Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 08:22 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

Now for the dumb question. How much construction is happening in your area of Michigan right now? He may want to consider moving to a more active location around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Indeed is showing 256 electrician jobs open in Seattle. Most seem to be Journey level, but some are trainee level. The problem is that the pay being only in the $50-60k range for those would be difficult to live on with our high housing cost.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...medium=organic

Old 03-24-2023, 09:05 AM

2,340 posts, read 611,959 times
https://www.usajobs.gov/job/711089000
https://www.usajobs.gov/job/713226300

These are two electral jobs in federal government that are open to the public - tell him to check them out.

Old 03-24-2023, 11:26 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
My son is looking for an apprenticeship job as an electrician. He went to the community college and received his Associates of Science degree for the electrician field. He had an almost perfect 4.0 GPA. He is very sharp. He also worked while going to school. He isn't getting anywhere in the state we live in (Michigan) and so he is looking out of state.

He has no real world experience as an electrician but he is applying for jobs that specifically state no experience is required. Is the job market really as good as they say it is?
It doesn't matter how good or bad the job market is.

If he wants to be an electrician, tell him to keep trying.

This ASSUMES of course your son is like 20-28ish years old and not like ... 40.

And it doesn't matter if he had a 2.2 GPA. Eventually it is very likely someone will give him a chance. There's always an employer willing to take a chance on youth.

May be out of state and it may take a few years, but that's the beauty of being young.

Of course, as I implied, if you're much older, different story.

But, basically the best chance he has is to put all of his time and effort into the search ... in other words, if he could live with you and search FT, that would increase his chances.

If he has to juggle looking for internships with working a hard FT job, and/or taking care of a wife and kids, well ... that decreases the odds.

Old 03-24-2023, 11:52 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
Electrician jobs really only pay well if you own the company or if you are Union, now getting a spot in
a apprenticship Union may be hard if you do not have a connection, like many jobs it's usually "who you know"
to get your foot in the door, he could get a job for a contractor non union as a helper to start but money will not be
good and you work in hot attics, not great working enviroments ect.

If your son is a good student as you say he should keep going as just having a 4 year degree will open doors
that if you do not have will remain closed, if you can graduate from College you should I beleive as many do
not have the academic ability to and those people go for the blue collar jobs like electricians.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:02 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
The cynic in me manages to believe the union has a lock on the really good jobs and are purposely keeping the number of qualified electricians low.
It's a personal thing with me, but I'd look where unions have no control. Easy for me to say because unions hardly exist where I live.
AC and heating is closely related to electrical work. Around here, that's where I would look.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:12 AM

377 posts, read 274,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The cynic in me manages to believe the union has a lock on the really good jobs and are purposely keeping the number of qualified electricians low.
It's a personal thing with me, but I'd look where unions have no control. Easy for me to say because unions hardly exist where I live.
AC and heating is closely related to electrical work. Around here, that's where I would look.
I was in the IBEW and no it doesn't work that way. You have NECA which is basically the contractors group who negotiates with the IBEW which is the union. It's the unions job to keep NECA happy by providing them quality electricians to choose from. If they don't, then NECA can actually use non union contractors. IBEW trains the electricians through apprenticeships. NECA contractors hire these electricians through the union.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:10 PM

63 posts, read 61,026 times
Default job

he can apply for a government job as a helper,no experience needed. goodl luck

Old 06-22-2023, 08:04 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
This was my son 5 years ago. We gave up in our home state and helped him move to another.

He will complete his apprenticeship at the end of this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search