Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 09:57 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm curious if people are still dressing up in a suit and tie for an in person job interview.
My son just graduated with a degree in IT.
Curious because I'm thinking of offering to buy him some nice clothes as part of his graduation present.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 02:00 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Depends on the position and general appearance of everyone's else at that work place.
Suit and tie will always look presentable and respectable.
I am sure he will use nice outfits more than once, so it's a good investment. Don't forget about shoes and socks.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I'm thinking of offering to buy him some nice clothes as part of his graduation
All adult males should own at least one nice suit.
Gray works well for all occasions (from weddings to funerals).

As to interview attire... one notch above the day to day norm when doing the job.
What do "IT" people wear day to day?

Old 05-06-2023, 07:54 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We had a hiring manager decline a candidate with perfect credentials, interview and skip sets for no professional appearance last week.

Old 05-06-2023, 08:10 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
He needs to fit in with the culture. If he doesn't know the expected dress, confirm with the HR recruiter. If you show up in a suit to a casual office at a tech company, you may be rejected for poor culture fit.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Get the suite. Much needed attire for any adult male. In my opinion one can never overdress for an interview. Even if the company is casual, being the best dressed person in the room always makes an impression. Shows that individual is serious and cares. There is also the mental aspect. I’m a big believer in looking how you feel. When I’m sharply dressed it gives me a confidence boost. Better to be overdressed then underdressed.

Quick business suit style tips.

Fit is important. It may cost more money, but having the suit professionally tailored is ideal.
Blue and grey are the business color of choice.
Don't overlook other components, such as shoes and dress shirt. Doesn't matter how good the suite looks, if the shoes are scuffed and dirty.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:04 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
As others have indicated, contact the recruiter, HR staff, or the hiring manager for advice.

Generally speaking, IT and technology companies have a “business casual” dress code. No ties for men, with slacks/khakis, a collared shirt and a jacket. Usually, no jeans or shorts.

Of course, IT department interviews in a financial institution or a law firm, may have a different dress code and culture.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:14 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Thanks for the input! As someone mentioned, a good suit is good to have for other situations as well.
Also a good idea to check with recruiter. Times are different.

Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2023, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If possible it's a good idea to "hang around" at a place before the interview. You may be able to watch as people arrive in the morning and see how they are dressed. At my current employer, with most working from home or hybrid, the official "business casual" has gone out the window. People show up at the office in jeans and tee shirts, even jogging pants. When interviewing candidates I don't even wear a tie, just slacks and a dress shirt. That would be perfectly acceptable attire for a candidate for one of our jobs, but many employers are still more formal.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:58 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
A quality suit is essential for any wardrobe, agreed.

One suggestion I can offer is that you may want to “dress up” for the interview if you are still uncertain about the dress code (but, I’m certain you’ll have it figured out.) By “dressing up”, you can remove your tie, roll up your sleeves, remove your coat at the interview and appear more casual if the others at the interview are also casually dressed.

If you “dress down” for the interview, you will not be able to “dress up” at the interview and present yourself more formally.

Times have changed, best to follow and blend with the office culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Thanks for the input! As someone mentioned, a good suit is good to have for other situations as well.
Also a good idea to check with recruiter. Times are different.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search