Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 08:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In some ways Southern New Mexico is as good as it gets IMO. Mountains, deserts in a reasonably temperate climate that isn't ridiculously expensive and over crowded.
ous

How long do you expect that to last? Housing is already up 25% over a couple years ago and while it may seem reasonably priced to people from much more expensive places who bring piles of cash and their pensions with them, its not that reasonable for people who have to make a living on the low wages here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 12:48 AM

32 posts, read 47,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille98 View Post
Thank you for this info! Once we get there, I hope to make good use of the hiking options. Most hiking here is done in the middle of the forest and you need loads of DEET to keep from being eaten alive by ticks and mosquitoes.
We moved here two years ago and have hiked every crevice and canyon of the Organ mountains. Right now the monsoons have brought waterfalls and streams throughout the mountains. I’m almost 20 lbs lighter than when I moved here. The out door options are endless. We head up to Ruidoso and Cloudcroft to hike and camp and the Gila Wilderness isn't too far either. The weather is almost perfect. Not as hot as Tucson or Phoenix but not as chilly as ABQ. Hiking in a t-shirt in February was easy to get used to. The best part is the lack of crowds. Most of my hikes are 4-5 hours and sometimes I won’t cross paths with another person and others only two or three. My dog has never gotten a tick in the two years we’ve lived here and last June we visited my wife’s parents in the Midwest and she had a tick on her the first night. Mosquitos are almost non existent here as well. The dry air is also a great advantage over the Midwest. I will take 95 with 30% humidity over 80 and dew points in the high 60’s any day and the warm nights with low humidity is like heaven.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:20 PM

37 posts, read 39,145 times
We were just hiking La Cueva trail this morning! Most people headed up to the sanitorium, so we went the opposite way. Got to cool our feet in the freshwater creek a few times! Was a fantastic hike!

The mosquitoes we do have here LOVE me. I live near Mesilla and they are actually fairly bad right now, but still nothing like the giant things that would come carry you away up north!

We are also on our way to getting into better shape. I had Vitamin D deficiency and struggled with seasonal affective disorder. Moving here is probably the best thing I could have done for both my physical and mental wellbeing.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:41 PM

32 posts, read 47,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille98 View Post
We were just hiking La Cueva trail this morning! Most people headed up to the sanitorium, so we went the opposite way. Got to cool our feet in the freshwater creek a few times! Was a fantastic hike!

The mosquitoes we do have here LOVE me. I live near Mesilla and they are actually fairly bad right now, but still nothing like the giant things that would come carry you away up north!

We are also on our way to getting into better shape. I had Vitamin D deficiency and struggled with seasonal affective disorder. Moving here is probably the best thing I could have done for both my physical and mental wellbeing.
You’re near the river so I’m sure the mosquitos are quite a problem down there. Up here on the east side they’re not too bad. I know all about SAD. I lived in one of the cloudiest places (lowest percentage of possible sunlight)in the country, for most of my life. That will not be an issue here. October and November are my favorite months.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:59 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcrow46 View Post
You’re near the river so I’m sure the mosquitos are quite a problem down there. Up here on the east side they’re not too bad. I know all about SAD. I lived in one of the cloudiest places (lowest percentage of possible sunlight)in the country, for most of my life. That will not be an issue here. October and November are my favorite months.
I think the mosquitoes are the problem in this specific year. I live up by Mountainview Hospital, and was doing yard work a couple of nights ago and got stung on my calves 3 times in about 20 minutes. This has been the worst summer for mosquitoes in at least 5 years. But then again, the amount of rainfall speaks for itself and was the reason I was pulling weeds in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces