Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 02:21 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billys155 View Post
It's very tough to predict what countries will be at their best in what's coming, but to answer to your question. I would like to move there because I'll be having a much better income with what I'm doing now and I believe there's much more potential into doing your own business in the USA. I think the opportunities are countless and despite the difficulties, I think that if you really are after something, you can achieve it over there easier than in Europe
What experience do you have in running your own business? Do you have a specific business plan? Have you tried to start a business in Germany? Some states in Germany, in particular the five eastern states (formerly East Germany) have lower costs of living and good state-sponsored incentives to start your own business. I am a retired US citizen and live in Chemnitz (Saxony) and my cost of living here is much lower than it would be to rent a nice place near downtown in most decent cities in the US.

I can see a problem if you are working in the trucking business in Germany. Trucking companies from other EU countries, especially Poland, bid for contracts from German companies and win a lot of business, because they charge lower rates (due to lower labor costs).

Why not try for a job at the new Tesla factory just outside Berlin near the new BER airport? Work your way up in the workforce there, and maybe Tesla will open a door to a job in the US at some future time? Your English writing looks pretty good - what skill level is your German? Are you at least a B2 or C1?

https://www.glassdoor.de/Jobs/Tesla-...yRedirect=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 02:58 PM

705 posts, read 505,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If you invest $500,000 to $1 million US dollars in a business in the US, you can get an automatic green card.

Otherwise it is a long, expensive thing to achieve.

The US isn't part of the EU, you can't just show up and get a job. You have to have a social security number to get hired and you need to be a legal alien to get a SS card unless you want to pick tobacco in North Carolina or crops in California.
Uhhh, I don’t think so. There are literally millions of illegal aliens in the US that live, work, have tons of children, live here all their lives. They even get welfare, government assistance, free medical care. If I have any advice for the OP, just get here. Once your in, your just about golden. Keep your head down, be the Grey Man. Work for cash, lots of employers, especially in the construction trade, restaurant and agriculture will “look the other way”. They are begging for truck drivers in the US. If you have the money, get a used truck, start a hauling service for cash.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
There is a shortage of truck drivers in US now.
Did you ever watch a movie called Fear Eats the Soul,it is a GERMAN movie of how an Arab married to a Polish German woman faced discrimination.
Many Chinese from China came over with $$ and started a restaurant,they dont ask if you have any experience.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:10 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Part time DJ turned trucker (please consider that this is not necessarily what you consider OTR). DMV and DOT do not look the other way when it comes to documentation. Please step away from Bollywood and CNN. Show me how OP can legally immigrate - uscis.gov.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:25 PM

28 posts, read 46,276 times
Quote:
If you invest $500,000 to $1 million US dollars in a business in the US, you can get an automatic green card.

The US isn't part of the EU, you can't just show up and get a job. You have to have a social security number to get hired and you need to be a legal alien to get a SS card unless you want to pick tobacco in North Carolina or crops in California.
Oh wow. No I don't want to do that! Haha

By the way, I've got to thank you guys for your responses

Last edited by billys155; 03-16-2021 at 05:34 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 05:33 PM

28 posts, read 46,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
What experience do you have in running your own business? Do you have a specific business plan? Have you tried to start a business in Germany? Some states in Germany, in particular the five eastern states (formerly East Germany) have lower costs of living and good state-sponsored incentives to start your own business. I am a retired US citizen and live in Chemnitz (Saxony) and my cost of living here is much lower than it would be to rent a nice place near downtown in most decent cities in the US.

I can see a problem if you are working in the trucking business in Germany. Trucking companies from other EU countries, especially Poland, bid for contracts from German companies and win a lot of business, because they charge lower rates (due to lower labor costs).

Why not try for a job at the new Tesla factory just outside Berlin near the new BER airport? Work your way up in the workforce there, and maybe Tesla will open a door to a job in the US at some future time? Your English writing looks pretty good - what skill level is your German? Are you at least a B2 or C1?

https://www.glassdoor.de/Jobs/Tesla-...yRedirect=true
I've gotten my English Proficiency degree in Greece many years ago, which is C2 if I'm not mistaken, BUT here I've got no degree at all for the German language. I just learnt how to speak through daylife, and I think I'm near B1, which is not very good I know

Also, I'm already trying to start something of my own here, but I can't seem to make it. Places are not good enough to rent and start something. As for eastern Germany, yeah its cheaper, but the income is also lower

Old 03-16-2021, 06:35 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:

Those numbers are outdated. 800 plus roughly 150-200 for fees, .... and invested at risk with no owner input. I am not up to speed on the former 1 mio one.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:23 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,604 times
You need a trucking company to sponsor you. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:16 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Uhhh, I don’t think so. There are literally millions of illegal aliens in the US that live, work, have tons of children, live here all their lives. They even get welfare, government assistance, free medical care. If I have any advice for the OP, just get here. Once your in, your just about golden. Keep your head down, be the Grey Man. Work for cash, lots of employers, especially in the construction trade, restaurant and agriculture will “look the other way”. They are begging for truck drivers in the US. If you have the money, get a used truck, start a hauling service for cash.
You can't get a commercial drivers license without the proper paperwork. No reputable company is going to allow an unlicensed driver near their trucks. If you own your own truck, you might get away without a license for a few weeks, until you get stopped for an inspection, at which point they will tow your truck away.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:40 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
If you invest $500,000 to $1 million US dollars in a business in the US, you can get an automatic green card..
Is it still that low? Ridiculous. No one with such a small business will do much of anything to help out our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration