Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 01:46 PM

9,401 posts, read 14,347,580 times

Advertisements

Almost all advanced industrialized countries, by now including China, are experiencing below-replacement citizen birth rates.

There could be many reasons; one may be that wealth to the point of producing nothing of tangible value with one’s own hands is deathly boring.

We are awash in wealth and we are bored to death.

Death.

Gee, that sounds horrible, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 02:36 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Honestly, I find your request to control someone's speech offensive. I am 60+ years old, and "illegal aliens" has been the term I have heard throughout my life to describe people coming into our country *illegally.*

I will not be jumping on the bandwagon that calls them newcomers or migrants.
I am 60+ too. I have NO PROBLEM using language that does not demean or degrade others. That was not a part of MY "Good Old Days".

I am also a WASP - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, and I am originally from NYC. I have ancestors who volunteered with the underground railroad, and others, who worked in The Lower East Side to fight for safer working conditions for women and girls following the infamous Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire.

Yes. Many of the new immigrants were exploited as cheap labor.

I also have a grandmother whose father was an immigrant from Germany. Her father came here without a passport and entered through Ellis Island. He also served AGAINST his former country in WW1.
My German grandmother was born in "Kleine Deutschland" - Little Germany, a section of the Lower East side. She was born in an Old Law Tenement apartment in NYC's Lower East Side.

I also have an ancestor who came here on the Mayflower.

By your standards, they were all "illegals".

Don't use the fact that you are a Boomer and an excuse for being RUDE.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:38 PM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This crap again? There are no jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage. Who do you think were doing them before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border willing to work for less?

We are not in the middle of an industrial revolution like we were a hundred or so years ago. We were a wide open frontier with manual labor needed to build this country. Not so today! Our population has increased immensely since Ellis Island and our natural and social resources are being stretched thin.

We do have a legal immigration process today and we still allow in over one million immigrants a year. We cannot however allow everyone into our country that wants to come here especially the poor, uneducated and unskilled that are these illegal aliens whom end up being a fiscal burden on our society.

Illegal = the unlawful presence of a someone in our country. Alien= a foreigner. So just how is that offensive? It is the lawful immigration term for them. You are either a bleeding heart liberal, have ethnic ties to these illegals or you hire them for profit. Which is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Honestly, I find your request to control someone's speech offensive. I am 60+ years old, and "illegal aliens" has been the term I have heard throughout my life to describe people coming into our country *illegally.*

I will not be jumping on the bandwagon that calls them newcomers or migrants.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:21 PM

63,059 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am 60+ too. I have NO PROBLEM using language that does not demean or degrade others. That was not a part of MY "Good Old Days".

I am also a WASP - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, and I am originally from NYC. I have ancestors who volunteered with the underground railroad, and others, who worked in The Lower East Side to fight for safer working conditions for women and girls following the infamous Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire.

I also have a grandmother whose father was an immigrant from Germany. Her father came here without a passport and entered through Ellis Island. He also served AGAINST his former country in WW1.
My German grandmother was born in "Kleine Deutschland" - Little Germany, a section of the Lower East side. She was born in an Old Law Tenement apartment in NYC's Lower East Side.

Anyone who came here on the Mayflower were not illegals. There were no immigration laws back then. If one entered through Ellis Island they were not illegals either. Are you for real?

The lawful immigration term for those in our country illegally IS illegal alien and I already explained to you what that term means. You have yet to explain how calling a spade a spade is offensive. Since when are we supposed to make up our own terms for them instead of using the lawful immigration term for them that are written in our laws?

I couldn't care less about offending law breakers. Why would you? They offended the law, the victims they left in their wake and were rude to do so but that's ok with you? Huh?

I see you wouldn't answer my question as to what your vested interest is in these illegal aliens. Typical.

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-07-2024 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-07-2024, 08:54 PM

6,242 posts, read 3,623,769 times
Why aren't they increasing LEGAL immigration to offset the declining birth rate? Or increasing child tax credits?

Old 05-07-2024, 10:28 PM

6,489 posts, read 6,701,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Please elaborate on the bolded, because i am completely baffled. And explain what "my standards" are that would, according to you, cause me to consider all your mentioned family members to be "illegals."

In my lifetime, there has always been a distinction between legal and illegal immigration. This is true for every country (as far as I know), not just the USA. I do not consider either of those terms "rude," and I don't understand why anyone would.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:34 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Why aren't they increasing LEGAL immigration to offset the declining birth rate? Or increasing child tax credits?
Because in many cases, those who comprise the "illegals", are people with few skills, that would actually enhance the US, therefore they become a burden on our society rather than an enhancement. Why would we want to increase the amount of needy people in the US??

Old 05-08-2024, 12:20 PM

165 posts, read 103,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Less people = less congressional seats
Yep, ^ this is something I realized when thinking about republican governors trafficking illegal immigrants to democrat areas. At first I thought it was a brilliant move. Then it hit me: the census is what determines congressional apportionment, and illegal immigrants ARE counted in the census. So shipping migrants to democrat areas could be the very thing that maintains or even gains house seats for those democrat states.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:33 PM

992 posts, read 1,066,125 times
So.. if the state with the most gain by Illegal Immigration, Texas, is also the most vocal against it..what does that tell everyone about the value gain form illegal immigration?

Sure..Texas sees an explosion in population and political power due to population increase but everything else is a loss.

Last year, Texas aked voters what to do with its huge tax surplus so they aren't hurting for tax revenue.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:24 PM

25,929 posts, read 12,951,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Great question. They are not stupid, so it's not that. They have an ulterior motive.

What could those be?

-They could be trying to cash in on this human tidal wave themselves by taking kickbacks from the Cartels.

-Or, they want to destroy America by allowing in prisoners other countries expelled, their sickly, their poorest & most destitute, non-Englih speakers, unskilled, & maybe even Thousands of Iranians and CCP operatives.

-Or, they think this will create more votes for them, and more tax revenues

-Or, they could be bringing in cheap labor for theri Fortune 500 sponsors.

Those are the only possibilities I can think of. Do you have any others?

It all boils down to power & money, or radical idealism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration