Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,512 times

Advertisements

I know Idaho Falls is quite a ways from Burley but so is Boise. For some reason those are being the only two options for posting so I chose Idaho Falls. I currently live in Oregon and was looking into moving to Burley. I am white with a little bit of Native American and my husband is black with a little Native American. We have 3 kids together. Just curious if we would be received well or if that kind of thing is frowned upon here. Thank you much for honest responses.

Last edited by volosong; 04-28-2020 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: "to" to "two"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 08:29 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ore0 View Post
I know Idaho Falls is quite a ways from Burley but so is Boise. For some reason those are being the only two options for posting so I chose Idaho Falls. I currently live in Oregon and was looking into moving to Burley. I am white with a little bit of Native American and my husband is black with a little Native American. We have 3 kids together. Just curious if we would be received well or if that kind of thing is frowned upon here. Thank you much for honest responses.
This would be interesting to know. There is alot of development going on down there. I would be also curious about this. Lots of newer affordable homes coming into East Idaho.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:09 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Why Burley?

I have nothing against Burley- once had a great uncle and aunt who lived there- but if you are thinking of living in Burley and working in Idaho Falls, that's both a very long commute, a lot of wasted time, and a rather chancy proposition.

Idaho Falls does have the jobs, so folks from all over the upper valley are commuting to them along with other folks coming up from the south. So, the jobs are being filled by people from Idaho Falls, Bonneville County, Rigby, Rexburg, St. Anthony, Ashton, Ririe, and smaller towns to the north and Shelley, Firth, Blackfoot, and Pocatello to the south, along with other smaller towns.

All are closer than Burley.
If I was looking at Burley to live, natrually, I would look for work there first, and then in Pocatello secondly. Twin Falls would be next, and for me, it would be a toss-up between Pocatello and Twin as to a work commute.

Your racial mix won't matter at all in any of these places. Burley is close to the Ft. Hall Reseervation, but Pocatello and Blackfoot are closer if your Native American heritage is important to the decision.

Burley is an old, small farm town that grew 100 years ago as a good railroad siding, but hasn't grown much since. Like lots of towns like it, the folks who live there tend to all be from families who have lived in the area for generations, still work the land, and stay because family is there.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:18 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
There could be issues... there or many places. Has there ever been issues for your family before? Some of it probably is skill navigating, some of it is luck (good or bad).

There is some gang activity there, like most places. Trouble might come out of that or otherwise.

I'd visit for a few days before committing, talk to folks direct (including school district and police) and use your own instincts to decide.

Burley is in the outer orbit of Twin Falls. About 10,000 in town, 25k in the county. About 61% white, 37% hispanic, 1% Native American. 1% Asian and just 0.1% black. Mostly conservative. At least half LDS.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-01-2020 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-02-2020, 01:29 AM

In my situation, I would have no more commutes and surely I don't want to end up in any more traffic jams like we have here 24/7
Population density here is too many fish in the tank. Plus freeways and infrastructure is in a real bad condition.
Plus we do not want to be near any schools or airports. I have a condition with noise and certain frequencies that irritate me real real bad.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
For you Nowhereman, living south of Burley might work. Low density. 40-50 minutes mostly on Interstate to big box stores in Twin Falls. Enough trees? Depends on property and your standards.

"Might" work, as long as you accept what a place that size has and does not have.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-02-2020 at 09:01 PM..

Old 05-02-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
For you Nowhereman, living south of Burley might work. Low density. 40-50 minutes mostly on Interstate to big box stores in Twin Falls. Enough trees? Depends on property and your standards.
Thank you for your input

Old 09-08-2023, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 659 times
I know i am super late to this message, but i just saw it and thought would share. I live in Burley with my family which consists of a black wife and biracial son. Granted we have lived in Burley for 13 years now together, but we are thriving as a family. My wife is very well liked and i joke that she is more of a local than me, as she gets hellos from so many people as we are out and about. We feel safe always whenever we are out. Our son is doing well in public school, lots of friends likes teachers etc. Of Course there are naive or curious people that may stare or ask dumb questions about hair, how we meet etc, but they are harmless. We truly enjoy calling Burley home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls