Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 04:17 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
More annoying to me are some of the news sites that if you start one of their videos, but then switch to another screen (for example during the ads), their video feed freezes till you go back to watch their ad.

I noticed that. A good time to go into the kitchen for another cuppa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 05:20 PM

1,112 posts, read 606,309 times
As a business person I understand the need for ads. Otherwise most sites would be nonexistent.

HOWEVER... ask yourself why adblockers have become so popular.

It's because ads have become much more intrusive, loud and in your face. Way back when ad blockers were never needed. I click on any site and all the ads were on the side and not blaring and slowing down the page load etc.

How many times have you clicked on a page and it just sits there loading or glitches a bit. A lot of times it's waiting for the ad to load, etc.

Stop having such annoying ads and ppl will not even consider getting adblockers.

Old 11-20-2023, 11:10 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I've started seeing it:
Install "Ad Blockers are not allowed on Youtube bypass". It blocks that popup, so you can continue to watch videos with your Ad Blocker on. It does block all popups on YouTube. Which can cause some functionality issues on the site. But that is a small price to pay for watching YouTube no ads.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:05 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
As a business person I understand the need for ads. Otherwise most sites would be nonexistent.

It's because ads have become much more intrusive, loud and in your face. Way back when ad blockers were never needed. I click on any site and all the ads were on the side and not blaring and slowing down the page load etc.

How many times have you clicked on a page and it just sits there loading or glitches a bit. A lot of times it's waiting for the ad to load, etc.

Stop having such annoying ads and ppl will not even consider getting adblockers.
You get this. I get this. Why don’t the sites that uses these ads get it?

Old 11-29-2023, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You get this. I get this. Why don’t the sites that uses these ads get it?
One word, "greed". They know what they are doing. They don't care if you like it or not, they are going to throw every possible type of ad at you, they can.

Old 11-29-2023, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I actually applaud YouTube for this. These ad blocker greatly negatively affects their business model. Dont want ads? Go YouTube Premium. I've done it and absolutely LOVE it. Ad blockers are basically "cheat codes" and should be banned.
I admit that I'm a YouTube addict. YouTube already takes up so much of my time, that I don't have any more time to watch YouTube ads. If YouTube actually banned ad blockers or forced ads on me I would get a Premium account.

But as I recently discussed on another thread here, Google recently locked up my account 2 weeks ago when I swapped out my wifi router. Apparently Google considers me changing out my router to be a major security risk. Before I swapped the router, my account was fine. Afterwords I haven't been able to log in since.

This is the first time in 17 years, that I don't had an active YouTube account. Even if I wanted to get YouTube Premium, how would I do that when Google can't even provide me with a basic free account?

The company is run by a bunch of idiots. They don't have a clue how to provide any value to YouTube Premium to make it worth while for anyone to subscribe. For example, one of the benefits listed for YouTube Premium is access to 1080p Premium quality videos. I can already watch beautiful high quality 4K videos on YouTube for free. Why would I pay money to downgrade to 1080p videos?

YouTube Premium makes no sense. The only real benefit to it is to get rid of ads. But there are other ways of doing that, and YouTube is failing miserably at blocking those ways.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:30 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Censorship negatively affects their business model, too. Hence, the success of their competition, Rumble, growing by leaps and bounds as people discover it.

I use Firefox but still see ads on Youtube. I watch the countdown in the lower right corner and as soon as SKIP appears, I click it!
I had not noticed how fast it was growing, until you mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I noticed that. A good time to go into the kitchen for another cuppa!
That is one of my remedies, too. Let my machine watch the ad on their machine. I will be back in a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post

We are in a bizarre sort of "arms race" with ads and ways to ignore them, with each side getting more annoying, to the other. There are other business models that could work (I have discussed a couple of them, in here), but I see no progress towards them. I wonder how much longer this ad (or an optional, over priced, subscription) based model can go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
One word, "greed". They know what they are doing. They don't care if you like it or not, they are going to throw every possible type of ad at you, they can.
That is a pretty clear picture of the situation.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

That is one of my remedies, too. Let my machine watch the ad on their machine. I will be back in a minute.

We are in a bizarre sort of "arms race" with ads and ways to ignore them, with each side getting more annoying, to the other. There are other business models that could work (I have discussed a couple of them, in here), but I see no progress towards them. I wonder how much longer this ad (or an optional, over priced, subscription) based model can go on.

That is a pretty clear picture of the situation.
Rumble is gaining a cult following with people of certain political views in the US, but it's global ranking is dropping, not growing. It's also dropping in the US entertainment category. YouTube is the #2 website in the world after Google. Rumble is #297. Rumble will never be competition to YouTube, unless something drastically changes. Radical political videos are certainly not helping them.

Quote:
rumble.com

Global Rank #297 Down: 12

Country Rank #124 Up: 2 United States

Category Rank #12 Down: 1 Arts & Entertainment (In United States)
rumble.com Traffic Analytics, Ranking Stats & Tech Stack _ Similarweb

Old 12-01-2023, 02:35 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Quote:
Rumble is gaining a cult following with people of certain political views in the US, but it's global ranking is dropping, not growing. It's also dropping in the US entertainment category. YouTube is the #2 website in the world after Google. Rumble is #297.
I did some looking around on that stats site.
Pretty neat, but I never considered them an "entertainment" site, and I would suspect a substantial number of their users don't, either. That is probably the problem, but we can leave that for another day.

I hadn't looked at the site for a few years, and it is a lot bigger now, than it was before. Over 50 Million users puts it in a different legal category, in Texas (and maybe a couple other states, I haven't kept up).

Advertising is the topic here, and I noticed Rumble has advertising, seems similar to YouTube, but it doesn't seem as annoying as many other sites. I don't spend a lot of time on YouTube, so maybe I am missing some of their ads. I don't get pop ups from them, for instance, and I don't see adds disguised as legit links, like I do on some sites.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:23 AM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Quote:
Rumble
Fumble requires javascript and fails to serve up their video as proper file streams.
Fumble requires cookies to even access their site (after the first visit while withholding outbound cookies). One of their cookies "_ad" hmmm what's that used for...
"We collect your Personal Information" lol of course
Uses web beacons
If you allow Fumble to run their javascript in your browser, it will instruct your system to make connections to facebook.com, googleapis.com, googletagmanager.com, doubleclick.net, and jsdelivr.net
"fbevents.js" ooooh that sounds benign lololol

Rumble is an absolute dumpster fire, it's almost as bad as youtube.

What's hilarious to me is that you have a sizable crowd who proclaim "that's it! Youtube is censoring things I like. I'm moving to RUMBLE where I won't be mistreated!"
Yeah okay lol how's that working out for ya?
You just can't help some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet