Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 04:07 PM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
This comment stuck out at me and I wanted to ask why you think that is.

I waited until today to ask the question because today I finally got my offer letter - I'll be working at the UT Medical Center starting in mid-February. (First post in the Knoxville forum - hi everyone!)

I'm a single gay male, almost-senior (don't qualify for any discounts yet but AARP is after me to join!!!), but will be gainfully employed. Relocating from Tucson, Arizona, which was scruffy long before Knoxville ever assumed the mantle. (It's still very scruffy, but it's the desert!)

Libertarian politically so a pox on both the houses but that's not relevant. I've already identified quite a few things I want to get involved in, but was curious as to the "not easy to acclimate" statement.
The downtown area and the area around the University are more LGBTQ friendly than the outer 'burbs. They also have a lot more going on as far as activities and events like concerts or Broadway plays, and things like craft breweries and trendy restaurants. Housing here has definitely gone up in price and increased scarcity in the last couple years. There are more new and upscale condos and lofts downtown, where the 'burbs and outlying towns are more SFHs and apartments.

We're in our 60s, but we live in a far-flung subdivision of a nearby small town. Our neighborhood is mostly seniors and has lots of activities, so it's easy for us to make friends here. Politics is only an issue if you let it bother you. I'm liberal, hubby's conservative. I find myself not expressing myself freely in public when it comes to politics because I avoid conflict and don't feel like dealing with belligerence, etc. For the most part TN people are kind, generous, helpful and neighborly. And most are "live and let live" types.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:17 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The downtown area and the area around the University are more LGBTQ friendly than the outer 'burbs. They also have a lot more going on as far as activities and events like concerts or Broadway plays, and things like craft breweries and trendy restaurants. Housing here has definitely gone up in price and increased scarcity in the last couple years. There are more new and upscale condos and lofts downtown, where the 'burbs and outlying towns are more SFHs and apartments.

We're in our 60s, but we live in a far-flung subdivision of a nearby small town. Our neighborhood is mostly seniors and has lots of activities, so it's easy for us to make friends here. Politics is only an issue if you let it bother you. I'm liberal, hubby's conservative. I find myself not expressing myself freely in public when it comes to politics because I avoid conflict and don't feel like dealing with belligerence, etc. For the most part TN people are kind, generous, helpful and neighborly. And most are "live and let live" types.
I am curious, where did you decide to live? The area you described sounds like it would have been a fit for us.

As for the politics we too are liberal but were assured politics does not dominate the conversations and we'd be fine. But that was years ago, the climate is different now. I too would bite my tongue for the same reasons as you, I don't want any conflict. But it would have been difficult to have to constantly do this and I'm not even all the politically minded.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:46 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am curious, where did you decide to live? The area you described sounds like it would have been a fit for us.

As for the politics we too are liberal but were assured politics does not dominate the conversations and we'd be fine. But that was years ago, the climate is different now. I too would bite my tongue for the same reasons as you, I don't want any conflict. But it would have been difficult to have to constantly do this and I'm not even all the politically minded.

An IG friend of mine who's an East TN native (he's even in some group in which you have to prove you're descended from East TN pioneers) told me just yesterday that in his opinion, Knoxville "is a deeply conservative city that cosplays as a progressive one."

Old 01-12-2023, 10:21 PM

148 posts, read 377,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
Have your twins visited the UT campus? Our son graduated from UT Knoxville, however the majority of the students came from TN high schools. He transferred in from a northeast college due to our relocation, but it was difficult for him to acclimate. Could have been because he did not start as a Freshman, but many of the students had interests that differed from what he had been familiar with. A bit of a culture shock, but he got through it and then relocated to the SC coast.
On the other hand, I thought TN was a refreshing change from the northeast once we settled in. Nice people, beautiful scenery and no state income tax!

Not yet, but we have a trip scheduled for June so we can check out both the school and the area. They're still Juniors in High School, so we have a little bit of time.

Old 01-13-2023, 03:55 PM

176 posts, read 220,206 times
Quote:

Yes, it sucks having to have to do that, biting one's tongue, hiding one's thoughts and feelings. Thousands of us in California, Illinois, NY, etc. have had to do it for decades. Welcome to the club.

Old 01-13-2023, 05:40 PM

455 posts, read 669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M&J View Post
Not yet, but we have a trip scheduled for June so we can check out both the school and the area. They're still Juniors in High School, so we have a little bit of time.
Touring in June won't get you the real feel of the campus, but if they think they might like it, come back once the students get back in the Fall. Of course, Vols football is quite the event, so that would be fun.
Not sure where you are coming from, but if somewhere outside the South, it will be different than what they are used to. Mostly because the student body at UT consists mainly of kids from TN high schools, not from outside the area. Not saying it is a bad thing, but something to be aware of.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
An IG friend of mine who's an East TN native (he's even in some group in which you have to prove you're descended from East TN pioneers) told me just yesterday that in his opinion, Knoxville "is a deeply conservative city that cosplays as a progressive one."
It's more like a small blue island in a sea of swirling red and purple.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Tellico Village in Loudon County, about 30 miles SW of Knoxville.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:21 PM

148 posts, read 377,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
Touring in June won't get you the real feel of the campus, but if they think they might like it, come back once the students get back in the Fall. Of course, Vols football is quite the event, so that would be fun.
Not sure where you are coming from, but if somewhere outside the South, it will be different than what they are used to. Mostly because the student body at UT consists mainly of kids from TN high schools, not from outside the area. Not saying it is a bad thing, but something to be aware of.
We've moved around a lot. They were born in Frederick, Maryland (hi, DaveinMtAiry), Then we moved to Florida (Oviedo), back to Maryland (Ellicott City), then Florida (Winter Garden), Florida again (Lutz), then Boise, Idaho and now Carson City, Nevada. Most of the time we were somewhere in Florida, so I don't think they'll have trouble getting used to the South.

Old 01-15-2023, 06:57 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Following this thread with interest and hoping some of you could comment on your experience with the town of Alcoa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville