Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:12 PM

99 posts, read 57,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Uh, ever seen the White River? Sure, it's not a behemoth like the Ohio, but it IS a river and it does run right through the downtown area...

RM
how does Bloomington compare to Iowa city?

Old 01-26-2024, 04:40 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I always wonder about people longing to live near "lively" streets or pedestrian malls featuring shops, bars, and restaurants. Are you REALLY going to spend every evening and weekend day walking up and down that street, shopping at those specialty stores, eating out, and drinking? Probably not! I live within walking distance of one and NEVER go there.
"Every" evening ? Probably not. Maybe not even most evenings.

It's nice to have those as an option should one desire access to these amenities, and something to be said about not needing a car for every task one needs to leave the house for.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:28 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1234 View Post
Yea I can't imagine wanting to live in some boring suburb of any city, period, but it depend son the person and where you are in life. The sentiments I expressed about Indy are similar to what a lot of CD posters have said in old "Indy vs. XX" threads I was reading through last night, so I don't feel I am incorrect, but the poster from Louisiana is also probably correct in that I could give it more of a chance

I hadn't heard of Irvington until last night
Irvington is a former "street car suburb." If you're not into BR, you're probably going to be underwhelmed by Irv too.

I don't really take a lot of those city v city threads seriously. That forum is dominated by folks who haven't even been to the cities they're arguing about, or they've got an agenda and try to make their city seem better than it is by tearing other places down. It's just a weird place.

Having said that, I think this is where Indy's past hurts it at least in the world of Internet forums. Indy in 2002 was even less vibrant than it is today. We've come a long way in just the last 10 years. There's a lot of folks who haven't been here at all or in the last 15 years thinking Indy is the same place it was a decade ago. Like most cities, Indy has changed a lot but that old rep still exists.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:47 PM

Pacers game was cool tn.

Part of the problem with Indy is that the architecture isn't old enough to feel really quaint or cool, and Isn't new enough to have seem like a lot of effort was built into rebuilding/revitalizing the city (outside of like office buildings and some motels which are newer). Kind of caught inbetween, IMO

The other thing is there's no neighborhood with more of like a premium/upscale feel

Last edited by baller1234; 01-26-2024 at 09:56 PM..

Old 01-28-2024, 04:47 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
How about Bloomington?

Old 01-29-2024, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
How about Bloomington?
Haven't checked it out yet-was going to thus weekend but didn't feel like driving in the rain.Probably going to go next weekend.

A twice a week commute from there to Indy is actually realistic unlike Louisville/cincy

Last edited by baller1234; 01-29-2024 at 01:46 AM..

Old 01-29-2024, 03:46 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1234 View Post
Haven't checked it out yet-was going to thus weekend but didn't feel like driving in the rain.Probably going to go next weekend.

A twice a week commute from there to Indy is actually realistic unlike Louisville/cincy
Easy drive down SR 37, or I-64 these days, I guess.

RM

Old 01-29-2024, 07:18 AM

8,492 posts, read 8,774,574 times
OP, where is home or the best place you've lived? Was it a bigger city? Why did you move / i.e. decide it was better overall to move than stay? Would you go back? Why did you move from Florida?

How long have you been in Indy? Have you made friends or work friends? How hard have you tried? What's not working? For many it is never the same or as easy as youth or college.

"Walking around" and happy urban vibes are probably somewhat influenced by weather for many. How about for you? How much of your behavior and mood is influenced by weather and can you adjust that? Did you like Indy better outside winter or have you experienced it yet?

If you enjoyed the Pacers game, do that or sports bars more often. Find other basketball people. Any thing you have enjoyed in Indy or elsewhere, do it more often.

How important is your work / current work place to you? The impression / guess is not that important. Right or wrong, I'd focus a lot of attention on that.

There are those that think most or all issues are with a city / metro and those who think most issues are a person's own. If you were in a small city or town, I might understand coping / preferences more but Indy metro is pretty big from my viewpoint. If it is not "enough" for you, go bigger, not lateral or smaller.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-29-2024 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-29-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
OP, where is home or the best place you've lived? Was it a bigger city? Why did you move / i.e. decide it was better overall to move than stay? Would you go back? Why did you move from Florida?

How long have you been in Indy? Have you made friends or work friends? How hard have you tried? What's not working? For many it is never the same or as easy as youth or college.

"Walking around" and happy urban vibes are probably somewhat influenced by weather for many. How about for you? How much of your behavior and mood is influenced by weather and can you adjust that? Did you like Indy better outside winter or have you experienced it yet? I feel the size of Indy on paper is misleading

If you enjoyed the Pacers game, do that or sports bars more often. Find other basketball people. Any thing you have enjoyed in Indy or elsewhere, do it more often.

How important is your work / current work place to you? The impression / guess is not that important. Right or wrong, I'd focus a lot of attention on that.

There are those that think most or all issues are with a city / metro and those who think most issues are a person's own. If you were in a small city or town, I might understand coping / preferences more but Indy metro is pretty big from my viewpoint. If it is not "enough" for you, go bigger, not lateral or smaller.
Not long-Less than 2 months. Yes in General it is difficult anywhere not make friends as an adult. Most friendships are situational and as you get older you just aren't around people all the time like in college.

I moved for work. I was hesitant about my relocation but others encouraged me to go and I shouldn't have listened, mostly to my mom's advice. It wasn't as bad when I visited in late fall but I def still had my doubts then. Mistake for sure. In general I don't care for winter.

I think sports is one thing people will agree Indy does have going for it, but I don't think it has much else going for it outside of that. The only things worth seeing are The area by the arena, some stuff by mass ave, and BR. Not a lot for a "large metro area". I don't see what the area of the metro matters if there isn't much to see in the metro.

[/quote] How important is your work / current work place to you? The impression / guess is not that important. Right or wrong, I'd focus a lot of attention on that. [/quote]

What do you mean by focus your attention? But your impression is correct, if it outweighed the desire to live elsewhere, I would not be considering leaving Indiana already.

Do you live in Indy or just commenting generally?

Last edited by baller1234; 01-29-2024 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-29-2024, 10:07 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Reading your original post again, it sounds like this is actually a question for your EMPLOYER. You say you go in twice a week, and that wouldn't be feasible living in Louisville, but if a) you could eventually go in either ONCE a week or b) your two days a week could be one after the after (in which case you'd spend the night there), it WOULD be feasible. So whether or not you can handle the commute depends entirely on those two answers. Whether or not Louisville is superior to Indianapolis isn't the issue, but as so often happens here, "thread drift."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis