Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,368 times

Advertisements

Being from Milwaukee, WI, there are tons of areas that you don't want to live due to high crime so forgive the question if it is less applicable, but are there any areas within the city that you would prefer not to live due to crime or a less than favorable environment?

Secondly, I'm a work from home guy so I need consistent internet speeds of at least 50 mbps. Am I stuck with Idaho Falls specifically or are suburbs slightly outside the area an option?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 11:11 AM

1,169 posts, read 749,809 times
Not sure how outlying you mean, but unless you're looking for farmland, really you're just talking about a few neighborhoods just outside the city limits, Ammon or out to Rigby or even Rexburg. Just about all areas are served by cable internet (CenturyLink being the main one, I think there is Rise Broadband in some areas as an option) with the typical cable speeds.

So far as neighborhoods, there are no high crime areas like there would be in a large metro, just some are better than others, some more working class or with trailers. Though I never lived in I.F. proper I spent years driving to addresses there for work, and I never found a neighborhood I wouldn't enter at anytime of the day or night. Out toward Ammon past the mall "seems" less nice, but your choices city-wide are really whether you want to be in an established older neighborhood vs one of the newer subdivisions. I would stay away from the I-15 corridor just to avoid noise.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:48 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
There are a couple of neighborhoods in I.F. I avoid, but there's no real neighborhood crime problems here and never have been.

It's nothing at all like Milwaukee.

But you still may not be able to find a house that's well suited for you. The local market is so hot at the moment homes are being sold sight unseen by purchasers who haven't even moved yet, and may not come at all.

New housing is popping up like mushrooms all over the city and county, but the demand is still greater than the supply. This growth is the most extreme I've ever experienced in my life, and I'm a native, born and raised here.
Idaho Falls has always had boom times, but this boom is enormous. It came when the town was already growing very fast as it was.

While it may be a rumor, I heard folks are arriving, going straight to the Chamber of Commerce office and trying to find a realtor to buy a house as soon as they arrive. Ready to pay cash, and to go over the asking price.

The net speed is no problem here. Idaho Falls is in the process of laying city optical lines all over, and in Ammon, their lines are already laid.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:30 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
Not sure how outlying you mean, but unless you're looking for farmland, really you're just talking about a few neighborhoods just outside the city limits, Ammon or out to Rigby or even Rexburg. Just about all areas are served by cable internet (CenturyLink being the main one, I think there is Rise Broadband in some areas as an option) with the typical cable speeds.

So far as neighborhoods, there are no high crime areas like there would be in a large metro, just some are better than others, some more working class or with trailers. Though I never lived in I.F. proper I spent years driving to addresses there for work, and I never found a neighborhood I wouldn't enter at anytime of the day or night. Out toward Ammon past the mall "seems" less nice, but your choices city-wide are really whether you want to be in an established older neighborhood vs one of the newer subdivisions. I would stay away from the I-15 corridor just to avoid noise.
Rigby, Rexburg, Chubbuck, IF, and Pocatello Blackfoot, Jerome, Firth, St. Anthonys?
No HOA's

Old 08-26-2020, 06:58 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:

There's very little housing close to I-15 at the present. (this could change in the future). Noise isn't an I-15 problem.
There is sometimes a noise problem along the 17th st. business corridor during business hours, and some other arterial streets as well.

Everything else flyer mentioned is OK.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:52 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
The big push from big cities to smaller cities is real due to political and Covid concerns. Idaho Falls likely will be a benefactor here though I hate to use that word what with the reasons why it is happening. Cities around 100 to 200k metro are likely to grow in the next few years.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,368 times
Thank you so much for your helpful replies. Exactly what I was looking for.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Rigby, Rexburg, Chubbuck, IF, and Pocatello Blackfoot, Jerome, Firth, St. Anthonys?
No HOA's
Yeah ok, but if I'm moving to Chubbuck or St Anthonys I wouldn't announce I want to move to Idaho Falls You forgot Victor, Driggs, Tetonia and Jackson Hole

Old 08-27-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonz View Post
Thank you so much for your helpful replies. Exactly what I was looking for.
FWIW, I first started visiting through the area in the 1990s when I lived in the Teton Valley (ID) to the east of there, I couldn't imagine myself living in Idaho Falls. It was a place to shop and go to the doctor. When I visit now three or four times a year I feel it has a lot going for it and I could live there. Of course what that means can be highly personal and I'm twenty-five years older But there are interesting and fun things to do, the crime rate is extremely low for its size, and the Tetons and other outdoor activities are a fairly short drive away. It's not a university town like Pocatello so the good (and bad) aspects of that are missing, but still.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:14 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Yeah ok, but if I'm moving to Chubbuck or St Anthonys I wouldn't announce I want to move to Idaho Falls You forgot Victor, Driggs, Tetonia and Jackson Hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls