Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2024, 11:20 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,473,988 times

Advertisements

The migrant wave since the pandemic has been unprecedented, but I have not really noticed the impact in Southern California. I feel that California's demographics are changing less than in other parts of the nation. California underwent its demographic transformation from 1980 to 2010s.

-Mexican immigration to California has dramatically slowed down
-California has less appeal to non-Mexican/Northern Triangle Latinos
-the Bay Area's dramatic Asian and Indian growth of the 2010s will likely slow due to tech layoffs
-though a lot of Chinese and Indian Sikh migrants are coming to California but are poorer than the 2010s Asian wave
-California does seem to be attracting Afghan and Ukrainian refugees, especially Sacramento
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 12:51 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,025,794 times
Fresno has always had Ukrainians. But more keep coming.
More Latino Islanders are coming to Fresno(Cubans, Ricans, and Dominicans)edit: future hurricanes will bring more this way.
Philippines and southeast Asia have been dealing with record heatwaves in recent years. I expect more to arrive in Fresno and the rest of CA.
I expect more Palestinians to arrive as well. Duh.

What I'm noticing in the Fresno area.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 04-28-2024 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-29-2024, 10:26 AM

117 posts, read 49,169 times
Immigrants can’t afford 6.00 plus gas and sky high utilities and rent plus high income taxes etc. I think it’s the one thing that’s saving Ca from an invasion of illegals.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 PM

30,372 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobound65 View Post
Immigrants can’t afford 6.00 plus gas and sky high utilities and rent plus high income taxes etc. I think it’s the one thing that’s saving Ca from an invasion of illegals.
That's silly. Here in Silicon Valley, immigrants make up some of our highest earners.

You do know the difference between legal skilled immigrants vs illegal and/or unskilled - right?

Old 04-30-2024, 08:40 AM

117 posts, read 49,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's silly. Here in Silicon Valley, immigrants make up some of our highest earners.

You do know the difference between legal skilled immigrants vs illegal and/or unskilled - right?
It’s why I wrote ILLEGAL

Old 04-30-2024, 09:02 AM

21,759 posts, read 16,382,430 times
Quote:
Immigrants can’t afford 6.00 plus gas and sky high utilities and rent plus high incometaxes etc. I think it’s the one thing that’s saving Ca from an invasion of illegals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Quote:
It’s why I wrote ILLEGAL
What you wrote is quoted above.
You wrote: Immigrants can’t afford 6.00 plus …” etc.
You didn’t specify *illegal immigrants can’t afford …*
Your second sentence was a separate comment, with no qualifier tying to the first.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Fresno has always had Ukrainians. But more keep coming.
More Latino Islanders are coming to Fresno(Cubans, Ricans, and Dominicans)edit: future hurricanes will bring more this way.
Philippines and southeast Asia have been dealing with record heatwaves in recent years. I expect more to arrive in Fresno and the rest of CA.
I expect more Palestinians to arrive as well. Duh.

What I'm noticing in the Fresno area.
Also a lot of Punjabi Sikhs in Fresno.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What you wrote is quoted above.
You wrote: Immigrants can’t afford 6.00 plus …” etc.
You didn’t specify *illegal immigrants can’t afford …*
Your second sentence was a separate comment, with no qualifier tying to the first.
Affluent immigrants ironically create more resentment. A lot of White people are happy with Mexican gardeners or Central American housekeepers but don't want wealthy Chinese or Indian professionals to outbid them in housing markets.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:

This could be true but very expensive NYC is getting the most migrants in the nation.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:41 AM

21,759 posts, read 16,382,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Affluent immigrants ironically create more resentment. A lot of White people are happy with Mexican gardeners or Central American housekeepers but don't want wealthy Chinese or Indian professionals to outbid them in housing markets.
Which has nothing to do with my observation of the poster’s mis-characterization …

But yes, of course, humans love to find differences and manufacture reasons to discriminate against each other. Why, some people even post obsessively about racial demographics on social media to feed the narratives! Imagine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration