Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 05:05 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

I'll be having surgery under anesthesia soon. I'd like to fill out a Medical Power of Attorney & designate my brother as my agent. He lives in FL.

My bank, Veridian, will not notarize medical docs & told me to have my lawyer do it. I don't have a lawyer.

I don't know if PofA's differ state to state, which is why I'm posting this here.

I'd imagine a lawyer will charge upwards of $100, no? Is there anywhere in the Des Moines area I could have this doc notarized for free or would it have to be via lawyer? And, if my only route is via lawyer, do I need a specific type of lawyer or can any lawyer notarize this for me?

Also, the doc asks for my current address. I'll be moving soon, but it will be after surgery... I'd like to have the PofA prior to surgery. Is it null & void if the addresses don't match so that I'll need to pay a lawyer again for another notarized doc or can I just attach an addendum with my updated address?

Lastly, my brother is my next of kin & is listed so with doctors & the hospital. Isn't that enough, should I have any issues under anesthesia? Wouldn't they call him anyway to ask what to do should I be incapacitated & don't have this doc?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 05:57 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Each state has different requirements. We had our wills notarized at the local UPS Store. Notary's are available in places you wouldn't consider. I believe AAA offers notary services, if you are a member. Check with the hospital you will be at. They should have a social worker that can help you figure this out.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Each state has different requirements. We had our wills notarized at the local UPS Store. Notary's are available in places you wouldn't consider. I believe AAA offers notary services, if you are a member. Check with the hospital you will be at. They should have a social worker that can help you figure this out.
Are you in IA? I assumed states differ.

I do have AAA & have a UPS store down the road, but if the bank (who actually knows me) can't notarize medical docs, then I'm assuming UPS & AAA can't either. I'll give them a call on Mon. TY.

Last edited by A.Typical.Girl; 05-06-2023 at 06:53 PM..

Old 05-06-2023, 09:25 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Possible sources of notaries: banks, car dealerships, title companies, and real estate agents, to name a few. If your subdivision/city has a FB page, try posting on it. Maybe a neighbor is one.

A notary is only stating that the person signing the document is truly who he/she says they are (established by ID you present or their personal acquaintance with you). They aren’t making statement about the validity or correctness of the document.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:36 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Possible sources of notaries: banks, car dealerships, title companies, and real estate agents, to name a few. If your subdivision/city has a FB page, try posting on it. Maybe a neighbor is one.

A notary is only stating that the person signing the document is truly who he/she says they are (established by ID you present or their personal acquaintance with you). They aren’t making statement about the validity or correctness of the document.
Another possible notary is your accountant. When I need something notarized I just have the notary in my accountant's office do it for free.

Old 05-07-2023, 11:43 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Are you in IA? I assumed states differ.

I do have AAA & have a UPS store down the road, but if the bank (who actually knows me) can't notarize medical docs, then I'm assuming UPS & AAA can't either. I'll give them a call on Mon. TY.
No, I am not in IA any longer. Just offering ideas on where to find notary. My daughter is a notary but she cannot notarize family's documents.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:28 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I'll be having surgery under anesthesia soon. I'd like to fill out a Medical Power of Attorney & designate my brother as my agent. He lives in FL.

My bank, Veridian, will not notarize medical docs & told me to have my lawyer do it. I don't have a lawyer.

I don't know if PofA's differ state to state, which is why I'm posting this here.

I'd imagine a lawyer will charge upwards of $100, no? Is there anywhere in the Des Moines area I could have this doc notarized for free or would it have to be via lawyer? And, if my only route is via lawyer, do I need a specific type of lawyer or can any lawyer notarize this for me?

Also, the doc asks for my current address. I'll be moving soon, but it will be after surgery... I'd like to have the PofA prior to surgery. Is it null & void if the addresses don't match so that I'll need to pay a lawyer again for another notarized doc or can I just attach an addendum with my updated address?

Lastly, my brother is my next of kin & is listed so with doctors & the hospital. Isn't that enough, should I have any issues under anesthesia? Wouldn't they call him anyway to ask what to do should I be incapacitated & don't have this doc?

Thank you!
Banks are private businesses and have the discretion to decide whether they'll notarize POAs. They may choose NOT to notarize instruments of their account holders because of concerns over potential conflict of interest.

Its been some years since I needed a legal instrument notarized, but the fee was quite modest: something like $25. Check with a main branch library. They may have someone on staff who serves as a public notary. An easy call to make. Many CPAs are notaries. Also check the local business phone directory for mobile notaries. You could set up a family meeting to discuss this very important document and have the notary come to you.

As already stated, all a notarization really does is verify the identity and signature of the persons signing the POA at the point in time it was signed. Would your move be within the same state or not? That may matter, but as already stated state laws differ. Some may permit a new address change as a notation on the original signed document, others may want a whole new POA written and notarized. The notary may be able to provide more information about how to update a POA in your state. If you know where you'll be living after a certain date I'd include it as a notation when everything's signed.

Won't you be providing a change of address to your health insurance company? It will take weeks for some of your surgery-related bills to work their way through the hospital's system after your surgery.

Just having your brother listed as "next of kin" with a hospital does not necessarily grant him authority to make medical decisions on your behalf. All it may do is make him a point of contact for your family if they need to be notified about something. You need to clarify what he actually signed with the hospital as this is extremely important. Most if not all hospitals these days can provide you a blank medical directive form recognized by your state of residence. It may not include verbiage you might want it to.

If all you really want out of a durable POA is the medical aspects, this may be an option to consider:

https://www.fivewishes.org/

There's a lot of helpful information on what advance medical directives actually do and don't do, plus tools to help you create what you want and need. Be aware that even though you can download files for reading from this organization your hospital/doctor may require an original hard copy of their document. Again, the fee is very modest. You can add some customized verbiage to their standard form. The Five Wishes format is recognized by most if not all states.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-07-2023 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Then why won't my bank or the hospital do it? Odd...

Old 05-08-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Another possible notary is your accountant. When I need something notarized I just have the notary in my accountant's office do it for free.
I don't have an accountant or a lawyer.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Banks are private businesses and have the discretion to decide whether they'll notarize POAs. They may choose NOT to notarize instruments of their account holders because of concerns over potential conflict of interest.
No, as I mentioned, they notarize, just not medical docs. This hospital doesn't notarize docs... unsure if others do. I asked them where to go & they said call your lawyer. I said I have none. She shrugged.

Someone above mentioned UPS. Coincidentally, I have to go to the UPS store tomorrow, so I'll ask.

Quote:
Would your move be within the same state or not?
Same complex, different apt. I'll call AAA tomorrow. If they say no, I'll call the hospital & see if I can reach someone to give me some guidance, although if they don't deal with legal docs, then perhaps they won't know. Everyone I"ve asked tells me to call my lawyer. I don't know which people just have lawyers or accountants, but I've never known any, lol. I'm a working class girl & own nothing... I file my own 1-pg EZ tax form. This is all new nonsense to me.

I doubt it, but perhaps my property mngr is a notary. I can ask him.

Last resort, I can call the local library. Maybe they'd know where I can go. The issue doesn't seem to be notarizing per se, but notarizing medical docs.

I'll be offline for awhile due to health... I'll report back once I have it done. TY, all.

Fun, fun, fun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: