Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 08:23 PM

4,450 posts, read 5,178,355 times

Advertisements

We hear everyone mention that the country needs illegals as a workforce, voters or supporters of Social Security. I honestly think these things are secondary to the big reason. More consumers

We have arguments against/for the other things. How about this?

I am wondering why the grow the workforce crowd doesn’t use this as an argument. Probably because it sounds a bit too greedy, like the grow the liberal voter base crowd does(yet deny).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 06:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,751 posts, read 18,091,770 times
Well, that's as good an explanation as any as to why neither party will do anything about illegal immigration.

My belief, though, is it's because both parties want to have something to argue about.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:09 AM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, that's as good an explanation as any as to why neither party will do anything about illegal immigration.

My belief, though, is it's because both parties want to have something to argue about.
So the Republicans have done nothing to deter illegal immigration? What about Trump's wall and the other policies he implemented to deter illegal immigration? What about the Republican House bill passed last year that the Democrats refused to sign? What about the e-verify bills that the Republicans have tried to pass but the Democrats refused to sign? What about the Republicans implementing work place raids and ending catch and release that both Obama and Biden put an end to? What about the Republicans anti-amnesty position?

If the parties just want something to argue about I'm sure they could find plenty of other issues to do so and they do it constantly. Illegal immigration isn't an arguing point it's a national security and economic risk.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:52 AM

24,598 posts, read 17,342,634 times
Maybe it is about consumerism and creating a bigger tax base but what it is really all about is creating a future voting block for the Dems.

What is really odd about this whole Open Border thing is that the Left that is largely for it is also the loudest group telling us that Climate change is going to kill us all. The biggest thing driving Climate change, so they tell us is our First World wasteful ways and huge carbon footprint. Common sense would tell us we need to reduce the population to reduce Climate change but thanks to Biden in 4 short years we have added at least 12 Million "New Americans" that will soon be contributing plenty of First World pollution to the world.

Oh well I guess in the end Votes mean more than the Climate?

Old 05-11-2024, 12:09 PM

1,964 posts, read 844,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Maybe it is about consumerism and creating a bigger tax base but what it is really all about is creating a future voting block for the Dems.

What is really odd about this whole Open Border thing is that the Left that is largely for it is also the loudest group telling us that Climate change is going to kill us all. The biggest thing driving Climate change, so they tell us is our First World wasteful ways and huge carbon footprint. Common sense would tell us we need to reduce the population to reduce Climate change but thanks to Biden in 4 short years we have added at least 12 Million "New Americans" that will soon be contributing plenty of First World pollution to the world.

Oh well I guess in the end Votes mean more than the Climate?
U.S. population 2000 - 282.4 Million
U.S. population 2023 - 341.8 Million

Increase in 23 years - 59.4 Million

This is with a fertility rate of 1.66. We need a 2.1 rate to sustain the population. And they say there are only 11 to 13 million illegal aliens in the country.

Boy are we ever being gaslighted.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:23 PM

25,975 posts, read 12,977,807 times
Most links you'll find online say positive things about immigration and GDP (consumerism)...like this one:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ecade-cbo-says

Most of the links that say immigrants increasse GDP ar not actual studies, but prognotications...guesses.

This link is based upon real numbers, but its UK based:

https://www.euronews.com/business/20...h-warns-report

Its a matter of which do you believe. I think its more a matter of WHO you let in...let in unskilled non-English speakers that may have been let out of foreign prisons, who are poor, & w/o any sponsors here in the USA, & they will not boost GDP.

Old 05-11-2024, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Most links you'll find online say positive things about immigration and GDP (consumerism)...like this one:

Most of the links that say immigrants increasse GDP ar not actual studies, but prognotications...guesses.

Its a matter of which do you believe. I think its more a matter of WHO you let in...let in unskilled non-English speakers that may have been let out of foreign prisons, who are poor, & w/o any sponsors here in the USA, & they will not boost GDP.
Since this is the illegal immigration forum "immigrants" have nothing to do with those stats. Sources often blur the lines between illegal aliens and real immigrants who are here legally so their claims and stats are worthless.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:52 PM

1,964 posts, read 844,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Since this is the illegal immigration forum "immigrants" have nothing to do with those stats. Sources often blur the lines between illegal aliens and real immigrants who are here legally so their claims and stats are worthless.
Legal immigrants tend to have a higher education level than illegals, something the radical leftists totally ignore. They also ignore the difference between legal and illegal, and pretend there is no difference between the two groups.

Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM

13,936 posts, read 8,110,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I got my Japanese wife (married 19 years at the time) a green card in 2019. My US tax returns showed a nice income, and I have a pretty penny in assets. If any application should have been rubber stamped it was my wife’s application. Yet, it took just over a year to be approved.

I suspect only a very small number of entering the US today would qualify to enter legally.

So, if you want to come to America and see what it's all about. You bum rush the border with 5k-10k other people, memorize a script seeking asylum or whatever and you're now in the US. I can dig it. I went to another country without speaking the language when I was 24 seeking fame and fortune. However, I entered the country legally.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/66363588-post7.html

Unless you've spent an extended period of time living outside the US, you won't understand how attractive America looks to many around the world. Everyone grows up watching American movies, TV and listening to American music. For many… America is it. The place to go assuming you can get in. Of course, tens of thousands of people were crossing the border each month.

As far as the Phx metro where I live and own rental property. I often hire small companies and not long ago costs were going up for landscapers, those who install/repair irrigation systems, trim trees, install/replace tile or paint.

However, today I can bargain because there is more competition for my business. I also suspect many of the men who do the actual work are new to the US. Why? Because they often speak no English outside of thank you. The guy who did tile work a while back said nothing to me except "No English" but he was good. The owner texted me and told me to give him the check when he finished.

Regarding rents: they are strong in the Phoenix metro, and I suspect illegal immigration has played a part here too. Az has seen a record number of illegals crossing the border and given the Phx area is conducive for those who only speak Spanish it's not surprising many decide to stay.
https://www.npr.org/2024/01/05/12231...number-of-migr

But is any of the above a positive for Dick and Jane with two children living in Mesa and trying to make ends meet?

I suspect not.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I got my Japanese wife (married 19 years at the time) a green card in 2019. My US tax returns showed a nice income, and I have a pretty penny in assets. If any application should have been rubber stamped it was my wife’s application. Yet, it took just over a year to be approved.

I suspect only a very small number of entering the US today would qualify to enter legally.

So, if you want to come to America and see what it's all about. You bum rush the border with 5k-10k other people, memorize a script seeking asylum or whatever and you're now in the US. I can dig it. I went to another country without speaking the language when I was 24 seeking fame and fortune. However, I entered the country legally.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/66363588-post7.html

Unless you've spent an extended period of time living outside the US, you won't understand how attractive America looks to many around the world. Everyone grows up watching American movies, TV and listening to American music. For many… America is it. The place to go assuming you can get in. Of course, tens of thousands of people were crossing the border each month.

As far as the Phx metro where I live and own rental property. I often hire small companies and not long ago costs were going up for landscapers, those who install/repair irrigation systems, trim trees, install/replace tile or paint.

However, today I can bargain because there is more competition for my business. I also suspect many of the men who do the actual work are new to the US. Why? Because they often speak no English outside of thank you. The guy who did tile work a while back said nothing to me except "No English" but he was good. The owner texted me and told me to give him the check when he finished.

Regarding rents: they are strong in the Phoenix metro, and I suspect illegal immigration has played a part here too. Az has seen a record number of illegals crossing the border and given the Phx area is conducive for those who only speak Spanish it's not surprising many decide to stay.
https://www.npr.org/2024/01/05/12231...number-of-migr

But is any of the above a positive for Dick and Jane with two children living in Mesa and trying to make ends meet?

I suspect not.
If you're not checking that the workers you are using are here legally then you are a part of the problem. Far too many Americans don't care just as long as they think they are saving a buck while they are helping to put Americans out of work.

It doesn't matter what entices these illegals to come here either. They are coming here in violation of our immigration laws and they know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration