Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:50 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,719 times

Advertisements

Ahhh...how refreshing it is to see so much more of my wonderful hometown than just photos of the skyline. I MISS YOU FLORIDA!

(Before anyone asks, I moved away from Jacksonville right after my 3rd birthday in '95.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
The name of the neighborhood in roughly the first 2/3 of the photos is Avondale and in the last 1/3 is Riverside. Together, they make up the largest historic district in the state of FL and one of the largest in the South. They are located across the Ortega/St. Johns River from Ortega, and are also havens for old money or people looking for nice urban environments.

Some history on Riverside and Avondale:

After the Revolutionary War, the Spanish government, which owned all the land currently occupied by the Florida Peninsula, wanted to attract inhabitants to present day Jacksonville (St. Augustine was already very well inhabited, and is 30 miles south). They broke the land on the west side of the river into 2 tracts, and one went to Phillip Dell, the other to Robert Hutcheson. After trading hands and being broken down further, the bottom 500 acres were purchased by an agent for Boston millionaire John Murray Forbes, who named it Riverside. There were plantations on the land all throughout the area.

The area remained rural until 1887, when a streetcar was built to the area from downtown and a surge of residents followed. Following the Great Fire of 1901 (one of the largest in US history), many prominent residents started anew and built mansions along present day Riverside Avenue, and the stretch became known as “The Row” because of all the mansions. Deeper away from the river, middle class families built bungalows and 2 story houses, almost all of which exist today and make the area very charming.

The Fire brought down so many famous architects from New York who ended up living here, and on the residential side Riverside became a national experiment for architects and developers, and still has the largest variety of architectural styles in FL.

Avondale, further south, was developed by Telfair Stockton as a wealthy street car suburb. Sidewalks, sewage, city water, gas, electricity, and phone lines were installed in a grid pattern before lots were even sold. 16 parks were designed and laid out by OH landscape architect William Pitkin, and homes were constructed to high standards and uniform tastes (kind of similar to gated communities today). Most of the homes are 2 story Mediterranean Revival inland, and a mix on the water.

There are 3 commercial strips in Avondale, and one of them is quite upscale with great restaurants…recently featured in Southern Living magazine. Riverside has 5 points, and is a very walkable neighborhood by Sunbelt city standards.

On to photos, and some will have their own captions.

This is a redevelopment site. As soon as the economy picks back up, this site will be completely redone. There were significant plans that almost went through before 2008. If nobody does anything with the site, I certainly will find a way with my empty pockets to do something with it. Few sites in the South have as much potential as this.

Fairfax Manor separates Avondale from Ortega via the Ortega Bridge. The best place for the public to take pictures of the skyline and water scenes is Baker Park next to the NW end of the Ortega Bridge.

House and river guest house, built just after 1900. The owner has quite a car collection, too, of old Aston Martins and Rolls Royces (and Jags, loves British cars and boats).

Old William Stockton residence built in 1915.

Residence built for Edward Lane in 1927 and designed by Marsh & Saxelbye. Edward Lane founded Atlantic National Bank and his wife demanded a home like the one that they stayed in England. This house is purely Avondale.

Less than 2 decades old.

Also relatively new.

Home built in 1925 and designed by Marsh & Saxelbye.

A member of the family that runs the large REIT Regency Centers lives in the house on the left (an old house that has been added onto by architect Richard Skinner). Another family home can be seen in the first thread about Ortega.

This looks very much like stereotypical Florida to me, but I like it, a lot.

A major hedge fund manager lives here. I have definitely partied a fair amount here hehe.

1922 home.

New home on left and old home on right.

Former executive of Charter. Still owns some refineries in the Bahamas.

This definitely epitomizes the neighborhood, I think.

1922 home

Looking north towards Riverside and Downtown. It was very windy/choppy when I took these pictures.

This and the house next door were built in 1913. There was a well publicized feud between the two neighbors (Simms and McDuff) and one of them built a 15 ft. wall between the two houses. The house that is photographed has some of the best gardens/landscaping I have ever seen, and you cannot even see it from the road; you have to drift by in a boat.

Average age: 75+

This looks like French country to me, and the canal that goes back there is beautiful. I have to get some pictures of the neighborhood from street level soon.

1924 home built as part of Willow Branch Terrace.

Note the modern interpretation of the prairie school of architecture in the building at left. Jacksonville has the largest collection of Prairie Style architecture outside of the major cities in the Midwest, and to this day people still design buildings with interpretations of Prairie Style.

St. Vincent’s Hospital. It marks the divide between Riverside and Avondale, and this area is very walkable with bars, restaurants, and shops, as well as the only church designed by famed Palm Beach architect Addison Mizner.

VillaRiva condos. Pretty pricey.

1928 Jacobethan Revival home built for Leo Cheek, the original head of Maxwell Coffee House.

Riverside peeking above the tree line.

Riverside is a little denser than Avondale.

Notice the 1924 house at left, designed by a lady (which was odd for back in the day, but she also designed Jacksonville’s grand Federal Reserve Building, which is unoccupied today).

Park Lane Apartments, constructed in 1926 at the height of the FL Land Boom/Building Boom. Original “co-op” units went for $12,000 and up! Heh, and this building is the forerunner to FL’s high rise condo craze.

Memorial Park. In the 1890s, a $500,000 hotel was planned for the site (that’s like a 750 room hotel in today’s dollar equivalency). The land was bought by the city in 1919, and a local heiress and gardener, Mrs. Arthur Cummer, commissioned the Olmsted Brothers (sons of Frederick Law Olmsted…i.e. Central Park, Buffalo, etc) to design the park and make it serve as a memorial to those fallen in WWI. The park reflects the 19th century romantic style with a large open space bordered by an oval promenade with shaded seating areas around the periphery. The bronze statue visible in the foreground depicts the “winged figure of youth rising above the mad maelstrom of earthly passions.” It was sculpted by C. Adrian Pillars, a well known Florida sculptor. The park was ravaged by a tornado in 1997 that coincidentally hit my house as well, 4 miles away, and tore glass/roofing off of my dad’s office building near downtown. Most of the centuries old oaks were uprooted.

Late 1800s or early 1900s house. Not on the riverfront, but in the area there are a good number of homes dating from between 1850 and 1900.

The Woman’s Club of Jacksonville, recently purchased by the Cummer Museum for event space. Built in 1927, it is currently under renovation.

Cummer Museum and Gardens, the latter of which date back to 1910. Ninah Cummer was a philanthropist, horticulturist, and art collector. The current museum is one of the top art galleries in the south and features rooms of the old Cummer mansion, their collections, and their gardens, which form the “backyard.” The museum has the largest collection of Meissen Porcelain in the world, I believe (maybe 2nd largest).

This is where I-95 passes over the river. Underneath is the weekly Riverside Arts Market. Currently expanding all the way to Riverside Park and adding a dock so that the River Taxi can make a stop there. It is a highly successful art/farmers market, and Riverside and Jacksonville as a whole is a very artsy area. There is talk to extend the riverwalk from the Art Market past the Cummer to Memorial Park. Currently the Northbank Riverwalk starts on the opposite end of downtown and treks 2 miles south to the Art Market.

This stretch of Riverside Avenue extending into downtown is what business leaders hope will become our version of Brickell Avenue. It better be because the city bulldozed the entire neighborhood so it could widen the street and put in tropical landscaping. Companies headquartered here include Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, Fidelity Information Services, Fidelity National Financial, the Dupont Trust (set up by the Dupont family which wintered in Jacksonville and ended up living here), Everbank (the largest bank in FL and just received naming rights to the Jaguars Stadium), St. Joe (the largest landowner in FL…just relocated to the Panhandle where they own large tracts of undeveloped land), Haskell Company, and the Florida Times Union. There are currently more offices and some condos that are about to go up.

Let me know what you guys think!
Thank you!
I grew up in Riverside/Avondale , lived on Aberdeen Ave. When I get homesick, all of these pictures make me feel a little better.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Here's some of my favorite photos of the Roads of Western Duval County I have to drive over to get Home.

Tracks I have to cross;

Bridge I have to cross;

Light at the end of the tunnel

Finally I'm home

Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Pictures of Old Ortega;

Grand Avenue DrawBridge up, on the Ortega River

and why its up

Ortega Village

Old 07-23-2011, 12:35 PM

A couple more Pictures taken this AM while my wife was in Belks at Roosevelt Mall shopping. I don't shop so I figured it was a good time to run down to Baker Park and snap a few pics. There are two (2) parks at the foot of the Old Ortega Bridge one on each side of Grand Avenue. On the north side is Baker Park and on the southern side is Stinson Park, which has parking for cars and a playground for children. Both are waterfront parks. Grand Avenue turns into San Juan Avenue (County Rd 211)as it heads west towards Roosevelt Blvd (US17)

Downtown from Baker Park at the Western end of the Old Ortega Bridge

The Old Ortega Bridge, Grand Avenue

Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 13,829 times
At least you have something positive to say for the area...very nice pictures...we are considering moving to the area. I am looking for a 4 or more bedroom at least two bathrooms house around 70,000 without living next to the ghetto...is this do-able?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:48 AM

Old Plantation House on Ortega Point, currently undergoing some much needed renovation

Old 07-29-2011, 01:50 AM

Memorial Park in Riverside

Old 07-29-2011, 01:52 AM

Looking North on Park Street in 5 Points

Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 AM

The old Murry Hill Theater on Edgewood Ave in Murry Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville