Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:23 AM

306 posts, read 336,244 times

Advertisements

Da Crack has some good stuff. Anakes Acai in the market to the right of it is good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:30 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
For breakfast either Kountry Kitchen in Kapaa - big portions, good food, but lots of tourists so there's often a long wait - or, Tip Top Cafe in Lihue. Very old school, but great breakfasts, local style.

If you want a really good hamburger, try Street Burger in Wailua. Everything is made on the premises, and they use local products as much as possible (i.e. local grass-fed beef). Burgers are BIG and they have lots of different combinations on the menu; they also give you a ton of (delicious) fries. Reservations are recommended there. We also like to stop at Duane's Ono burgers in Anahola (located in the red shack next to the Anahola post office) when we're up that way.

Verde in Kapaa has good Hawaiian-style Mexican food, and lots of people like Paco's Tacos in Kapaa as well. Island Taco out in Waimea is good too if you're out that way.

Hukilau (in Waipouli) for seafood is very good too.

Agree about Hamura's and Mark's Place in Lihue - they're both well worth a stop for local grinds. Island Taco out in Waimea is tasty too if you're out that way.

Best shave ice (IMO) is the TegeTege truck in Kapaa. The original JoJos in Waimea is pretty awesome too.
I ended up eating at Verde one night.

One thing I didn't realize until getting there was how early places seemed to close. I was staying in Kapa'a and for instance, one day I drove up to Ke'e (spelling?) and watched the sun set.

By the time I left it was getting dark and I wanted to return to Verde - I started calling them at 8:40 to place a pick up order knowing I would make it there right at like 8:55 but they wouldn't pick up. I passed them on the way to my place which was right around the corner and I saw they were still open but I figured I wouldn't bother going in to place an order 5 minutes before closing. I had eated there 2 days before and when I walked in at 8:35 they stated I could only order to go. So I took my food to my room and although it was good I knew it probably would have been better eating inside.

I just had so much sightseeing to do that sometimes I missed some of the places I wanted to eat at which was difficult because eating local places I won't experience ever at home is one of the things I enjoy most about traveling. So small lesson learned for next time I come

Old 07-16-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
Da Crack has some good stuff. Anakes Acai in the market to the right of it is good too.
I had my first acai bowl in Oahu right after this Kauai trip. I will keep Anakes in mind for my next trip there.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
NOM burger in Kapa'a food truck is life.

Unfortunately they were closed the one day I went there

Old 09-08-2017, 04:25 PM

746 posts, read 837,904 times
I've been in Kauai working for the last 3 weeks and I have never been able to find a seat in Hamura's. There must be a secret code. Even at 2 pm when most restaurants are empty, every seat was filled. Apparently everyone else but me knows how to get a seat......

Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 PM

37 posts, read 36,896 times
#1 burger on the island - Bubba's in the shops at Koloa. It doesn't look fancy at all, but the meat is local, grass-fed and out. of. this. WORLD.

The most basic-looking albeit gourmet-tasting burger you are gonna taste on-island. Not to be missed. Hit Lappert's right down the walk for some freshly made frozen dessert!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:18 PM

252 posts, read 422,402 times
You will not go hungry on Kauai......

Some additional ideas for the OP and others:

KEOKIES PARADISE : In the poipu shopping village ( Poipu road ) : Really very nice tropical ambiance and indoor water fall, and outside small lagoon and water fall, and lush foilage. What we liked a lot was the sunset special dinners...4:45 to 5:45pm in the dining room. About $ 25.00. Warm pineapple /chocolate muffins, starters, about 5 to chose from. A main entre, 6 choces, ....we liked the steak, very tender and tasty, and finish up with a desert. Absolutely excellent, every serving, every time that we ate their over many , many years. Note: You will receive two menus. One is a huge heavy regular menu, many yankee bucks. The other is a smaller one page plastic card that has the sunset specials . Most patrons discard the small menu and go for the biggie. The local
residents, always ordered from the Sunset Special Menu.

We always had reservations, and would get there about 4:30pm and sit up at the bar for happy hour. We would check in with the lovely and friendly hostesses, and let them know about our 5pm reservations....and they would give us an electronic paging device, and buzz us at our res. time. Happy hour drinks were in the bar only, so we would just about be starting on our second and take them into dinner with us. Easy going, great ambiance, friendly, and great food.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

local Places in Lihue :

ROBS GOOD TIME BAR AND GRILLE: In the Rice Street Shopping Center, Super Happy Hour, drinks and food. Also, a sports bar if you have any fave team...they can generally get it up on one of their many TV's if it was being televised. Two bars and tables. We usually sat up at one of the bars.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KIBO JAPANESE RESTAURANT: You can check the address on their website. Small friendly and excellent Japanese restaurant. Not like long table Benehana. More exactly reminds me of the restaurants when based in Okinawa and Japan. They have photos of all of their meals on a many page menu. Street is hard to find, more like an alley. From main hwy, makai ( toward the ocean ) on rice street, maybe one minute, traffic light, and Possers Reatly Office on the right hand corner. Hang a right, at Prossers, Kibo is just a few yards on your right.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and

