Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

having a teenage daughter is one reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 04:59 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
Holy smokes….I was so worried about home insurance moving here that I never checked cars. I find out that since one in every three drivers in Florida has no insurance and most likely no license that the insured get to pay 2-4 times more than any other state I have lived in. Two people, perfect credit, no accidents claims ever and one speeding ticket 25 years ago. First quote comes back at 9,000 but with “discounts” just 7,700 for one year of the same coverage I was getting for just under 2,000. Second quote back at just over 6,000. Last but not least the best I could find at about 4,000 bucks a year for two people that drive less than 5,000 miles a year each. I am seriously contemplating selling a vehicles to avoid 2-300 a month.

Moral of the story, check car insurance prices before moving.
My guess is your kid's age is the factor...........and location isn't helping (Jacksonville ain't Mayberry)

Old 07-13-2023, 07:00 AM

146 posts, read 154,066 times
And….just got one of our cars hit by a driver this morning. Luckily I believe they do have insurance….Near 30 years of accident free down the drain…even if not our fault. Nothing like the accident showing up on a brand new vehicle to devalue it significantly.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:24 AM

146 posts, read 154,066 times
I plan to trade it off as soon as I get my check for it from the owners insurance.

Most companies will not immediately raise your rate but will increase it at renewal because even if you’re not at fault it suggests you live in a high risk area. You get punished for someone running into you.

Old 10-07-2023, 06:31 AM

21 posts, read 30,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I switched from USAA to State Farm a few months back and saved a TON. Happy to refer you to my agent, Rinkit Amin
https://www.rinkitamin.com/
We left USAA too. Had been with them since 1987. Now we are patiently waiting for our subscribers savings account.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:32 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
I plan to trade it off as soon as I get my check for it from the owners insurance.

Most companies will not immediately raise your rate but will increase it at renewal because even if you’re not at fault it suggests you live in a high risk area. You get punished for someone running into you.
We have had State Farm insurance for our 3 cars for many years, have gotten good service as needed. The rates fell when we moved from Miami to SW FL but the rates have increased exponentially with the increase in population and nutso drivers over the years.

My daughter ( age 39) drives one of the cars ( a 2017 Honda Civic) to work each day ( about 30 miles each way), and the insurance is the most expensive on that car. She's got good driver, accident free discounts, but it's the exposure to the throngs of careless drivers on I-75 and elsewhere that raise those insurance rates- also raises the rates on our other two vehicles that don't get driven nearly as much.

Unless things have changed, State Farm has always had a policy of NOT raising its insurance rates due to an accident for which the insured driver was not responsible, though if the insured driver was at fault ( according to the accident report, ticketed for moving violations causing the accident, they apply a penalty surcharge to each premium fora total of 3 years after the accident. After the 3 years, the penalty is removed. My daughter was involved in a multicar accident on I-75 near Tampa in 2011, but was not at fault. So even though her car was totaled, the insurance rates were not raised.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:41 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Mine went up 300 every 6 months.

Old 10-07-2023, 01:47 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Quote:
Nothing like the accident showing up on a brand new vehicle to devalue it significantly.
If you are told your car is seriously de-valued by the accident, then have your insurance re-evaluated because, in their own words, you are buying insurance for a much lower-valued car. In Florida, there is a Diminished Value Law which might help offset your losses.

https://www.anidjarlevine.com/faqs/d...claim-florida/

Old 10-08-2023, 11:31 AM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Another reason not to move to Florida. Expensive insurance, hurricanes stay in low tax, crime free NYS.

Old 10-08-2023, 01:37 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
My Dad left there in 2006 after one of those 'canes destroyed his home and two cars which were also insured by SF. Took them five months to settle - after dodging the issue for two of those months. Moved to GA - same insurance 60% less on both home and new cars. Dropped further with Geico and Progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville