Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:08 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I’m an immigrant from Germany.
I received hatred from the kids when I was in grammar school.
I was called Nazi Boy, Adolf and things like that in the late 60’s and in the early 70’s.
Lost my dialect by high school.
No problems since then.
Yeah kids and the ignorant are mean at times.
What's interesting to me (and I am not sure if this is relevant or not) is that many high schools used to have foreign language clubs. Spanish Club, French Club and German Club with club activities that centered around language and culture of those countries. By the 1980s, the German clubs were gone. My own high school had one in the 70s and by the 80s, it was gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 10:42 AM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What's interesting to me (and I am not sure if this is relevant or not) is that many high schools used to have foreign language clubs. Spanish Club, French Club and German Club with club activities that centered around language and culture of those countries. By the 1980s, the German clubs were gone. My own high school had one in the 70s and by the 80s, it was gone.
They seem to do well here including exchange trips and the works.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:55 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
I’m treated very well now because no one knows that I’m an immigrant unless I want them to know. That was not always the case, especially living in Syracuse NY during the early 50s. I was being bullied in the 7th and 8th grades resulting in black eyes and a bloody nose until I learned to fight back. Some adults would say why don’t you learn to speak English or go back to were you come from. I started to hate the country and wanted to go back home to the farm. We moved to CA in 56 and my friends were mostly Mormon, and my English was getting much better as was my life. In 1959, I moved to Texas started a family in the 60s, and life is good.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Not sure under what rock you are, as I'm here for decades, have an accent and never had anything you describe.

Maybe you have a nasty character that others don't like, but based on being a European, I have to meet the first American, in the entire US (all different States) that is rude, just based on dealing with an European.

Your post sounds more like an anti President left wing post.

To me this entire thread is strange...
This. The entire post sounds like an excuse to bash the south for being racist. Which it isn't.

When the White Supremist shot up the church in Charleston, South Carolina, we were the only city that did not have race riots. Baltimore practically burnt itself to the ground.

The south is much more tolerant than other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I needed a good chuckle. You bring up the good old discrimination card for yourself and then throw it at women.

I am no buying Bentlebee's "living in 12-15 states" either. To me living in a state means, house, work/business, community. But that is me.
Also this.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:18 PM

35,670 posts, read 21,030,020 times
All depends on the where and when. I’m from SFl and 50 yrs ago the Jews owned it side of the Italians. Then Cubans showed up and they were upset. The Cubans open to all but American Blacks who simply couldn’t get any headway. Since Hurricane Andrew - many went north and west Fl. The Haitians became established then soon after the Columbians owned it all. The Russians and Central Americans/ Venezuelans /and South Americans have a big piece of the pie. South beach is a naked UN - everybody is from everywhere. Never saw racial fights or neighborhood brawls. Kids fight - they just fight, for any reason, but to me the blatant racism runs in the smaller cities and towns. They hate everyone. Over the years the bitter Northwesterners and northeastern transplants have turned everyone against immigrants period /trying to establish their views. We made so much headway and lost it again. I’ll take the immigrants over our own bitter folks.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:56 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
All depends on the where and when. I’m from SFl and 50 yrs ago the Jews owned it side of the Italians. Then Cubans showed up and they were upset. The Cubans open to all but American Blacks who simply couldn’t get any headway. Since Hurricane Andrew - many went north and west Fl. The Haitians became established then soon after the Columbians owned it all. The Russians and Central Americans/ Venezuelans /and South Americans have a big piece of the pie. South beach is a naked UN - everybody is from everywhere. Never saw racial fights or neighborhood brawls. Kids fight - they just fight, for any reason, but to me the blatant racism runs in the smaller cities and towns. They hate everyone. Over the years the bitter Northwesterners and northeastern transplants have turned everyone against immigrants period /trying to establish their views. We made so much headway and lost it again. I’ll take the immigrants over our own bitter folks.
How can the north easterners turn locals against immigrants? And since the topic title, they turned locals against European immigrants? I thought the north east has more immigrants than most other parts of the country, so the NE transplants would be more used to them.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
How can the north easterners turn locals against immigrants? And since the topic title, they turned locals against European immigrants? I thought the north east has more immigrants than most other parts of the country, so the NE transplants would be more used to them.
Wit thinking and start researching before throwing the discrimination card. Czech, German, Vietnamese then add a cross section of Mexico and South America and a couple of the usual offenders.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:56 PM

671 posts, read 853,756 times
My husband is from western Europe and was told "You are not an American" when he spoke tosomeone and the person heard the French accent.

Arizona, 2019

Old 02-29-2020, 12:56 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
My husband is from western Europe and was told "You are not an American" when he spoke tosomeone and the person heard the French accent.

Arizona, 2019
The French are awful to Americans abroad.

Not saying that made that person right.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post

Arizona, 2019
And that is "not being treated well"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration