Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 03:11 PM

176 posts, read 220,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It depends on how you define middle class. I consider myself to be middle to upper-middle class. My DH and I are retired with pensions and SS. Many of my neighbors are retirees from all over the country, as well as some locals. Many are on pensions from government agencies, police dept retirees, firefighter retirees, state employees and retirees from various municipal government jobs, as well as retired military. Homes are priced from around the high $300s (a few) up to a couple mil. There are lower price homes in surrounding towns and areas. We've seen a major increase in home prices over the 10 years we've lived here. Our home is now worth almost 2 times what we paid for it back in 2013.
Retired military, police, and fire types? Jobs oft referred to as "blue collar?" Say it isn't so? How many times have I had sales/corporate/office folks look down their nose at me for my blue collar profession? How many times have people told me to ditch dead-end government work and instead chase commissions and profit structures? How often (silent-T, by the way) have people barely tolerated my presence due to my employment, and made me and my job the butt of their jokes? All the while not knowing that I was not only better educated than they were, and that my Mensa membership was something they could never achieve.

Now, it turns out, they didn't earn/save as well as I did either and cannot afford my neighborhood, muchless my Florida winter home. Well, I guess they were wrong. Sure hope those long downward sloping noses kept the rain off their Stacy Adams and Loubitons all those years.

Mike Rowe has been absolutely correct all these years, and now the hoity-toity elite are unhappy with the results. Whaddya do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 11:26 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
I've lived here for 10 years and have never had anyone look down on me for working as a public servant for all those years. DH either, and he worked for the dreaded state tax department. The vast majority of TV residents are retired. There are people here from many walks of life and most have NO IDEA what others did for a living. It's not a common question actually. We mostly hear "Where are you from?", or "How many grandkids do you have?" not "What did you do before you retired?". Mainly because no one gives a darn about FIPs (Formerly Important People). Other people's former jobs have no relevance unless you need CPR and they were once a first responder or doctor/nurse/EMT.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:33 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVirginia View Post
I am sending a vibe from different forums that there appears to be an “issue” or potentially growing debate between people who own their homes in TV, vs. those who own and rent out their house, particularly as VRBOs. Can those of you who live in TV advise if there are “significant” number of VRBOs/rentals? My husband and I are going back to TV for our 2nd visit, we really like it there. Admittedly, we would prefer to have full-time neighbors vs. those who change out and are just using the house on a weekly basis.

Thank you.
As an additional note, when you visit and before making an offer on any home, please do our due diligence on the home, and casually meet/chat up your potential next-door neighbors if possible. Grill your realtor too about any neighbor issues they know of. The vast, vast majority of homes here are owner-occupied.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,150 times
Default Thank you Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
As an additional note, when you visit and before making an offer on any home, please do our due diligence on the home, and casually meet/chat up your potential next-door neighbors if possible. Grill your realtor too about any neighbor issues they know of. The vast, vast majority of homes here are owner-occupied.

Thank you Shadow for the feedback about what the village is seeking to do about the “problem children”, and good idea with speaking to the neighbors. You are a wealth of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville