Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2020, 12:02 AM

45 posts, read 67,729 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I am seeking an honest answer from a mortgage lender or someone with experience in this area.

Are buyers forced to use a specific termite remediation method by their lender and are they also forced to use the one that offers the longest warranty if so?

Traditional fumigation is terrible for the environment and especially for the bees in the neighborhood. I am working to encourage persons buying a home near me, to choose the safer heat treatment alternative with the difference being at my expense.

I am being told the mortgage lender is insisting on the treatment company that provides the longest warranty.

I was always under the impression that a certification of the home being clear and free of termites by a certified inspector after treatment is all that is required by a lender to proceed. Is that true or false?

If it is true that lenders also insist on the treatment that provides the longest warranty, does the lender actually come out and do an inspection during the warranty period?

If not, what difference does it make to a lender if the warranty is 1 or 3 years if no one is reinspecting during the warranty periods anyway?

Mahalos for any insider insights!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 12:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
It depends on the lender

Old 10-03-2020, 01:37 AM

Thx whtviper1 . I value this response from your experience. Knowing it may be so with certain lenders helps me to feel confident that all avenues I could've taken to bring out a healthier solution for all were exhausted.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Now that I more awake - Lenders mostly don't get into the business of telling a buyer what treatment to use - they want a free and clear inspection that no live infestation exists. They aren't fumigation companies/experts.

If your termite report says they recommend a tenting fumigation (which is generally a very serious infestation)- then that is probably what the bank is mostly insisting on.

What was in your control was picking a termite inspection company that favors the treatment option you prefer but that is not a guarantee.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:34 PM

It's a neighboring home and I have been doing what I can to influence their chosing to go with a company that uses high heat to kill them if needed and the need did indeed arise. Heat is the cleanest and safest option for all and the environment. I offered to pay the difference as it is more expensive.

I just learned they chose to go with the toxic poison gas because "the bank says they need to" and I am calling bull on that. I think the buyers and sellers agent are just looking to plow through with what is easiest for them to arrange so they can close quick and move on.

I am pretty well researched on what studies and reports are out there about how bad it is for the air as these green house gases are far worse then carbon dioxide and stay in the atmosphere for up to 100 years. I am learning they take out the bees within a 6 block radius. We have already lost so many in the last several years that I am lucky to see one single bee once every few weeks. I use to see dozens a day. I am also personally concerned about some potted fruits and herbs I have in an area just outside of the reccomended 10 feet away from the home on an upper deck being burned and ruined.

I am more surprised the buyers are not concerned about their 9 month baby that will be crawling around or their two smaller dogs in the least. Far too many people than what is reported end up very sick after moving into fumigated properties and their have been deaths, particulalry with younger children or smaller pets. This data is often buried well. DOW, the company that makes ithe chemical, is powerful and can do that.

I will go stay at a resort for the week they are fumigating and water everything near my property line well. I gave a heads up to the neighbor on the otherside who has herb gardens well within ten feet and two small dogs that run outside. Because I am willing to open my wallet and pay for the cleaner and safer option, for the benefit of all of us on earth that breath air and need the bees to survive according to Einstein, I do not understand why the toxic option has to be happening.

I am an acquaintance to the listing agent, whom I reffered to my neighbor that is selling and feel that she is not being honest about this or that she may be too naive/inexperienced and the buyers agent is giving her a line she is unable to counter on behalf of the safe and clean choice for all, happily at my wallets expense. It sounds like bull to me.

Simply baffled. Heaven help us all. Have a wonderful day in Paradise whviper1. Mahalos.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:31 AM

483 posts, read 625,103 times
Tenting only requires 24 hours of gas treatment and it is 100% effective in killing every termite. Heat treatmentd are not 100%.
The gas leaves no residue and only kills whats in the tent. I think you are getting yourself a bit overly concerned.

Back to your original question. Yes, some lenders do require tenting depending on the inspection report. Especially if it is a VA loan. They are the most picky and require section 1 clearance.

Aloha

Old 10-04-2020, 06:37 AM

483 posts, read 625,103 times
The gas only kills whats in the tented house for 24 hours. Once cleared after tenting there is no worry.
Yes many lenders require it because it is 100% effective. No need to reinspect the house. Especially VA loans. No way aroynd it. Heat treatment is not 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai