Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmikev View Post
I actually started looking into Parkville just today. A lot of people seem to like this area, the schools are good and definitely closer to my work downtown. Someone at church told my wife that tornadoes tend to touch down north of the river more than any other area though?
Most tornadoes around here consist of short-lived gusts of 70-90 mph winds that knock down a few trees, power lines and maybe rip up a few roof shingles. Most of the time they're not even really sure whether it was a tornado or not. Had a storm passing through here last week that was like that: the folks at the National Weather Service eventually determined there were 4 tornadoes that passed through the KC area - 3 category F0 and 1 category F1 - but if they went through your neighborhood you'd think it was just a big gust of heavy wind in the middle of a thunderstorm.

The sirens do add an air of scariness to the whole experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 11:01 PM

264 posts, read 250,002 times
Quote:
I actually started looking into Parkville just today. A lot of people seem to like this area, the schools are good and definitely closer to my work downtown. Someone at church told my wife that tornadoes tend to touch down north of the river more than any other area though?
I've lived in the Northland (Metro KC north of the river) for 17 years and the tornadoes always seem to miss us so it is safe to say that tornadoes are at the complete back of my mind when living here. Schools are solid, as I am a graduate of Park Hill High School (though Parkville has more students going to Park Hill South). They are, in my opinion, on par with the schools found in OVP and LS. It's a quaint little town and is usually one of my top recommendations when someone asks me where to live in suburban KC.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 18,981 times
TabulaRasa hit the nail on the head. A lot of it comes down to cost of living. I love San Diego and have been here 20 years but its a bit of a rat race to try and get ahead because its so expensive to live here. Our mortgage is $2600/month for a 1400 sq ft house and we had to buy 45min north of downtown where I worked because we couldn't afford anything in SD proper. We're seeing houses almost half the price they are here in KS and MO and they're all over 2000 sq ft. Our friends just bought a house 40min outside of San Diego in the opposite direction that's 2000 sq ft and it was over $750K+. That's ridiculous. My wife is primarily a stay home mom so to afford a house like that here on one income you have to make $160K+/year. And the crazy thing is the wages here don't match the cost of living so it ends up being a grind just to get by. Also the other high costs like taxes, gas is $4/gallon, etc. etc. All of that grind takes away from your quality of life and you end up getting stuck in your bubble like everyone else.

My wife and I both have friends that are from and/or live in the KC area and every single person raves about it. We both grew up in small towns so we're looking for a lifestyle change and get back to those small town values that we grew up with. Not to mention we have 2 kids and the schools there are amazing and blow SoCal schools out of the water.

Also, I got offered an amazing position to open a new hotel in downtown KC.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:01 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,877 times
What? 3 pages in and still no KS/MO flame war?

This forum is getting soft you guys. ;-)

Old 05-09-2018, 12:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
You'll note some specific poster absences.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:29 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You'll note some specific poster absences.
True. But luzianne and I are still here. And kcmo will pop in now and then. That should be enough, right?

Old 05-09-2018, 02:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I guess, if you're invested in pissing contests.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:02 PM

296 posts, read 265,477 times
Quote:
TabulaRasa hit the nail on the head. A lot of it comes down to cost of living. I love San Diego and have been here 20 years but its a bit of a rat race to try and get ahead because its so expensive to live here. Our mortgage is $2600/month for a 1400 sq ft house and we had to buy 45min north of downtown where I worked because we couldn't afford anything in SD proper. We're seeing houses almost half the price they are here in KS and MO and they're all over 2000 sq ft. Our friends just bought a house 40min outside of San Diego in the opposite direction that's 2000 sq ft and it was over $750K+. That's ridiculous. My wife is primarily a stay home mom so to afford a house like that here on one income you have to make $160K+/year. And the crazy thing is the wages here don't match the cost of living so it ends up being a grind just to get by. Also the other high costs like taxes, gas is $4/gallon, etc. etc. All of that grind takes away from your quality of life and you end up getting stuck in your bubble like everyone else.

My wife and I both have friends that are from and/or live in the KC area and every single person raves about it. We both grew up in small towns so we're looking for a lifestyle change and get back to those small town values that we grew up with. Not to mention we have 2 kids and the schools there are amazing and blow SoCal schools out of the water.

Also, I got offered an amazing position to open a new hotel in downtown KC.
That makes more sense. The folks I know who tend to wish to return are all California natives, grew up there like myself when the state was in all it's glory.

Its funny that there are wars on the California thread, people who are die hard Calif fans insisting that the only reason people leave is that they "can't afford it". Ha! Thats funny, the three people I know right now who are leaving are making well over 450K (medical field).

Good luck with your move, maybe this year you will have the first white Christmas you have had in a long time!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:23 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Parkville or Lee's Summit. Both areas will feel quite different from each other, though. I'm sure you know what you're getting into regarding KC weather, lots of heat and humidity.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 AM

6 posts, read 18,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Parkville or Lee's Summit. Both areas will feel quite different from each other, though. I'm sure you know what you're getting into regarding KC weather, lots of heat and humidity.
I'm originally from Dallas so I'm familiar with heat and humidity. Strangely enough after living in San Diego for 20 years and sometimes having 80 degree Christmas mornings, I'm actually looking forward to finally having 4 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City