Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 03:20 AM

22 posts, read 15,105 times

Advertisements

Why would a company lie very specifically on their job post about the pay? It says that there are 3 phases to their training which will last 4 weeks. After that they will increase the pay by 3 dollars. Then 8 weeks later it will gradually increase. I went to a job interview last week and they said the pay will always remain the same when I start training and it won't increase. Then I mentioned the job post and he was on his laptop and said he couldn't find it and ended the job interview. I noticed they reposted the same exact thing 1 hour after my job interview. Then they reposted the same thing again 2 days in a row after that and it said the same thing. They are lying to people who apply making them think they will get a 3 dollar increase after a month then more after 2 months after that. But the pay remains the same when they first start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 03:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulczyk View Post
Why would a company lie very specifically on their job post...?
Because it serves them. The Q is why you remain with them.
As to the details of their assertions (and yours against them) : Get it in writing.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-28-2023 at 04:26 AM..

Old 08-28-2023, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because it serves them. The Q is why you remain with them.
As to the details of their assertions (and yours against them) : Get it in writing.
I never said I work for them. I said I went to the job interview. He pretended to not know what I was talking about and said he couldn't find the job post on his laptop. Then they reposted the same thing several times later. I obviously didn't get the job because no one told me I did. I reported their job post for inaccurate information.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Most states have no laws requiring disclosure of salary or even against false advertising in salaries. Here in our state a recent law does require that the opening wage scale or salary range of the job be in the job announcement. For the opening I'm in the process of filling now, the job announcement said that it started at $30/hr and the midpoint is $40.00. When I make the selection I can negotiate anywhere within that range or even above, though that would be very rare. We don't mention the range maximum since that would always take years to reach.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:05 AM

The other post was taken down, and now the company posted the same lies again. I reported it again. This is what happens when they lie to people. I am sure I am not the only one who has mentioned the $3 pay increased and more they advertised. Only a brainless person would not question it. I hope they take this new post down like the last one.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,277 times
There could be several reasons why a company might lie very specifically on their job post:

Increased Competition: Some companies may aim to attract top candidates by showcasing appealing benefits or high salaries in their job advertisements. However, during the interview process, they might alter the terms to create a sense of competition among applicants.

Difficulty in Hiring: Companies struggling to find suitable talent for certain positions or industries might resort to displaying attractive terms in job postings to increase the applicant pool. They might then adjust conditions during the interview process to broaden their options.

Labor Supply Needs: In cases where companies have immediate labor supply needs during specific periods, they might use high salaries or promised raises in job advertisements to secure applicants. The actual terms might differ later on.

Lack of Integrity: Some companies may prioritize attracting applicants through their job postings but might lack a strong sense of responsibility to align the advertised conditions with actual working conditions. In such cases, a discrepancy between the advertisement and the real conditions can arise.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:32 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Suggestion: take a screen shot of any salary information and bring it to your interview.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Suggestion: take a screen shot of any salary information and bring it to your interview.
I was thinking about pulling out my phone and showing him but I didn't do it because it would have been seen as condescending and disrespectful and it would have showed the company is lying on their job post. He probably would have said it was a mistake on their part or something.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:12 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Does or should it really matter anymore? You didn't get the job, move on.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:28 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulczyk View Post
The other post was taken down, and now the company posted the same lies again. I reported it again.

If you're not taking the job, why do you keep up with it? Move on. Companies do this all the time. Someone that really needs a job will take the bait and life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search