BBQ place....I think it was Kress St, Lihue...another alley.....first possible right hand turn after the Rice Street Shopping Village. Looks like an alley across from some loading docks. 50 feet after you turn off rice. One small lit sign, on your left. Easy to miss. Again you should be able to find them on their website. Very nice, friendly, comfortable with excellent service, and check out their full on "specials " . Bread. Tea, Soup and Salad, Main Course, and Desert for around $ 16.00. We moved off island three years ago, so it might be a bit higher .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BREWERY: A bit Further down Rice Street....going toward the ocean, on your right, a few doors down past the Rice Street Shopping Center. Maybe 40 yards or less.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KALAPAKI BEACH HUT.......keep heading toward the beach, at the base of Rice Street on the makai side ( ocean ) is a two story old building....very near kalapaki beach and the Lihue Marriot. Very, very good take out. Order down stairs, and take you food up stairs to picnic tables on the view platform, or out back, and eat under the pine trees overlooking kalapaki beach and Nawiliwili Harbor.

KALAPAKI Beach marriot Tiki Bar. Next to the pool, and the beach. All out side , at the bar stools or the tables by the pool. They also have beach service out on the manicured grass next to the sandy beach. Very good food and drink, and super friendly. Also great conversation bar, with interesting people to talk story with. This will be resort prices, but we spent a lot of time there. We lived just across the road.

The above are just a couple of our faves, we have loads more, but others have mentioned some of them already.

Keep the fun light illuminated......grinds and grog will be all around you.

Some other faves, without all the discriptions

LIHUE ; Kauai Pasta, Dukes Downstairs,

KAPA'A: Hukuilau Lanai....Number one fave on Kauai.........Olympic Cafe

KOLOA TOWN

Old 10-27-2018, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,379 times
We love "Da Crack" in Poipu. Order from a little window, pick up great food!

Old 11-03-2018, 07:38 AM

252 posts, read 422,402 times
Old post, but might revive it a bit for those heading over to kauai, in 2018.

Koloa Town......our fave is La Spezia.... very nice peaceful ambiance, excellent and friendly servers, and great meals.
Very comfortable bar, and a neat wine cellar that is actually not a cellar , but on the same floor as the dining area.
Local Residents, and visitors as well. Between the main shops and the super market . RESERVATIONS are a good plan.
Warm woods, and pleasant toasty atmosphere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poipu Road area :

Keokies was one of our faves when we lived on island for 10 years. located in the ( Poipu Shopping Village )....indoor waterfalls, very tropical setting, outdoor ponds, excellent staff, always friendly and efficient, and live music at happy hour in the lounge.

They have a SUNSET DINNER SPECIAL, 4:45 to 5:45 pm every day...several courses for about $ 25.00, pine apple chocolate muffins, starters/salads, main courses, and desert. This is not known to most visitors. We would have reservations for 5 pm,but get here early and enjoy a happy hour maitai in the bar. But, checked in at the front desk, and they give you a buzzer, that rattles at your appointed reservation time. Or just walk up to the desk. Note : The Sunset Special menu, is a small plastic card inside of the massive wooden regular menu that is resort prices. Most visitors disregard that sunset special small menu. Your choice. For us, as visitors for 12 yrs and residents for 10 yrs, we always had the sunset special.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also we liked kalapaki joes, especially after hiking or going to the beach. Also , good breakfasts . Happy Hour food and drinks is also a good plan. Located at the poipu kai resort, overlooking the tennis courts. Always had great times there, good food, super specials, fun staff, and happy customers .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Salt for a special night out. On the Beach , a few yards down from poipu beach park. Not much of a view, but done in very good taste. Excellent staff, and professionally presented dinners.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One place that has not been mentioned :

Kaleheo Steak House.....about 10 minute or less drive from Poipu taking koloa road to the main hwy...Trading Post...
then west to Papalina light in Kaleheo....left turn, and on the left.

No tropical ambiance , it is western paniolo style, excellent food and service, all western motief, and down stairs, live music and dancing. Best check and call them, as we have been off island for three years now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Resort Happy Hour on the island....

OASIS at the Waipoli in Kapa'a. One of our faves.....get there early for happy hour at the freindly bar, and then have reservations for dinner out side overlooking the beach. Very pleasant, and just good fun and service and easy feelling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fave restaurant on the island..

HUKILAU LANAI......kauai Coast Resort at the Coconut Market Place in Kapa'a

Best meals and also wonderful friendly service.. Jon opens the bar at 4:30 and we snug up to the tiny small bar and talk story, and then go in for our 5:15pm reservations. Everything is excellent, and over all of the years, was our number one, special dinner or date night dining . RESERVATIONS. Later ,, live music in the lounge....very popular with residents and visitors .

Others have listed some of their faves that are also some of ours so wont repeat to much.

Denny and Erica

Old 05-09-2020, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 19,902 times
It depends....are you coming from the mainland with an air of scumbag entitlement, or you actually saying that you're pure and want actual Aloha...?

If a scumbag, then Brah, you in the right place.bIf not, stay where you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai