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleg1 View Post
Seems very high to me.

Hispanics (19%) are not really eligible. Those who were born in the US aren't eligible, and those who weren't would have to live in Spain for years and secure a visa there, which isn't that easy.

63% of Americans don't even have a passport.
Hispanics aren't from Spain. Hispanics are from South America. I am willing to bet many Hispanics still have citizenship from their country of origin Peru, Columbia, Bolivia, etc. This may be why the number of dual citizenship is so high? Even with the number of US Hispanic, 40% still an unrealistically high percentage.

I agree 40% is a silly number when, as you noted, 63% of Americans don't even have a passport.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:23 AM

74 posts, read 28,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Hispanics aren't from Spain. Hispanics are from South America. I am willing to bet many Hispanics still have citizenship from their country of origin Peru, Columbia, Bolivia, etc. This may be why the number of dual citizenship is so high? Even with the number of US Hispanic, 40% still an unrealistically high percentage.

I agree 40% is a silly number when, as you noted, 63% of Americans don't even have a passport.
Hispanics born in Latin American Spanish-speaking countries that were Spanish colonies (not just South America, but Mexico, Central America, DR, etc.) have a special route to Spanish citizenship, since most descend partially or in some cases entirely from Spaniards (though there is no test for this; simply being born in those countries qualifies you). But again, I explained why most US Hispanics either don't qualify or won't realistically get it (US-born Hispanics who are now the majority of Hispanics - about 60% - do not qualify, and foreign-born Hispanics would have to qualify for a Spanish work visa first on the same grounds as anyone else, and then live in Spain for years before applying for citizenship).

Old 12-06-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleg1 View Post
Hispanics born in Latin American Spanish-speaking countries that were Spanish colonies (not just South America, but Mexico, Central America, DR, etc.) have a special route to Spanish citizenship, since most descend partially or in some cases entirely from Spaniards (though there is no test for this; simply being born in those countries qualifies you). But again, I explained why most US Hispanics either don't qualify or won't realistically get it (US-born Hispanics who are now the majority of Hispanics - about 60% - do not qualify, and foreign-born Hispanics would have to qualify for a Spanish work visa first on the same grounds as anyone else, and then live in Spain for years before applying for citizenship).
I am surprised!

Quote:
Those born to a Spanish father or mother are Spanish by origin. If that’s you, you’re actually Spanish. Simply visit your nearest Spanish consulate with the required documents and apply for a passport.

The remaining 99% can be fast-tracked to naturalization after one or two years of residency in Spain. You’ll need to be physically present in Spain and not be outside for more than six months each year. You can spend more time outside the country if you can provide valid justification (e.g., family issues and business overseas). Only Sephardic Jews don’t need to be physically present in Spain to claim Spanish citizenship after two years of residency.

Naturalization:

Two years: For nationals of Andorra, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, the Philippines, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Venezuela and persons of Sephardic origin (non-naturalized citizens).

One year: Persons born in Spanish territory.

Persons who, at the time of their application, have been married for one year to a Spanish national and are not legally separated and have not had a common-law separation.

The widower or widow of a Spanish national if, at the time of the death of the spouse, the widower/widow was not separated in fact or legally.

Those born outside Spain to a Spanish father or mother (also born outside Spain), or who have a Spanish grandfather or grandmother, provided that all were originally Spanish.
https://www.goldencapitalist.com/lat...h-citizenship/

Quote:
Latin Americans can launch an application for Spanish citizenship after 2 years of legal residence in Spain. This situation entailed many fraudulent offers and scam web-sites offering foreign nationals fast passport programs in Latin American countries with subsequent acquisition of Spanish citizenship.

It should be kept in mind that no fast passport programs exist in Latin America. The shortest naturalization period exists in Argentina and Ecuador; these countries offer citizenship after only 2 years of residency. Also the privilege to be naturalized in Spain in two years applies only to native-born Latin Americans. Therefore, if you acquired citizenship of the Dominican Republic or any other Ibero-American country by naturalization or marriage and then moved to Spain you would not be able to apply for citizenship of Spain after two years of legal residence. Like any other foreigner you will be expected to reside 10 years before it is possible to become a citizen of Spain.

If we take other Latin American countries the residence period required to be eligible for citizenship ranges from 2 to 5 years as follows:
https://www.second-citizenship.org/p...schemes-fraud/

Wondering why so many of US Hispanic immigrants didn't go to Spain? Is travel too expensive or Spain's COL is higher? Idk.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:32 PM

3,351 posts, read 2,319,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am surprised!

https://www.goldencapitalist.com/lat...h-citizenship/

https://www.second-citizenship.org/p...schemes-fraud/

Wondering why so many of US Hispanic immigrants didn't go to Spain? Is travel too expensive or Spain's COL is higher? Idk.
I am also wondering this, as shouldn't it cost much less than going the caravan route from Central American countries? I heard it costs the equivalent of thousands of dollars to caravan and pay coyotes. A road trip from USA to Central America I heard costs that much I heard. I am sure passports and plane tickets are much cheaper than that. Spain's right of return law appears to make it more of a streamlined process to immigrate from almost all Latin American countries than to emigrate to another country within the Americas not just the US.

I am thinking the caravan is entirely political I am not so sure what happened between the US and those countries though. And the current Mexico adminstration is helping them get asluymn in Mexico and to get to the US. Whereas Mexico used to make it very difficult to cross its southern border.

Interestingly many in US and Americas may already have multi national citizenship under automatic operation of legislation from countries they have ancestory in even without their knowledge. It can even pose problems if they ever enter a country that claims them as their citizens ie the passport trap in Poland I heard. It appears they mentioned if Poland finds out someone has Polish ancestry and thus considered a citizen under its nationality laws even by descent it would not recognize any other citizenship or travel documents they may hold or had entered Poland with and some had been detained until they can get at least a Polish passport and some other hoops before being allowed to leave again. Fortunately I heard they abolished compulsory military service though. If being required to get a Polish passport is the only potential consequence than I guess its not so bad ie one may get EU citizenship benefits and healthcare?

Old 12-08-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I am thinking the caravan is entirely political I am not so sure what happened between the US and those countries though. And the current Mexico adminstration is helping them get asluymn in Mexico and to get to the US. Whereas Mexico used to make it very difficult to cross its southern border.

Interestingly many in US and Americas may already have multi national citizenship under automatic operation of legislation from countries they have ancestory in even without their knowledge. It can even pose problems if they ever enter a country that claims them as their citizens ie the passport trap in Poland I heard. It appears they mentioned if Poland finds out someone has Polish ancestry and thus considered a citizen under its nationality laws even by descent it would not recognize any other citizenship or travel documents they may hold or had entered Poland with and some had been detained until they can get at least a Polish passport and some other hoops before being allowed to leave again. Fortunately I heard they abolished compulsory military service though. If being required to get a Polish passport is the only potential consequence than I guess its not so bad ie one may get EU citizenship benefits and healthcare?
My father's grandparents were from Poland. They left before WWI & before Poland was a country, so no dual citizenship. The Austro-Hungarian Empire which is long gone so no dual citizenship to Austria or Poland. I guess if you had a relative who came after WWI and lived in an area which wasn't part Poland's never ending border changes with Germany or Ukraine or Czech Republic.

It's not as easy to get dual Poland citizenship - especially with the language requirements.

Quote:
Remember! In order to be legally recognised as a Polish citizen, you need to have a Polish language qualification of level B1 – you need an official confirmation. Information on how to obtain such a certificate can be found here.
https://www.gov.pl/web/mswia-en/appl...polish-citizen

In addition for citizenship:

Quote:
has resided legally in Poland for a continuous period of at least 1 year;

Has a permanent residence permit obtained on the ground of Polish origin or in connection with their status as a holder of the Polish Card (Karta Polaka).
I'm going to say that it's bullsh*t about Poland/detaining citizens. It's the EU laws that Poland would operate under.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:41 AM

3,284 posts, read 1,762,686 times
This is interesting, my late mother came over from Germany when she was 13 with the rest of her family in the late 1930's. I remember walking down to the post office once every year with her when I was a small child so she could register as an alien citizen. In our home we all spoke German when her side of the family came to visit. I can still carry a halting conversation in German.

I still have copies from Ellis Island documenting their arrival so I believe I'd have a good chance at dual citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration