Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 06:55 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortably_numb View Post
You make valid points. Apologies if I offended.
None taken.
Besides, at least you have a football team worthy of support.

The same reasons you are vacating KC, are the same reasons many in Calif are vacating Calif. Cost of living has become ridiculous. 4 years ago, our average light bill was $200 per month. Now, it's $700+ per month. This is not my average, this is the average for over a million households. It's more like people are fleeing the high cost of living, here.

Now, OP...where are you thinking of going? Tenn? Texas? North Cackalacky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 07:00 PM

55 posts, read 17,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
None taken.
Besides, at least you have a football team worthy of support.

The same reasons you are vacating KC, are the same reasons many in Calif are vacating Calif. Cost of living has become ridiculous. 4 years ago, our average light bill was $200 per month. Now, it's $700+ per month. This is not my average, this is the average for over a million households. It's more like people are fleeing the high cost of living, here.

Now, OP...where are you thinking of going? Tenn? Texas? North Cackalacky?
Indeed we are very proud of those Chiefs.

I'm going to Albuquerque. If I can't make it there, it's back home to Ohio where I grew up. Live in the parents' basement apartment for awhile and start over.

I was naive enough to think I could stay in KC forever. I guess I'm a refugee now too.

PS- $700 for an electric bill is insane. I don't think I've ever paid more than $150 for an electric bill in my life! They usually average about $80 in Missouri.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:30 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Anywhere in the US an average single adult wage earner is priced out of the housing market, almost for rental property but most certainly for an actual house in a safe neighborhood. There are 1st time home-buyer programs but if you do the math, they are not all that helpful in this market. Adult children are living with parents trying to save up money for a down payment, but house prices are going up faster than they can save. Interest rates will have to come down in order to improve the market.

I live in Albuquerque and love it (from Missouri). But there are challenges. There were 30K residents in 1940 and now about a million in the metro. It grew fast after WW2. There is a housing shortage. The movie industry and studios are moving into New Mexico and ABQ, Amazon built a facility, Intel is hiring 3000 workers. A new "starter" home will run $350K and up. The 1950s housing stock is sturdy and well-built, but homes are going at the same prices or higher. Rio Rancho offers more for your money but still high and a longer commute if you work in ABQ. Los Lunas has lower prices but likely 1+ hour interstate commute. There is a Facebook data facility in Los Lunas. The East Mountains (Cedar Crest, Edgewood, Moriarty) have cheaper land prices, but the commute is an issue. Of course, if one works from home these commutes are not as much of a problem. There are only seven bridges across the Rio Grande in the Albuquerque metro so if you work on the east or west side it is better to live on that side. Albuquerque is hemmed in on the east by National Forest and on the north and south by Indian Pueblo lands so the only way to expand is to the western desert. All that being said, ABQ is a great place if you enjoy outdoors, a goldilocks climate, and mountain and desert scenery. Santa Fe is an hour away -- close enough to enjoy but not too close. There are only 2.2 million people in the 5th largest state. There is a commuter train connecting Santa Fe to Albuquerque and south to Belen.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:21 AM

165 posts, read 142,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Anywhere in the US an average single adult wage earner is priced out of the housing market, almost for rental property but most certainly for an actual house in a safe neighborhood. There are 1st time home-buyer programs but if you do the math, they are not all that helpful in this market. Adult children are living with parents trying to save up money for a down payment, but house prices are going up faster than they can save. Interest rates will have to come down in order to improve the market.
The financial crash of 2007-2009 made it more difficult for banks to provide loans which dried up construction of new homes and apartments. We are feeling the impact of the policies enacted after that recession presently.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:06 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
It’s a good thing that KC area real estate appreciation is picking up over time as now people can actually make a larger profit off their properties and not be up against a larger price disparity for pricing power compared to other metro areas in the US.
I will say that the JOCO housing market is beyond absurd for most of the housing prices there, especially considering the lofty taxes in other categories. It makes it quite an expensive place to live.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:40 AM

9 posts, read 3,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortably_numb View Post
So this is a farewell to KC. I hope the region gets housing costs under control. I hope it continues to be a great place to raise families.

My hope is that this thread can be a catalyst for discussion on how this town really "grew up" and exploded with growth over the past 23 years.
I've only been in kc myself since 2014, but it has been weird to see how real estate prices have jumped over that 10 year span. we bought a place in leawood in the area bounded by 119/135 and state line/nall, and based on listings I would venture to guess the value doubled in 10 years. I do believe that doubling is probably in-line with most decent areas in suburban america, though (right?).

Albuquerque sounds like an interesting place. Youtuber geography king raves about it. downtown albuquerque has a reputation for being kind of fancy and expensive if Im not mistaken. Hope it works out though - best of luck... moving is always kind of fun in that you get a built-in adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City