Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2021, 12:27 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
So do you have a stock you are buying or selling or just like to babble?
I already mentioned Conoco Phillips. Otherwise my objective is to post lengthy screeds, mainly to elicit puerile insults such as yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 12:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Ok, thank you for those 3 replies re nvda. I guess I will start small with just 1 share for now, will keep my eye on it, and gradually add to that position over years as the stock hopefully grows.
NVDA has one of the best fundamentals with a bright future that demands more chips.

The only thing I don't like about NVDA is its current price.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:35 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
REITs that should benefit from inflation. Long term health care REIT's with high dividends to capitalize on baby boomers. Free standing commercial REITs that's stock got hit by covid but their actual stores will do just fine "O" for example holds real estate they rent to places like Wallgreens, 7/11, walmart, autozone.. those types of stores aren't going anywhere and even if inflation gets back the price will only go up and the dividend will keep paying 7%.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:41 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
For me, long-term investment means at least 10 years, and more like 20+ years: companies to own for a generation or more.

My largest holdings by far are total market index funds. I own multiple funds - probably a mistake - but the multiple total market index funds represent different manufacturers of total market indexes (indices?). For academic purity, I prefer funds that track the indexes manufactured by CRSP - the Center for Research into Securities Prices at the University of Chicago http://www.crsp.org/ , but you can't avoid funds that track indexes manufactured by S&P, FTSE Russell, and others. I also like funds that track the Fama-French 5 Factor Model, and of course QQQ.

My largest non-fund holdings are the equities of companies for which I worked and are a result of my equity-based compensation plans. Given their exceptionally low basis (much of it has a basis of less than a penny), I mostly use them for charitable gifts. Any left when I die goes to my heirs.

After that, my long-term holdings include GOOG & GOOGL (since IPO), AMZN (over 15 years), COST (since IPO), INTU (since IPO), NVDA (since IPO) INTC (40 years), AAPL (30 years), ADBE (since IPO), V (since IPO), MA (since IPO), MSFT (30 years), NFLX (since IPO) UNH (30 years), LOW (25 years), FB (since IPO - I consider this a long term hold even though it only went public in 2012 and hence isn't yet a 10 year holding).

I have smaller but in sum meaningful long term positions in ABT, BD, DLTR, DG, LMT, ROST, MTN, RMD, TJX, TRV, & UL. I also own BRK.B because it acquired a company that I owned.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 05-24-2021 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-24-2021, 12:47 PM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
REITs that should benefit from inflation. Long term health care REIT's with high dividends to capitalize on baby boomers. Free standing commercial REITs that's stock got hit by covid but their actual stores will do just fine "O" for example holds real estate they rent to places like Wallgreens, 7/11, walmart, autozone.. those types of stores aren't going anywhere and even if inflation gets back the price will only go up and the dividend will keep paying 7%.
Many reits run on borrowed money so rising rates can hurt them . Rising rates can be kryptonite to many reits .

Ytd with all dividends O is up a mere 8.60%.. a simple s&p fund is up 12%

Old 05-24-2021, 01:03 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This is a common misconception (prejudice?). Likewise about hiring a CPA to do one's taxes (I still fill mine out alone, in ink, on paper forms) or a mechanic to work on one's car (though owing to lack of space, I'm starting to do that).
That is all irrelevant here, really. I understand about the tax burden, as I stated. Let's stick to the topic if we can.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:03 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I'm ostensibly a GARP investor. I made my first stock purchase, Sun Microsystems, in 1989. I honestly had no idea what I was doing at that time. I was happy to make a profit (as I recall it was 10%-20%) in a few months and sold it. A few years later I decided to go on a campaign of educating myself, and then starting buying with something of a strategy in 1994. Over the years I've become more patient in both buying and selling, and have come to appreciate the Charlie Munger adage that it's better to buy a good company at a fair price than a fair company at a good price.

Most of my purchases are made with a long holding period (at least several years) in mind. Large caps I own almost entirely as individual holdings, with smaller companies held in mutual funds. At the beginning of this year I bought two Fidelity funds in my 401k, Low-Priced Stock and Small Cap Value. This year in the stock account I've added Lam Research and AbbVie. The only international exposure I have is whatever is in those two Fidelity funds.

Most things on the current watch list are too expensive, which is not uncommon. Some stocks I would buy in the future given the right price include Costco and CarMax. I have Applied Materials on the list as well, but unlikely to add it since I'm overweight in semiconductors as it is, and I already own the other big player (mentioned above) in that space.

The real conundrum is what to do with the bond side. I had envisioned being at something like a 60/40 (stock/bond) allocation going into retirement, but I believe there's a high probability that real returns from bonds will be negative for some time going forward. In late February I put some of that money into a basket of utility stocks, as they had dropped to a point where I felt they should give worthwhile total returns, say high single-digits. Now I'm at more like 75/25 and will not go any higher in stocks than that, as I'm just a few years from retiring.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:04 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
How do people feel about nvda at the moment? I've been sporadically checking it for the last year waiting for the opportunity to swoop if it dipped, but it hasn't much. This would be a long term buy but only a few shares, as I already have a huge amount of tech exposure.
I have considered them, but so far that is all I have done.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I had my Fidelity advisor review my entire portfolio recently and he said I was in good shape so I don’t worry about it too much.
That sounds like success!

Old 05-24-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I agree, 1 year is not long term in my book either, but it is to some folks.
Anyone who considers 1 year to be long-term is either kidding themselves or has terminal cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing