Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 07:55 AM

9,502 posts, read 8,497,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've not noticed this one. I am looking for a new ETF - this might be a consideration.
Anyone else have thoughts on SCHD?
I have owned SCHD for many years and continue to contribute through my IRA. It has been one of the best performing ETFs in my portfolio (I own several - large cap, large cap value, mid cap, small cap intl equity, an A.I. ETF, etc) so it should remain a staple in my portfolio until I kick the bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 09:39 AM

37,777 posts, read 46,273,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I have owned SCHD for many years and continue to contribute through my IRA. It has been one of the best performing ETFs in my portfolio (I own several - large cap, large cap value, mid cap, small cap intl equity, an A.I. ETF, etc) so it should remain a staple in my portfolio until I kick the bucket.
Thanks!!

Old 05-11-2024, 11:57 AM

641 posts, read 301,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Sure, but now it's an enormous company. It's probably an okay hold, but the growth will be less going forward.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristin...h=30641c0bc0d0

Ok but the same can be said for almost every big-cap tech stock. That includes Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc. How does that make AMZN a short-term investment? And what did the OP mean by short-term? Short term for me means less than 12 months. Everyone has their own definition and time horizon.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:47 AM

6,821 posts, read 5,129,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAdvice4U View Post
Ok but the same can be said for almost every big-cap tech stock.
Not only tech stocks. It ultimately comes down to numbers. If the economy is growing at 3% and one’s favorite companies are growing at 20%… well, hopefully it’s obvious the 20% cannot continue forever.

Today the ten biggest companies (by market cap) make up about 1/3 of the S&P 500. Could that ratio grow to 1/2? I suppose. How about 3/4? That seems unlikely to me. 100% is obviously the hard stop.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:36 AM

30,914 posts, read 37,098,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i agree .. op does not have the knowledge yet for individual stocks apparently

you know anyone asking what to buy does not have the skill set yet to dabble with individual stocks
^^I second the above.

Oh, and what MightyQueen said about advise/advice. I find that almost everyone means to write "advice" with a "c". So if you're not sure, use "advice". You'll be correct 90% of the time.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:49 AM

88,889 posts, read 85,398,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
^^I second the above.

Oh, and what MightyQueen said about advise/advice. I find that almost everyone means to write "advice" with a "c". So if you're not sure, use "advice". You'll be correct 90% of the time.
On to "lose" and "loose"....

Old 05-13-2024, 10:34 AM

772 posts, read 332,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
Hello respected members,

I have a sum of $20,000 to $30,000 earmarked for investment in stocks and currently have accounts with both Fidelity and Ameritrade. My investment strategy involves a mix of short-term and long-term holdings. Could anyone offer insights or recommendations on promising stocks? I've been considering the following:

Short-term stocks:
TSLA (Tesla)
AMZN (Amazon)

Long-term stocks:
Microsoft (MSFT)

Any guidance or suggestions on these stocks or others would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I am sure it has already been mentioned but you probably do NOT want individual stocks. Too much risk, particularly as you are restricting yourself to one sector (high tech). Look at index funds.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:42 AM

17,736 posts, read 29,980,643 times
S&P500 index fund
Just keep adding to it on a regular basis

Old 05-13-2024, 10:59 AM

641 posts, read 301,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Not only tech stocks. It ultimately comes down to numbers. If the economy is growing at 3% and one’s favorite companies are growing at 20%… well, hopefully it’s obvious the 20% cannot continue forever.

Today the ten biggest companies (by market cap) make up about 1/3 of the S&P 500. Could that ratio grow to 1/2? I suppose. How about 3/4? That seems unlikely to me. 100% is obviously the hard stop.

I still don't understand how that makes AMZN a short-term investment. A short-term investment is one you expect to out-perform temporarily, then under-perform longer-term. I see no evidence that is the case with AMZN, anymore so than other big tech companies. Even if 20% growth slows to 15% or 10% annually, that is still terrific growth and the stock can continue to be a great investment. The scenario you describe is that of the "mature company" where it continues to grow steadily into the future, but at lower rates than the past due to market over-saturation. That case has been made against Apple, since they've penetrated every possible market on the globe and everyone who wants an I-phone basically already owns one, so they are relying on replacements of existing phones rather than expansion into new countries/territories. AMZN is less single-product reliant, and is diversified into many industries. I feel they are well positioned to grow long into the future.

Old 05-13-2024, 02:26 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,098,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
On to "lose" and "loose"....
LOL, same with that. Almost everyone almost always means "lose" with one "o", not "loose" with 2 "o's".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing