Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 02:26 PM

147 posts, read 77,546 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer to resort to scripture for answers to such issues. We all know how it would go. But today's liberal bent has gone far from the word of our creator. One good reason we're all suffering for it. Much like going away from a competent instruction manual. Oh well. That's where this world is going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 07:11 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 28 days ago)

8,479 posts, read 5,617,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
I'd prefer to resort to scripture for answers to such issues. We all know how it would go. But today's liberal bent has gone far from the word of our creator. One good reason we're all suffering for it. Much like going away from a competent instruction manual. Oh well. That's where this world is going.
I think its fine to teach your kids the Bible at home if those are the values you want them to have, but teaching from the Bible has no place in public schools whatsoever.

Old 05-13-2024, 12:14 PM

147 posts, read 77,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think its fine to teach your kids the Bible at home if those are the values you want them to have, but teaching from the Bible has no place in public schools whatsoever.
You might think so. So the nice alternative has been the last 30 years of indoctrination of Marxism in our colleges. It's all coming to roost with the recent support of the areas run by Hamas and Hezbollah terrorists under the guise of being just Arabs. Sadly the education system in this country has been seriously infected/distorted over decades and now we'll reap the results. Stuff will hit the fan soon enough and there will remain no foundation in this country worth talking about.

Old 05-13-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
You might think so. So the nice alternative has been the last 30 years of indoctrination of Marxism in our colleges. It's all coming to roost with the recent support of the areas run by Hamas and Hezbollah terrorists under the guise of being just Arabs. Sadly the education system in this country has been seriously infected/distorted over decades and now we'll reap the results. Stuff will hit the fan soon enough and there will remain no foundation in this country worth talking about.
I mean, some of the most tranquil, well run countries on earth are also some of the least religious (Norway, Netherlands, Iceland, etc.). Some of the most violent countries on earth are the most religious. Its not about that. There is no correlation to prosperity and how religious a country is.

I've read the Bible from cover to cover and I personally cannot fathom why anyone would want a society that embraces an inerrant view of it. I would be more than happy to list all of the things I find objectionable about the Bible (and Quran), but I really don't want to go down that road other than to say I do find it objectionable.

If you want to teach your kids that its the one and only source of knowledge, you go for it. Leave my kid out of it. There is a giant middle ground between "Marxism" and "Religious Fundamentalism". Its not one or the other.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:52 PM

145 posts, read 131,128 times
Quote:
I mean, some of the most tranquil, well run countries on earth are also some of the least religious (Norway, Netherlands, Iceland, etc.). Some of the most violent countries on earth are the most religious. Its not about that. There is no correlation to prosperity and how religious a country is.

I've read the Bible from cover to cover and I personally cannot fathom why anyone would want a society that embraces an inerrant view of it. I would be more than happy to list all of the things I find objectionable about the Bible (and Quran), but I really don't want to go down that road other than to say I do find it objectionable.

If you want to teach your kids that its the one and only source of knowledge, you go for it. Leave my kid out of it. There is a giant middle ground between "Marxism" and "Religious Fundamentalism". Its not one or the other.
Quote:
The majority of people in Norway — around 68% — are Christian and belong to the Evangelical Lutheran Church. There are several religious minority groups in Norway as well. Interestingly, research has demonstrated that Norway has a large non-religious population estimated at approximately 25% of Norwegians.Jan 28, 2023
My kids go to a church school in California as I don’t have the time to homeschool them. I would never, never send them to a public school here

It’s not that we are an overly religious family but it’s a great school. 0 bullying, top grades, years ahead of other public school in the essential subjects

It’s not for everybody and that’s fine if you don’t want that for your kids but given the choice for us it was a no brainer. The kids are polite, are taught manners and respect. A big difference compared to other schools

Old 05-13-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
My kids go to a church school in California as I don’t have the time to homeschool them. I would never, never send them to a public school here

It’s not that we are an overly religious family but it’s a great school. 0 bullying, top grades, years ahead of other public school in the essential subjects

It’s not for everybody and that’s fine if you don’t want that for your kids but given the choice for us it was a no brainer. The kids are polite, are taught manners and respect. A big difference compared to other schools
Great. That's good for you. I don't want my kid indoctrinated with someone else's religion. You can feel comfortable sending your kids to a church school largely because that is your religion as well and they won't teach your kids something different. I get that some non-Catholics go to Catholic school but otherwise, going to school at a church means you believe in the same thing.

Yes, the Church of Norway has 5 million people registered to it but how many actually attend or believe? By Norwegian law, all children who have one parent who was a member are automatically registered. Therefore the number is largely BS. Polling puts Norway at around 62% atheist.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:38 PM

145 posts, read 131,128 times
Quote:
Great. That's good for you. I don't want my kid indoctrinated with someone else's religion. You can feel comfortable sending your kids to a church school largely because that is your religion as well and they won't teach your kids something different. I get that some non-Catholics go to Catholic school but otherwise, going to school at a church means you believe in the same thing.

Yes, the Church of Norway has 5 million people registered to it but how many actually attend or believe? By Norwegian law, all children who have one parent who was a member are automatically registered. Therefore the number is largely BS. Polling puts Norway at around 62% atheist.
But I can’t send my kids to a public school in California. All I can do is either homeschool or private (both are expensive as one parent has to give up their job)

We are not overly religious but the kids love it and they quality of the education is awesome

Old 05-14-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
But I can’t send my kids to a public school in California. All I can do is either homeschool or private (both are expensive as one parent has to give up their job)

We are not overly religious but the kids love it and they quality of the education is awesome
What Im responding to is the notion that religion needs to be placed back in school. I am not anti-religious schools for those that want their kids to have that kind of education. I do send my daughter to public school and I want religion kept out for the same reason others don't take their kids to Drag Story hour: I don't want to have to explain what that is and why its wrong to a 5 year old. For the record, I also wouldnt take my kid to Drag Story hour, Im just using it as an example.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:39 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,427,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And I do pity trans women, because the vast majority of biological heterosexual men aren't going to have interest in dating, let alone marrying them. In fact, most will be physically repulsed by them. And that's just the way men are wired. Women are the compassionate ones, and it's why women are naturally the primary caregivers.

You are so right about this. A few men have told me this, too--they would never be able to date a trans woman, knowing she had once been male. That's just the way (most) men are and they aren't going to change. I will admit that I, as a woman, would not want to date a trans man. (But I don't have to worry about that since I'm 88 and long past having any interest in dating, anyway.)

As far as the original question--a trans teacher being accepted in IA--there would probably be less rejection in a large school district in Des Moines than in the more rural areas--but I'm just guessing about that.

Old 05-25-2024, 09:18 PM

309 posts, read 159,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
You are so right about this. A few men have told me this, too--they would never be able to date a trans woman, knowing she had once been male. That's just the way (most) men are and they aren't going to change.

What do you mean by "had once been"?

I think you meant to say that most real men would never date a transgender because no matter how you "slice it", that other guy is still a man, has subtle underlying features of a man, smells like a man, and genetically is very much still a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa