Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 05:10 PM

28 posts, read 43,760 times

Advertisements

How is the average summertime temperatures in Idaho Falls?

I used to live in Boise a few years ago and can recall it was 100 degrees every day for 3 months straight. I'm not a big fan of hot weather, prefer cooler weather. The only nice thing about Boise in the summer was that it got nice and cool in the evenings (despite the apartment retaining the daytime heat until 2am).

Also, can anyone tell me how far away trout fishing is? How long you'd have to drive from Idaho Falls to find a decent place to catch trout? Are there any flyfishing areas nearby?

Is there bass fishing in the Snake (and can you do it from shore?)

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 09:37 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Idaho Falls is typically about 5-10º cooler than Boise. If it's 100º there, it will be around 90-95º here.

Idaho Falls is also drier and less humid. It's also windier; a dead calm day is rarer here.

Trout fishing is possible inside the city limits. The Snake River runs through the heart of downtown I.F. and fishing is permitted as long as you have a legal license. There are several different areas you chan choose. Outside of town, there's plenty of access to the South Fork of the Snake all the way from I.F. to the Wyoming border.

If you want to fish the henry's Fork, it's about 90 minutes to be at the headwaters, but the convergence is closer to Idaho Falls. Henry's Fork also has plenty of access, but it's generally as close to the highways as the S. Fork.

There is also a wealth of fishing creeks in this area. The South Fork is a big waterway for this country, and is fished by boat quite a lot, but the creeks are good bank fishing. Our creeks have more native fish, and they're generally smaller. The lunkers are more often found in the Snake.

There's some bass fishing in this area, but not, I think, in the Snake, though there may be some. I've never fished for bass, but a friend has locally. I would have to talk to him to know where the best spots are.

A last word: Idaho is intent on restoring our native fish populations, so there are some strictly enforced limits on some native species. Other species can't be fished at all. Rainbows aren't native, and their catch has larger limits. Some waters are also closed to fishing, especially the hatchery creeks and some tributaries.

Before you go fishing for the first time here, it pays to know what our natives look like, and a first trip is best. planned as a catch and release. Our licenses are very easy to get and they have the info, as do other sources.

There are more bass in the Twin Falls area than here. This is mostly trout country, and Idaho Falls is as good as any as a hub for trout fishermen.
It's about 2 hours from here to the Montana border and the Madison, the Gallatin, and other fishing rivers there, and 2 hours west of Wyoming's trout rivers. The Snake's headwaters are less than 100 miles from here (much shorter by the crow flies; the Snake got it's name because it doesn't have a straight mile in it.)

Old 01-30-2022, 08:14 AM

60 posts, read 38,532 times
I cannot think of any place with a more comfortable summer climate than east idaho. Its high mountain air that cools in the shade and drastically cools at night. However, the winters have me question why I live here.

I have caught small mouth bass in some of the local reservoirs. Far less common catch than trout. In fact, fish & game gives rewards and prizes, up to $500, for catching and keeping rainbow trout. Its an invasive species. Fly fishing is amazing in both Henry's fork and the south fork and all their creeks. There are 6 foot long sturgeon in the snake river. I think you can catch them but not keep them. You can catch kokanee salmon in the higher reservoirs. They turn bright red in the fall.

Last edited by Theotherdude2; 01-30-2022 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-30-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude2 View Post
I cannot think of any place with a more comfortable summer climate than east idaho. Its high mountain air that cools in the shade and drastically cools at night. However, the winters have me question why I live here.

I have caught small mouth bass in some of the local reservoirs. Far less common catch than trout. In fact, fish & game gives rewards and prizes, up to $500, for catching and keeping rainbow trout. Its an invasive species. Fly fishing is amazing in both Henry's fork and the south fork and all their creeks. There are 6 foot long sturgeon in the snake river. I think you can catch them but not keep them. You can catch kokanee salmon in the higher reservoirs. They turn bright red in the fall.
I don't think you can catch sturgeon legally.
I forgot to mention lake trout; many are huge rainbows, and the state wants their numbers to be reduced too. Yellowstone Lake is famous for those big fish.

The winters are always going to be cold. They're the flip side of summer.

Just yesterday, I was thinking about how much I like the days we've had this week; clear skies, brilliant sunshine, and cold as all getouts.

On days like this, your face is toasty, and your butt is freezing. But everything is sure beautiful.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude2 View Post

Thanks to all who responded. I'm primarily interested in catching and eating (or smoking) rainbow trout.

What don't you like about winters? Are the winters in IF similar to Boise? Long, cold (temps in the teens), and little sun from Oct to about April (or into May)? I will take that any day over the miserable summer heat here in Vegas. 110+.

Is the Snake a cold river? I find that rainbow trout from colder waters taste the best IMO.

Hopefully I can find a small house for rent in IF when my lease here in Vegas is up in June (and one that will allow me to use a smoker in the backyard)...and hopefully under $1,500/mo. in a reasonably safe area.

p.s. forgot to ask: Is there legal deer (buck) hunting within a short driving distance of IF? And are there hunting clubs I can join to make friends? I have a 2wd car and can't go far into the countryside.

Last edited by Needanewhome123; 01-30-2022 at 02:04 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 04:10 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
The wind is a major issue in Idaho Falls and the immediate area. Winters are long and harsh, more extreme compared to Boise.

Last Summer was the hottest on record in SE Idaho with many days at or above 100 degrees.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The wind is a major issue in Idaho Falls and the immediate area. Winters are long and harsh, more extreme compared to Boise.

Last Summer was the hottest on record in SE Idaho with many days at or above 100 degrees.

I grew up less than 5 miles from the ocean. When I got older, I lived in an apartment on the beach in California for a few years where the winds were constant (usually). Didn't bother me much.

Would you say the average winds in IF are comparable to that? With the occasional high winds every time a storm blows through the area?

Having lived in Boise for a few years, the cold never really bothered me "as such." The only time I didn't like winter was March/April when I got tired of the cold weather and wanted spring to return asap. I recall not being able to open my apartment windows in Jan/Feb/March-ish because the cold would come rushing in. I also got nosebleeds for the first time in my life in Boise...unsure as to why. They stopped when I moved away. Doctor wanted to shove something up my nose to cauterize it and I nope'd out of his office.

Having lived in both extreme cold and extreme hot environments, I'd take the cold any day of the week. Just turn up the heater and add another layer of clothing vs. nothing you can do to get cooler in the Vegas summers.

I'm rambling...

Old 01-31-2022, 07:05 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needanewhome123 View Post
I grew up less than 5 miles from the ocean. When I got older, I lived in an apartment on the beach in California for a few years where the winds were constant (usually). Didn't bother me much.

Would you say the average winds in IF are comparable to that? With the occasional high winds every time a storm blows through the area?

Having lived in Boise for a few years, the cold never really bothered me "as such." The only time I didn't like winter was March/April when I got tired of the cold weather and wanted spring to return asap. I recall not being able to open my apartment windows in Jan/Feb/March-ish because the cold would come rushing in. I also got nosebleeds for the first time in my life in Boise...unsure as to why. They stopped when I moved away. Doctor wanted to shove something up my nose to cauterize it and I nope'd out of his office.

Having lived in both extreme cold and extreme hot environments, I'd take the cold any day of the week. Just turn up the heater and add another layer of clothing vs. nothing you can do to get cooler in the Vegas summers.

I'm rambling...
Yes, the velocity of the winds can be the same as coastal winds, but you'll need to subtract anywhere from 25-40° depending on time of year.

You got nose bleeds due to the arid climate, saline nasal spray can help.

It's a rare season that we open windows prior to April here!

I too have lived in the extreme heat in Central California and yes I'll take my cold Idaho winters over that easily!

It's your thread, you're allowed to ramble

Old 01-31-2022, 09:52 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needanewhome123 View Post

I'm rambling...
If you had nose bleeds from the climate and dry air then you will probably have them in I.F. too.

Spring arrives earlier in Boise and SW Idaho than it does in I.F., SE Idaho. It might be difficult to escape the summer heat in most of Idaho and even the west. Hot summers are the norm now, even in traditionally cooler climates such as Idaho Falls, North Idaho and Portland.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:09 AM

Idaho Falls' air is as dry as California's. I use a humidifier in my home to moisturize the air.

The dryness helps make the cold much more tolerable; most winters, layering works the best, with a windproof jacket on top, as all the buildings tend to be overheated.

Cleo's correct; don't plan on throwing the windows open wide until April. Even in mid-summer, our nights can be quite cool.

Life here takes adjustment if a person has been living in a warm climate for sure, but after a couple of winters here, folks always learn what it takes for them to be comfortable.

My favorite piece of apparel is an old (and expensive) merino wool sweater. I slip in on anytime I get cold year-round, and it's all I need most of the time as long as I wear a hat when it gets really cold. I add a vest on top when it's down to zero, and I'm always toasty.Wool insulates when it's wet, and it's self-regulating because it tends to shed excess heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls